What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Velimir on June 20, 2013, 05:26:30 PM
Hope I can make it to this one - it's free at Grant Park next Wednesday!

Grant Park Orchestra
Carlos Kalmar, Conductor
Martin Fröst, Clarinet

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 5

Nielsen: Clarinet Concerto

Martinu: Thunderbolt P47

If you do, let us know how it is. I'm trying to make a trip up north for a concert or two. May just have to rely on their radio broadcasts this year.

jlaurson

I'm looking forward to a complete performance of

SAMSTAG aus LICHT

next weekend.

Interspersed with a St.Johns Passion (Ton Koopman) and Mahler's 5th (Valery Gergiev).

As a musician friend astutely pointed out: That sounds like one of those combinations where each one is an antidote for the other.

TheGSMoeller

Tonight. Atlanta Symphony closes out their season with an all Brahms concert.

Donald Runnicles
Lars Vogt - Piano

BRAHMS: Tragic Overture
BRAHMS: Piano Concerto No. 1
BRAHMS: Symphony No. 1

This will be my first ASO concert since moving to the ATL area. I wasn't very excited about their programs this season with the exception of Bartok's Ct. for Orc., but I was out of town for that one. The ASO 2013-2014 has more highlights and I plan on purchasing a 4-pack of concerts soon. This will also be my first time seeing or hearing anything from Runnicles, I've heard positive remarks from listeners and performers about him.

bhodges

Quote from: Velimir on June 20, 2013, 05:26:30 PM
Hope I can make it to this one - it's free at Grant Park next Wednesday!

Grant Park Orchestra
Carlos Kalmar, Conductor
Martin Fröst, Clarinet

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 5

Nielsen: Clarinet Concerto

Martinu: Thunderbolt P47

Wow, very high marks for programming. Never even heard of the last piece. Do report back, please!

Quote from: jlaurson on June 21, 2013, 01:39:20 AM
I'm looking forward to a complete performance of

SAMSTAG aus LICHT

next weekend.

Interspersed with a St.Johns Passion (Ton Koopman) and Mahler's 5th (Valery Gergiev).

As a musician friend astutely pointed out: That sounds like one of those combinations where each one is an antidote for the other.

Your friend is right - quite the array!

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 22, 2013, 04:51:22 AM

Donald Runnicles
Lars Vogt - Piano

This will be my first ASO concert since moving to the ATL area. I wasn't very excited about their programs this season with the exception of Bartok's Ct. for Orc., but I was out of town for that one. The ASO 2013-2014 has more highlights and I plan on purchasing a 4-pack of concerts soon. This will also be my first time seeing or hearing anything from Runnicles, I've heard positive remarks from listeners and performers about him.

I try to hear the Atlanta group when they come to New York, and am rarely disappointed. And with Runnicles...that looks like a mighty fine evening.

--Bruce

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brewski on June 22, 2013, 11:25:00 AM

I try to hear the Atlanta group when they come to New York, and am rarely disappointed. And with Runnicles...that looks like a mighty fine evening.

--Bruce

Thanks for the comments, Bruce! Should be a romantic evening.  ;D  (thats an era joke)

bhodges

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 22, 2013, 11:42:58 AM
Thanks for the comments, Bruce! Should be a romantic evening.  ;D

8) I sometimes take Brahms for granted, only because so many ensembles coming here seem to do one of the symphonies or the piano or violin concertos - at the expense of things that never get played. But then you actually hear the music and think, "So why again, did I hesitate?"

--Bruce

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brewski on June 22, 2013, 11:55:01 AM
8) I sometimes take Brahms for granted, only because so many ensembles coming here seem to do one of the symphonies or the piano or violin concertos - at the expense of things that never get played. But then you actually hear the music and think, "So why again, did I hesitate?"

--Bruce

ASO is performing his 3rd symphony next year, I don't think I should hesitate on that one. Especially since the 3rd gets the least amount of exposure, or so it seems.

And it's the best of the 4.  :o  8)

bhodges

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 22, 2013, 11:56:56 AM
ASO is performing his 3rd symphony next year, I don't think I should hesitate on that one. Especially since the 3rd gets the least amount of exposure, or so it seems.

And it's the best of the 4.  :o  8)

Does seem that No. 3 is played the least, for whatever reason. I pretty much like all of them, though No. 4 gets a slight nod, since it was the first Brahms I ever heard. Anyway, do have a good time; the orchestra is sounding excellent these days. PS, re: Runnicles. When he was here doing Peter Grimes, I spoke with some of the Met Orchestra musicians, who said they *loved* working with him (and the results showed). I think he's an excellent conductor - very clear, and with good interpretive instincts.

