What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: listener on April 18, 2013, 04:28:30 PM
BBC Proms 2013 just announced
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms

Very nice programs.

Would love to see this all DOWLAND program and THIS ONE featuring Gorecki and Tchaikovsky's best symphonies.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: listener on April 18, 2013, 04:28:30 PM
BBC Proms 2013 just announced
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms

How amazing, I saw the programme yesterday; there will be lots of wonderful concerts, lots of Wagner's operas. ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Papy Oli

Booked a couple of Snape concerts during the Aldeburgh festival in June :

Sandrine Piau (soprano)
Susan Manoff (piano)

Mendelssohn - Neue Liebe; Nachtlied; Hexenlied (Andres Maienlied)
Chausson - Amour d'antan; Dans la forêt du charme et de l'enchantement; Les heures
Berg - Seven Early Songs
Debussy - Fêtes Galantes Book I
Richard Strauss - Morgen; Die Nacht Op 10 No 3; Ständchen
Schoenberg - Four Songs Op 2
Britten - The Sally Gardens; There's none to soothe; I wonder as I wander

Quatuor Mosaïques

Purcell - Three Fantasias
Haydn Quartet - Op.76 No.6
Schubert - Quartet No.15 in G major

Looking forward to seeing them again - they are one of my best live memories to date.

Christian Zacharias (piano)

Scarlatti - Sonata in B minor K27
Brahms - Rhapsody in B minor op.79 No.1
Mozart - Adagio in B minor KV 540
Haydn - Sonata in B minor Hob.XVI: 32
Schubert - Moments Musicaux; Impromptu No.3 in B-flat major

Olivier

bhodges

This week, going to three of the six "Spring for Music" concerts at Carnegie. The program brings six orchestras from around the country - groups selected for their unusual programs, and all tickets are priced at $25.

Monday
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
Marin Alsop, music director

John Adams: Shaker Loops
Jennifer Higdon: Concerto 4-3 (Time for Three, string trio, New York Premiere)
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 4 (1947 version)

Friday
Detroit Symphony Orchestra
Leonard Slatkin, music director

"IVES IMMERSION"
Charles Ives: Symphony No. 1
Charles Ives: Symphony No. 2
Charles Ives: Symphony No. 3
Charles Ives: Symphony No. 4

Saturday
National Symphony Orchestra
Christoph Eschenbach, music director

"A TRIBUTE TO SLAVA"
Shchedrin: Slava, Slava – A Festive ringing of bells
Schnittke: Viola Concerto (David Aaron Carpenter, viola)
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5

--Bruce

HIPster

Looks great Bruce!

Have fun.

On Sunday, May 12, I'll be attending a concert by the Oregon Bach Collegium.  Very excited!

A nice PI group.  No fancy stuff at all.  Their concerts are quite relaxed and all about the joy of music: making music and listening to music.  So very "hip."

http://www.oregonbachcollegium.org/

Oregon Bach Collegium presents "Stylus Phantasticus: Music of Biber and Friends"

Sunday, May 12th, 3PM at United Lutheran Church, 22nd & Washington, Eugene.

Oregon Bach Collegium presents its last program of the season with "Stylus Phantasticus: Music of Biber and Friends" performed by the Oregon Bach Collegium strings directed by baroque violinist Michael Sand. The 17th century Austrian school of violin playing/composing went the Italians one further, with the development of polyphonic methods of violin playing, using deliberate mis-tunings (called "scordatura") to render double- and triple-stopping easier. Thus, a piece such as Heinrich von Biber's Partita No. 2 for Two Violins & Basso Continuo (harpsichord & viola da gamba), with the use of multiple stopping, sounds like an entire string band. Other pieces in fact use the string band, such as Johann Heinrich Schmelzer's "Fencing School", and Philip Heinrich Erlebach's Ouverture No. 4.

Georg Gottlieb Muffat's Sonata da Camera No. 5 will feature Michael Sand, as soloist. Michael is one of America's foremost exponents of the baroque violin (called by Isaac Stern "a most convincing exponent" of the instrument). Michael was also founding music director of San Francisco's Philharmonic Baroque Orchestra and is founder/director of Arcangeli Baroque Strings.

