What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

I know this isn't classical, but.....

Television is coming to bergen this spring and will do Marquee Moon complete.

I think I just p..d myself!!!  ???

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brewski on February 03, 2014, 08:26:57 AM
What fabulous programming. That might be the best list to emerge from any orchestral season announcement this year.

And on the other side of the coin, CSO has announced a boringly traditional season:

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2014/02/cso-to-spotlight-tchaikovsky-scriabin-and-french-music-in-2014-15-season/

I blame Muti. Although I have nothing against him as a conductor (and the players seem to love him), he seems to have scant interest in music outside of the standard German-Italian rep.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: sanantonio on February 04, 2014, 11:32:51 AM
Still, there is quite a bit of nice programming,

Yeah, I shouldn't complain too much. I miss the Barenboim-Boulez regime, when programming choices were bolder. (Elliott Carter in 10 out of 14 seasons - can you beat that?)

MishaK

Quote from: Velimir on February 04, 2014, 11:52:25 AM
Yeah, I shouldn't complain too much. I miss the Barenboim-Boulez regime, when programming choices were bolder. (Elliott Carter in 10 out of 14 seasons - can you beat that?)

+1

Also, ticket prices under Muti seem to have gone waaaay up. I think the Salonen set of three concerts of 20th century French music with L'enfant and Turangalila will be the highlight for me next season. I also want to hear Honeck do Don Juan and LvB 7 and Dutoit. But that's it.

Mountain Goat

Tonight in St David's Hall, Cardiff: Mahler's 9th symphony (BBC National Orchestra of Wales/Thomas Søndergård)

bhodges

Quote from: sanantonio on February 04, 2014, 12:28:50 PM
Actually there is at least one concert by the Nashville Symphony that I will try to attend:

Nov. 20-22: Giancarlo Guerrero, conductor; Nashville Symphony Chorus — Kelly Corcoran, chorus director; Jonathan Biss, piano

Duruflé — Requiem
Brahms — Piano Concerto No. 2

The Duruflé work is a special favorite of mine, and I have liked Biss's Beethoven series quite a lot and will probably enjoy his Brahms 2nd.

That looks excellent; the Duruflé has many recordings but it doesn't seem to show up live that often. And I like Biss, too.

Quote from: Mountain Goat on February 07, 2014, 06:44:30 AM
Tonight in St David's Hall, Cardiff: Mahler's 9th symphony (BBC National Orchestra of Wales/Thomas Søndergård)

Have a great time!

Tonight I'm hearing:

eighth blackbird: Still in Motion

Bryce Dessner: Murder Ballades Suite (2013)
Tom Johnson: Counting Duets (1982)
György Ligeti: Études arr. sextet (1985-2001)
Nico Muhly: Doublespeak (2011) NEW YORK PREMIERE
Steve Mackey: Suite: Slide (2012) NEW YORK PREMIERE
Brett Dean: Sextet: Old Kings in Exile (2010) NEW YORK PREMIERE

--Bruce

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Wondering whether to go to this one tomorrow. I'd like to know the actual pieces to be performed, but can't find a more detailed listing:

Newberry Consort
Feast of the Pheasant
Music of Dufay, Binchois, others
8 p.m. Lutkin Hall, Northwestern University

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Velimir on February 07, 2014, 09:22:05 AM
Newberry Consort
Feast of the Pheasant
Music of Dufay, Binchois, others
8 p.m. Lutkin Hall, Northwestern University

Well I'm glad I went to this, even though it meant driving thru the snow. This concert reproduced (as far as is possible, given the incomplete source material) a lavish banquet thrown by Duke Philip the Good of Burgundy in 1454. Dufay was the dominant figure, but other composers of the day provided music as well. A nice mix of sacred and secular, singing and instrumental. The violinist Rachel Barton Pine played the rebec (wow she's versatile). Kudos for both performance and imaginative presentation.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Velimir on February 09, 2014, 12:41:27 PM
Well I'm glad I went to this, even though it meant driving thru the snow. This concert reproduced (as far as is possible, given the incomplete source material) a lavish banquet thrown by Duke Philip the Good of Burgundy in 1454. Dufay was the dominant figure, but other composers of the day provided music as well. A nice mix of sacred and secular, singing and instrumental. The violinist Rachel Barton Pine played the rebec (wow she's versatile). Kudos for both performance and imaginative presentation.