--Bruce

jlaurson

The Currentzis Dances II & Ravel's Wonderful Rubbish

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-currentzis-dances-ii-ravels.html

...But don't ever, ever tut-tut or pshaw! Pop songs or techno or down-tempo songs (not that the type to do so would be able to distinguish),
while professing a love for Ravel's confessedly music-devoid Bolero. Like it, by all means. We all do. But then don't thumb your nose at the
popularity of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" (featuring Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers, for good measure), which is exactly the same piece of music,
except that Daft Punk have the decency to stop the joke after 4 minutes...

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 22, 2013, 04:51:22 AM

Donald Runnicles
Lars Vogt - Piano

Runnicles sets Brahms First Symphony ablaze!
But before the fire, the ASO effortlessly ran through Tragic Overture, not that is was dull, just never felt this piece deserved or required much. But performed well. The 1st Piano Concerto of Brahms is huge, I'm not too familiar with it, it is a piece that I may have listened to once straight through, but it's a lovely concerto that gets better as it continues. The soloist was Lars Vogt, a passionate performer, would end a ferocious run up and down the piano by violently turning to the orchestra as if to say, "Take that! Your turn!". The opening movement didn't quite click, lacking some energy and with a few mistakes by Vogt, even pointed out by my wife. But the gorgeous second movement and the virtuosic finale found the orchestra and pianist in top form. I can't comment too much more on Vogt with accuracy, but he was intense and obviously very attuned to this work.
To the Op.68 now. I'm not sure I've heard a faster timed performance of this piece. Runnicles instilled some real peppiness to the work, and that's just how I like my Brahms symphonies. The opening movement Allegro was fierce with Runnicles putting a lot of emphases on the double basses and really letting the French horns rip through. Again the swiftness carried on throughout the epic finale, very rhythmically alert. And this all made the ritardano leading into the return of the brass choral towards the end even more exceptional. The playing itself was flawless during the Symphony, the oboe in the second movement solo, and the powerful horn solo of the finale rightfully come to mind. Very excited for next year's ASO season, this orchestra has a great sound and balance, and Runnicles really showcased it. You could sense the musicians were into it. Bravo!

bhodges

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 22, 2013, 08:05:36 PM
Runnicles sets Brahms First Symphony ablaze!
But before the fire, the ASO effortlessly ran through Tragic Overture, not that is was dull, just never felt this piece deserved or required much. But performed well. The 1st Piano Concerto of Brahms is huge, I'm not too familiar with it, it is a piece that I may have listened to once straight through, but it's a lovely concerto that gets better as it continues. The soloist was Lars Vogt, a passionate performer, would end a ferocious run up and down the piano by violently turning to the orchestra as if to say, "Take that! Your turn!". The opening movement didn't quite click, lacking some energy and with a few mistakes by Vogt, even pointed out by my wife. But the gorgeous second movement and the virtuosic finale found the orchestra and pianist in top form. I can't comment too much more on Vogt with accuracy, but he was intense and obviously very attuned to this work.
To the Op.68 now. I'm not sure I've heard a faster timed performance of this piece. Runnicles instilled some real peppiness to the work, and that's just how I like my Brahms symphonies. The opening movement Allegro was fierce with Runnicles putting a lot of emphases on the double basses and really letting the French horns rip through. Again the swiftness carried on throughout the epic finale, very rhythmically alert. And this all made the ritardano leading into the return of the brass choral towards the end even more exceptional. The playing itself was flawless during the Symphony, the oboe in the second movement solo, and the powerful horn solo of the finale rightfully come to mind. Very excited for next year's ASO season, this orchestra has a great sound and balance, and Runnicles really showcased it. You could sense the musicians were into it. Bravo!

Thanks for putting down a few words - sounds like a very satisfying evening.

This weekend, to end the season the New York Philharmonic collaborates for the third time with Giants Are Small - basically director/designer Doug Fitch, whose team was so successful in Le Grand Macabre and The Cunning Little Vixen - on a pair of Stravinsky ballets.

New York Philharmonic
Alan Gilbert, conductor
Giants Are Small

Stravinsky: The Fairy's Kiss
Stravinsky: Petrouchka

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 22, 2013, 08:05:36 PM
But before the fire, the ASO effortlessly ran through Tragic Overture, not that is was dull, just never felt this piece deserved or required much.