Tickets $10, $5 students, at the door or on-line. For more information, (541) 683-6648.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

listener

Should we use this thread for music heard live and leave the other one for recordings?
Live tonight, Vancouver Symphony, Ingrid Fliter, piano    Kazuyoshi Akiyama, cond.
BERLIOZ:  Le Corsair     MENDELSSOHN: Piano Concerto no. 1
BARTOK:  Divertimento for Strings      R. STRAUSS: Til Eulenspiegel
Conservative programming (including the Bartok), very fine performances.  Akiyama kept the dynamics under control so they could always get louder without losing tone.  Splendid playing by Fliter.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

North Star

Tonight (actually yesterday by now):

Johannes Gustavsson & Oulu SO, Juho Pohjonen (piano)

Beethoven 4th Piano Concerto
Beethoven 6th Symphony

Wonderful orchestral playing, their chemistry with Gustavsson has been great every time he has visited, looking forward to future seasons, when he starts his season as the new principal conductor. Pohjonen's playing was superb, too, although his tone in the high range was a bit harsh at times.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

MishaK

Something slightly unusual tonight:

Mercury Soul @ Metro
May10
9:00 PM

DJs-Classical Music-Live Electronica

Electronica and classical music collide at Mercury Soul, a hybrid musical event interspersing thrilling performances from Chicago Symphony Orchestra musicians between thumping DJ sets. No seats, no program book and plenty to drink: this is a 21st Century "salon" at its best.

Presented in collaboration with illmeasures.

Program
Bartók Allegro molto capriccioso from String Quartet No. 2
Biber Battalia
Stravinsky Three Pieces for Clarinet
Bates The Rise of Exotic Computing

Performers

Musicians from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
DJ Masonic

Benjamin Shwartz >

conductor

bhodges

Quote from: MishaK on May 10, 2013, 10:10:16 AM
Something slightly unusual tonight:

Mercury Soul @ Metro
May10
9:00 PM

DJs-Classical Music-Live Electronica

Electronica and classical music collide at Mercury Soul, a hybrid musical event interspersing thrilling performances from Chicago Symphony Orchestra musicians between thumping DJ sets. No seats, no program book and plenty to drink: this is a 21st Century "salon" at its best.

Presented in collaboration with illmeasures.

Program
Bartók Allegro molto capriccioso from String Quartet No. 2
Biber Battalia
Stravinsky Three Pieces for Clarinet
Bates The Rise of Exotic Computing

Performers

Musicians from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
DJ Masonic

Benjamin Shwartz >

conductor

"Slightly unusual," indeed - looks totally fascinating. Do report back if you have time!

--Bruce

Mountain Goat

This afternoon in St George's Bristol: Takács Quartet with Lawrence Power (viola) playing both Brahms's string quintets.

23rd May: Lohengrin at the Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff. My first Wagner opera (wish me luck  ;))

listener

Tonight:  SCHUBERT Rosamunde Overture,  BRAHMS: Double Concerto (Christian Poltéra, cello  Karen Gomyo, violin)
SIBELIUS: The 4 Legends (Lemmenkäinen Suite)
Vancouver Symphony under Akiyama again.   Excellent.  Interplay between the soloists and between the soloists and orchestra was beautiful; balances perfect,  you could actually hear melodic lines in the basses in the Brahms and Sibelius, and enough drama in the Rosamunde to make one wish the rest had been better.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 18, 2013, 12:18:24 AM
Just booked a ticket for:

Richard Wagner
Götterdämmerung, Der Ring des Nibelungen

Daniel Barenboim

Siegfried  Ian Storey
Gunther  Gerd Grochowski
Alberich  Johannes Martin Kränzle
Hagen  Mikhail Petrenko
Brünnhilde  Iréne Theorin
Gutrune  Marina Poplavskaya
               Anna Samuil
Waltraute  Waltraud Meier
Die erste Norn  Margarita Nekrasova
Die zweite Norn  Waltraud Meier
Die dritte Norn  Marina Poplavskaya
                         Anna Samuil
Woglinde  Aga Mikolaj
Wellgunde  Maria Gortsevskaya
Flosshilde  Anna Lapkovska

