What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Missed Belgrade Philharmonic season opener last week, and annoyingly super rare chance to hear Weill's 2nd Symphony live. :(

Tonight bit more mainstream repertoire:

Shostakovich: Festive Overture
Khachaturian: Flute Concerto (Rampal's transcription of Violin Cto)
Shostakovich: Symphony no.9

Sharon Bezaly - flute
Belgrade Philharmonic
Anu Tali - conducting

NJ Joe

Just got tix for both nights!

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY CONCERTS PRESENTS THE TAKACS STRING QUARTET

The Takacs String Quartet performs all six Bartok String Quartets in Princeton October 10 & 11, 2013 at Richardson Auditorium in Alexander Hall

Thursday and Friday, October 10 and 11, 2013 8 pm

TAKáCS STRING QUARTET

All 6 Bartók string quartets performed in two evenings — Under any circumstance, hearing all six of Bartók's string quartets is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. To hear them played by chamber music royalty like the Takács Quartet will be truly memorable.

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

springrite

Still not sure yet if I will be free on those days, but on October 25, 26 and 27, Salonen will be conducting the LA Phil, playing The Unanswered Question, Salonen Violin Concerto, and Sibelius 5. It will be special for me as one of my first concerts in LA back in the 80's was Salonen's debut there as a guest conductor, conducting Sibelius 5!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

Quote from: NJ Joe on September 27, 2013, 06:55:45 AM
Just got tix for both nights!

The Takacs String Quartet performs all six Bartok String Quartets in Princeton October 10 & 11, 2013 at Richardson Auditorium in Alexander Hall

Thursday and Friday, October 10 and 11, 2013 8 pm

TAKáCS STRING QUARTET

All 6 Bartók string quartets performed in two evenings — Under any circumstance, hearing all six of Bartók's string quartets is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. To hear them played by chamber music royalty like the Takács Quartet will be truly memorable.

Quote from: springrite on September 27, 2013, 07:00:23 AM
Still not sure yet if I will be free on those days, but on October 25, 26 and 27, Salonen will be conducting the LA Phil, playing The Unanswered Question, Salonen Violin Concerto, and Sibelius 5. It will be special for me as one of my first concerts in LA back in the 80's was Salonen's debut there as a guest conductor, conducting Sibelius 5!

Très cool, gents!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

TAKáCS STRING QUARTET

This looks terrific...

Quote from: springrite on September 27, 2013, 07:00:23 AM

Salonen and Josefowicz will be doing his concerto here with the New York Philharmonic, also at the end of October (after yours) - can't wait to hear it live. He's also adding the Sibelius 5, but instead of the Ives, Ravel's Mother Goose Suite.

--Bruce

springrite

Quote from: Brewski on September 27, 2013, 08:29:55 AM
This looks terrific...

Salonen and Josefowicz will be doing his concerto here with the New York Philharmonic, also at the end of October (after yours) - can't wait to hear it live. He's also adding the Sibelius 5, but instead of the Ives, Ravel's Mother Goose Suite.

--Bruce
I have never heard his Ives before, so that would be most interesting. I love much of his work, except anything between Mozart and Bruckner. Bach to Haydn, Mahler to Salonen himself are just wonderful!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

bhodges

Quote from: springrite on September 27, 2013, 08:40:38 AM
I have never heard his Ives before, so that would be most interesting. I love much of his work, except anything between Mozart and Bruckner. Bach to Haydn, Mahler to Salonen himself are just wonderful!

Yes, he's quite a superb conductor, and I'll bet he handles the Ives beautifully. (Plus, it should sound great in Disney Hall.)

--Bruce

HIPster

Caught my first-ever performance of Handel's Dixit Dominus last night, performed by the excellent San Diego Bach Collegium!

A gorgeous evening of music by the sea:

http://www.bachcollegiumsd.org/web/events.aspx

They are also performing tonight and I may catch that one too. . .

Good times for sure!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I'm envious. I was supposed to hear this at Ravinia this summer, but they had to cancel for medical reasons  >:(
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Velimir on September 01, 2013, 08:17:43 PM
Coming up Sunday, Sept. 29:

Ars Viva Symphony Orchestra / Alan Heatherington, conductor

Bartók Hungarian Sketches
Brahms Tragic Overture, Op. 81
Bruckner Symphony No. 6 in A

This whole concert was good, but the Bruckner 6 was the highlight. Nice to hear it done in an appropriately keck ("cheeky") manner (die Sechste ist die keckste, as Bruckner himself said).