You should listen to Kempe's 1960 BPO Tragic Overture to correct that silly view and see what's possible in that amazing piece.  ;)

[asin]B00008XRT2[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: MishaK on June 25, 2013, 06:39:53 AM
You should listen to Kempe's 1960 BPO Tragic Overture to correct that silly view and see what's possible in that amazing piece.  ;)

[asin]B00008XRT2[/asin]

Sometimes all it takes is one good recording. And I do like Kempe.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 17, 2013, 07:31:57 AM
at Teatro alla Scala on next June:

Richard Wagner
Der Ring des Nibelungen

Daniel Barenboim

Come back home today after a week in Milan; I was very happy to have seen the complete Ring Cycle live at Teatro alla Scala, it was definitely a wonderful experience! :D Leaving out the problems with the brass (especially in the first two acts of Götterdämmerung), I incredibly enjoyed all the four operas of the Tetralogy, there were so many magical moments, from the beautiful, stunning prelude of Das Rheingold to the touching, overwhelming finale of Götterdämmerung. Many compliments to the singers who were always great and gave excellent performances (also very kind to give their autographs).
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Archaic Torso of Apollo

July 21 (Sunday) at Ravinia - an interesting program by an up-&-coming young quartet:

Linden String Quartet

Haydn: String Quartet No. 64 in D Major (Op. 76, No. 5)
John Corigliano: Snapshot: Circa 1909; A Black November Turkey 
William Bolcom: Three Rags for String Quartet
Beethoven: String Quartet No. 15 in A Minor, Op. 132
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

North Star

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on July 06, 2013, 03:22:24 PM
Next Tuesday night, Goldsmith's Hall London (part of the City of London Festival) :

Arvo Pärt Spiegel im Spiegel, Fratres
Prokofiev Cinq Melodies, Violin Sonatas 1 & 2

Alina Ibragimova violin
Steven Osborne piano

Got a spare ticket if anyone is interested.  Mrs Molloy failed to note the date in her diary and has booked a shift at work that evening.
A great program, but I can't make it to the UK :( Enjoy!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Coming up this week and next, at the Lincoln Center Festival:

Lera Auerbach: The Blind (vocal soloists) - Hour-long a cappella opera, in which the entire audience is blindfolded during the performance
Karlheinz Stockhausen: Michaels Reise um die Erde (members of Ensemble musikFabrik)
Toshio Hosokawa: Matsukaze (Talea Ensemble)

--Bruce

TheGSMoeller

Purchased a series for the 2013-2014 Season of the Atlanta Symphony, I will trade two in exchange for two from another series.

October 12, 2013
Susanna Mälkki - conductor, David Coucheron - concertmaster
RAVEL Mother Goose Suite
BARBER Violin Concerto 
SIBELIUS Symphony No. 2

November 2, 2013
James Gaffigan- conductor, Stephen Hough - piano
COPLAND Short Symphony 
LISZT Piano Concerto No. 1
STRAVINSKY Petrushka

Feburary 1, 2014
Roberto Abbado - conductor, Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg - violin
MUSSORGSKY Prelude to Khovanshchina
SHOSTAKOVICH Violin Concerto No. 1
RACHMANINOV Symphonic Dances

April 5, 2014
Donald Runnicles - conductor, Kelley O'Connor - mezzo-soprano
BRAHMS Gesang der Parzen
BRAHMS Schicksalslied
BRAHMS Alto Rhapsody
BRAHMS Symphony No. 4

April 10, 2014
Donald Runnicles - conductor,  Elizabeth Koch Tiscione - oboe
R. STRAUSS Metamorphosen
R. STRAUSS Oboe Concerto
BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 7

April 26, 2014
Robert Spano - conductor, Evelina Dobračeva - soprano, Anthony Dean Griffey - tenor, Stephen Powell - bass, Gwinnett Young Singers, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus
BRITTEN War Requiem

Karl Henning

Great score, Greg! What magnificent programs!  And you start off with Mälkki — prepare for [the good kind of] butt-kickin'.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on July 18, 2013, 09:23:40 AM
Great score, Greg! What magnificent programs!  And you start off with Mälkki — prepare for [the good kind of] butt-kickin'.

Thanks, Karl! A few pieces I've never seen live (Petrushka, Metamorphosen, War Requiem...) possibly fourth time to see Rach's Dances, but it's one of the greatest orchestral showpieces, and after seeing Runnicles last month in an all-Brahms concert, I'm stoked for another one, and his Strauss/Beethoven concert, Runnicles is an exciting conductor.