Next May, at Teatro alla Scala; so so happy!!! ;D

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm really looking forward to this performance. ;D Because of severe pain in his right hip and leg, Barenboim won't be the conductor for the opera and he will be replaced by Karl-Heinz Steffens.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Seeing this one tomorrow with academy friends at Southbank. So incredibly excited, what a thrilling programme! :D

Debussy: Prelude a l'apres midi d'un faune
Varese: Ameriques
-
Stravinsky: Rite of Spring

Philharmonia/Salonen

8)  ;D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

MishaK

Coming up, a rare chance to hear Bruckner 1:

Saturday, June 15, 8:00 p.m.

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Riccardo Muti conductor
Rudolf Buchbinder piano

Wagner Siegfried's Rhine Journey and Funeral March from
  Götterdämmerung
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4
Bruckner Symphony No. 1

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: MishaK on May 30, 2013, 03:14:37 PM
Coming up, a rare chance to hear Bruckner 1:

I'm thinking of going to that, but wary of buying any tickets for No-Show Muti's non-appearances.

Meanwhile, I might go to this on June 8, part of the North Shore Chamber Music Festival. Interesting-looking program:

Béla Bartók Arranged by Arthur Willner - Rumanian Folk Dances
New Generation Ensemble

Michael Daugherty - "Diamond in the Rough" for violin, viola and percussion (2006)
Vadim Gluzman, violin; Rose Arnbrust, viola; Dane Crozier, percussion

Tribute to Oscar Peterson - Selection of Jazz Piano Solos
Andrew Litton, jazz piano

Johannes Brahms - Piano Quartet No.1 in G minor op. 25
Andrew Litton, piano; Vadim Gluzman, violin, Atar Arad, viola, Mark Kosower, cello
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

MishaK

Quote from: Velimir on May 30, 2013, 03:33:53 PM
I'm thinking of going to that, but wary of buying any tickets for No-Show Muti's non-appearances.

In this repertoire I'll happily step in for him.  ;)

I think his health issues are beyond him and the chances of flu in June are rather low. I'd buy sooner rather than later as the CSO has started some airline-like ticket pricing policy, where the ticket prices for popular concerts actually go up closer to the date of the performance.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: MishaK on May 31, 2013, 05:35:22 AM
I think his health issues are beyond him and the chances of flu in June are rather low. I'd buy sooner rather than later as the CSO has started some airline-like ticket pricing policy, where the ticket prices for popular concerts actually go up closer to the date of the performance.

You convinced me. I just bought tickets for this one.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

MishaK

With the addition of the Siegfried's Rhine Journey (which was not on the original program, IIRC) and with the earlier announcement of Dale Clevenger's retirement at the end of this season, and this being the last regular subscription concert of the season, I have a hunch that this might morph into a retirement farewell for Clevenger, what with all the horn solos in the Wagner.

bhodges

Quote from: MishaK on June 03, 2013, 06:46:26 AM
With the addition of the Siegfried's Rhine Journey (which was not on the original program, IIRC) and with the earlier announcement of Dale Clevenger's retirement at the end of this season, and this being the last regular subscription concert of the season, I have a hunch that this might morph into a retirement farewell for Clevenger, what with all the horn solos in the Wagner.

That looks like a potentially great concert, and I have never seen the Bruckner 1 on a Muti program.

Tonight, this interesting pairing. I've heard Shelton do Pierrot a number of times - she's quite expert at the sprechstimme, and mines the maximum amount of creepiness from the piece.

Merkin Concert Hall
Da Capo Chamber Players
Lucy Shelton, soprano

Schoenberg: Pierrot Lunaire (1912)
Mohammed Fairouz: Pierrot Lunaire (2013)

--Bruce