This took place at the North Shore Center for the Arts in Skokie IL, in a rather intimate hall (c. 850 seats) with very nice acoustics. The orchestra includes a sizeable number of moonlighting players from CSO, Lyric Opera and other high-quality ensembles (Milwaukee, Minnesota), so the playing was very good. There was a nice reception afterward, where we got to meet the musicians.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Velimir on September 30, 2013, 08:19:33 AM
This whole concert was good, but the Bruckner 6 was the highlight. Nice to hear it done in an appropriately keck ("cheeky") manner (die Sechste ist die keckste, as Bruckner himself said).

This took place at the North Shore Center for the Arts in Skokie IL, in a rather intimate hall (c. 850 seats) with very nice acoustics. The orchestra includes a sizeable number of moonlighting players from CSO, Lyric Opera and other high-quality ensembles (Milwaukee, Minnesota), so the playing was very good. There was a nice reception afterward, where we got to meet the musicians.

Nice! And in spite of the plain-vanilla-ness of the title, the Hungarian Sketches are first-rate Bartók.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

stingo

Britten - Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Purcell
Strauss - Oboe Concerto
Mahler - Symphony No. 4

Yannick Nézet-Séguin - Conductor
Richard Woodhams - Oboe
Christiane Karg - Soprano
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Verizon Hall

My first concert of the season. Should be a good one.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: stingo on September 30, 2013, 08:27:20 AM
Strauss - Oboe Concerto
Mahler - Symphony No. 4

Richard Woodhams - Oboe
Verizon Hall

That is a good one, stingo. Let us know how it goes.
I'm seeing the principal oboe of the Atlanta Symphony perform the Strauss with the ASO in April. Such a good concerto.

TheGSMoeller

Just purchased my ticket for a November performance of Wagner's Parsifal at The Lyric Opera of Chicago. Will be my first time at Lyric, planning to get a tour back stage (will definitely share pics) and hopefully meet Sir Andrew Davis. This will be my first Wagner opera to see live. Here is the info from Lyric's website.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 04, 2013, 01:53:59 AM
Just purchased my ticket for a November performance of Wagner's Parsifal at The Lyric Opera of Chicago.

Hey, I might go to that too. Looking at Nov. 17 as a possible date.

First, however, comes this, later this month:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Semyon Bychkov, conductor
Kirill Gerstein, pianist
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 2
Walton: Symphony No. 1

North Star

Yesterday: Wispelwey played Haydn here. A good time to be ill. :(
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Velimir on October 04, 2013, 01:59:22 PM
Hey, I might go to that too. Looking at Nov. 17 as a possible date.

Cool. That's the date for me, matinee. 

stingo

Quote from: stingo on September 30, 2013, 08:27:20 AM
Strauss - Oboe Concerto
Mahler - Symphony No. 4

Richard Woodhams - Oboe
Verizon Hall

A fine start to my concert season. The Britten was quite the crowd pleasure (I enjoyed it a lot as well). The Strauss Concerto was almost like a slow, quiet movement compared to the works that bookended it. Richard Woodhams (the orchestra's principal oboe) was really good - amazing to those who know the instrument. And the Mahler was (for me) the highlight of the evening, especially the third movement. Everything seemed just about right even if the brass drowned out the strings here and there in the Britten but nothing seemed rushed or too slow. I was also able to meet the maestro after the concert as he was signing copies of the orchestra's new Stravinsky/Stokowski CD. All in all - as I said above - an exciting start to my concert season and I'm looking forward to my next one in November.

The new erato

Honegger Pacific 231
Bernstein Age of Anxiety
Prokofiev Symphony 4

played by the Bergen Philharmonic coming Thursday under Litton.

The Prokofiev I'll guess wil be the next release on BIS, looking forward to it; their no 6 is very fine in superb sound.

Brian

I wonder if it's financially sound to fly to Europe for a week just to see this concert:

April 22, 2014
Brussels

SCHUMANN: Cello Concerto
SCHUMANN: Violin Concerto
SCHUMANN: Piano Concerto

Freiburg Baroque Orchestra
Jean-Guihen Queyras; Isabelle Faust; AND Alexander Melnikov

Just...wow.