What is with you and traveling in bad weather to see concerts?  ;D
Did you see next years Lyric schedule? Some good ones, I'm trying to make early plans for which 2014-15 opera to see.
Also, they haven't released the Grant Park schedule yet, but I'm trying to make a Chicago trip over the summer as well.
Hope you and your family are doing well.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 09, 2014, 01:42:13 PM
What is with you and traveling in bad weather to see concerts?  ;D
Did you see next years Lyric schedule? Some good ones, I'm trying to make early plans for which 2014-15 opera to see.
Also, they haven't released the Grant Park schedule yet, but I'm trying to make a Chicago trip over the summer as well.
Hope you and your family are doing well.

The worst winter ever keeps getting in the way...I'm tempted to hit Tannhauser, tho' Wagner 2 years in a row might be excessive.  :)

Yeah, looking forward to Grant Park too!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Velimir on February 03, 2014, 07:53:13 AM
In other words, Kalmar is doing in Oregon the same thing he does in Grant Park, where he has had great success. Cool schedule.

And the beat goes on! Grant Park 2014 schedule was just released. Lots of cool stuff:

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2014/02/grant-park-music-festival-to-mark-80th-anniversary-with-two-premieres-old-friends-and-much-american-music/

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Velimir on February 11, 2014, 06:58:16 PM
And the beat goes on! Grant Park 2014 schedule was just released. Lots of cool stuff:

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2014/02/grant-park-music-festival-to-mark-80th-anniversary-with-two-premieres-old-friends-and-much-american-music/

Just got the email earlier today, some great programming with some great guest conductors and soloists. And Bravo to them for scheduling a Haydn symphony.

TheGSMoeller

A few concerts from Grant Park Symphony's 2014 season that really interest me...

Barber: Fadograph of a Yestern Scene
Haydn: Symphony No. 98 in B Flat
Janáček: Glagolitic Mass

Weill: Seven Deadly Sins
Schubert: Symphony No. 8 Unfinished
R. Strauss: Dance of the Seven Veils from Salome

Adams: Tromba Lontana
Bolcom: World premiere concerto for orchestra
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé

North Star

This was tonight, very enjoyable indeed! The Nielsen VC I hadn't heard before, apart  from the first movement on Youtube earlier today. An excellent piece!

Oulu Symphony & Johannes Gustaffson
Sibelius 3rd
Nielsen's VC (Alina Pogostkina, vln)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 12, 2014, 03:35:09 AM

Adams: Tromba Lontana
Bolcom: World premiere concerto for orchestra
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé

You didn't mention Dvorak's Third Symphony is on the docket, too!!

*thinks about plane tickets*

Todd

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 12, 2014, 03:35:09 AM

I'd be all over this concert; I'd love to hear the Janacek in person.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2014, 01:31:21 PM
You didn't mention Dvorak's Third Symphony is on the docket, too!!

*thinks about plane tickets*

Quote from: Todd on February 13, 2014, 02:02:44 PM

Great thing about Grant Park is if you time your Chicago visit right you can catch several free concerts within a few days. Also, sit on he lawn and bring along your favorite bottle of wine!

NorthNYMark

It looks like I may be able to go to the Mahler Seventh performance Saturday night in Montreal--can't wait!

Mirror Image

Quote from: NorthNYMark on February 13, 2014, 08:03:09 PM
It looks like I may be able to go to the Mahler Seventh performance Saturday night in Montreal--can't wait!

Who's conducting? Nagano?

Brian

Quote from: Todd on February 13, 2014, 02:02:44 PM

I got to see the Janacek live twice in London. Once with Colin Davis and LSO - very fast, but thrilling; hated the Barbican acoustic. Then on the First Night of Proms with Belohlavek and the original, uncut score with the wacky timpani duel in "Veruju" - now that was a hell of a concert. Pretty great live experience.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 13, 2014, 03:34:41 PM
Great thing about Grant Park is if you time your Chicago visit right you can catch several free concerts within a few days. Also, sit on he lawn and bring along your favorite bottle of wine!

I wonder what it says about me that I just actually looked up air fares to see the Ravel + Bolcom world premiere on August 16. $321 round trip...