What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on January 31, 2013, 11:00:36 AM
I am familiar with other Tippett works but don't recall ever hearing this - and since I like Tippett, am eager to hear it. And the Juilliard players are excellent; the orchestra rivals any group of professional players.

Best of all, the concert is FREE.

--Bruce

Oh, how lucky you are to live in NYC. :D Yeah, I've heard the Juilliard Orchestra is really good. Look forward to reading your write-up about the concert. By the way, this Tippett work dates from his early period.

jlaurson

tonight:

Bruckner 7

Gubaidulina Fachwerk
(Bayan Concerto)

Geir Draugsvoll

Valery Gergiev

MPhil

Obradovic

24 FEB-Athens, Megaron
A. Dvořák: Carnival Overture
F. Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto
J. Sibelius: Symphony No.1
Julian Rachlin, violin, Orchestre National de France Vassily Sinaisky
Sinaisky replaces Sir Colin Davis. Hoping the 84 year old Sir Colin is well in his health

MishaK

CSO just announced its 2013/2014 season. Highlights for me:

- Muti does complete Verdi Macbeth
- Muti does complete Schubert symphony cycle
- MTT Mahler 9
- Denève Berlioz Symphonie fantastique
- Eschenbach Bruckner 9
- Dutoit Saint-Saens Organ Symphony
- a Beyond the Score presentation on Ives No.2!

I must say, I am most stoked about the prospect of hearing Denève do Berlioz!

Brian

Quote from: MishaK on February 06, 2013, 01:35:53 PM

!!!!

Hmmm, I might have to visit Chicago for a weekend.

MishaK

Quote from: Brian on February 06, 2013, 01:37:51 PM
!!!!

Hmmm, I might have to visit Chicago for a weekend.

His CSO debut last season was one of the best concerts I have heard in eons. Really took advantage of what that orchestra can do when it's "on".

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Assuming, of course, he doesn't get sick for half the season.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

MishaK

Quote from: Velimir on February 06, 2013, 02:31:08 PM
Assuming, of course, he doesn't get sick for half the season.

...and decides that the best "cure" would be to share his germs with his friends in First Class on the next transatlantic flight to Italy.  ;)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I just read a brief overview of the season here:

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/

At first glance, not much to get me out of the house. But I was pleased to see they're doing Schuman's 6th Symphony (with Slatkin), one of the great criminally neglected American symphonies.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

- MTT Mahler 9
- Eschenbach Bruckner 9
- Dutoit Saint-Saens Organ Symphony
- a Beyond the Score presentation on Ives No.2!

I must say, I am most stoked about the prospect of hearing Denève do Berlioz!

Some great stuff! Have to say, Muti's appearances here with Chicago over the last few years have been pretty fantastic. That concert Macbeth should be stunning.

On Feb. 19 here:

Henze: Whispers from Heavenly Death (1948)
Henze: Sonata (1959)
Stockhausen: Mikrophonie I (1964)

German Consulate New York
Talea Ensemble
Sylvie Robert, soprano
Steven Beck, piano
Special guest and percussionist: Robyn Schulkowsky

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: Brewski on February 07, 2013, 10:11:12 AM
That concert Macbeth should be stunning.

Or not. So far, Muti has had a track record here in Chicago of picking rather uneven vocalists. Take the new CSO Verdi Requiem recording as a case in point (his only! recording here so far - Haitink was more productive in that respect): superlative orchestral and choral performance, whose potential reference status is scuttled by a soprano past her prime and other soloist who are passable at best.

Brian

I just won two free tickets to a concert tomorrow night here in Dallas!

Overture on Hebrew Themes for String Quartet, Clarinet, and Piano, Op. 34....Sergei Prokofiev
Piano Quintet in C Minor, Op. 1..........................................................................Ernõ Dohnányi
Piano Trio No. 1 in Bb Major, D. 898...................................................................Franz Schubert

Gregory Allen - Piano
Nai-Yuan Hu - Violin
Philip Lewis - Violin
Che-Yen Chen - Viola
Eugene Osadchy - Cello
John Scott - Clarinet

Now I need to find someone else who wants to go...

bhodges

Quote from: MishaK on February 07, 2013, 11:33:53 AM
Or not. So far, Muti has had a track record here in Chicago of picking rather uneven vocalists. Take the new CSO Verdi Requiem recording as a case in point (his only! recording here so far - Haitink was more productive in that respect): superlative orchestral and choral performance, whose potential reference status is scuttled by a soprano past her prime and other soloist who are passable at best.

Oh, that's a shame (the Verdi Requiem). His cast for the concert Otello here a few years ago was just fine - and he and the orchestra were splendid. And didn't realize he hadn't recorded much yet - hope that changes. I actually wrote a note to Marc Geelhoed (@CSO Resound), asking if they'd consider releasing the Respighi Feste Romane from last year. Doesn't sound like it's in the cards, though...

--Bruce

Fafner

It has been a while since I last was in our local concert hall, but I plan to go next week:

Britten - Suite on English Folk Tunes
Martinů - Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra
Elgar - Introduction and Allegro for Strings
Elgar - Enigma Variations

Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Petr Vronský
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

listener

ELGAR= Enigma Variations  here next week (seems to be flavour of the month, or  copyright has lapsed), with a sudent orchestra supplementing the Vancouver Symphony +    BRITTEN - Violin Concerto  and DELIUS - Brigg Fair
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

MishaK

Quote from: Brewski on February 08, 2013, 12:39:17 PM
Oh, that's a shame (the Verdi Requiem). His cast for the concert Otello here a few years ago was just fine - and he and the orchestra were splendid. And didn't realize he hadn't recorded much yet - hope that changes. I actually wrote a note to Marc Geelhoed (@CSO Resound), asking if they'd consider releasing the Respighi Feste Romane from last year. Doesn't sound like it's in the cards, though...

Our dear maestro doesn't like to have to compete with his recently reissued recorded former Philadelphia or London self, it seems. And since he has practically recorded his entire repertoire already that sort of limits things.  ;)

Todd

I will be hearing Marc Andre Hamelin in person on March 3.  He'll be playing an eclectic set: Berg's sonata, Gaspard, some Faure, some Rach, and some Hamelin.  Should be interesting at the very least. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

North Star

Quote from: Todd on February 11, 2013, 07:01:13 AM
I will be hearing Marc Andre Hamelin in person on March 3.  He'll be playing an eclectic set: Berg's sonata, Gaspard, some Faure, some Rach, and some Hamelin.  Should be interesting at the very least.

He'll be in Finland 1st of July, playing Brahms's F minor Sonata, Op. 5 and Ives's Concord Sonata - and I won't be able to go...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr