What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 13, 2014, 03:34:41 PM
Great thing about Grant Park is if you time your Chicago visit right you can catch several free concerts within a few days. Also, sit on he lawn and bring along your favorite bottle of wine!

You can also hit Ravinia at the same time. Their schedule's not out yet, though.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

NorthNYMark

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2014, 08:13:32 PM
Who's conducting? Nagano?

Yep.  Since most of the performances I've seen with him conducting were of works with which I wasn't very familiar, I don't really have a strong sense of his personal style.  Since I am relatively familiar with this work, I may be a bit more conscious of his interpretation.  In any event, I always enjoy experiencing the sheer sonority of the orchestra in the beautiful new Symphony Hall. 

bhodges

Next Wednesday at the Morgan Library, to coincide with their new recording:

JACK Quartet

Lachenmann: Gran Torso (1972/1988)
Lachenmann: String Quartet No. 2 "Reigen seliger Geister" (1989)
Lachenmann: String Quartet No. 3 "Grido" (2001)

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: Brian on February 14, 2014, 07:01:48 AM
the original, uncut score with the wacky timpani duel in "Veruju".

That's the only acceptable version.  ;) Hopefully that's what Kalmar will be conducting. Boulez did that with the CSO a few seasons ago and it was mindbogglingly awesome (with Paul Jacobs on organ who went nuts with the solo).

jlaurson

Quote from: NorthNYMark on February 13, 2014, 08:03:09 PM
It looks like I may be able to go to the Mahler Seventh performance Saturday night in Montreal--can't wait!

I'll hear it when they perform it at the Wiener Konzerthaus, a few days later. That will be live-streamed on Medici, to boot!

Brian

Man, do I wish I could just pop over to Europe for a weekend next month. Jean-Efflam Bavouzet doing all five Beethoven concertos in two nights with Warsaw PO/Antoni Wit. If we're lucky there might be a radio broadcast showing up in one of the concert archive groups...

Brian

John/MI could move to Dallas and be happy with the 2014-15 DSO season. Highlights:

- Shostakovich Symphony No. 8
- Mahler Symphonies Nos. 3 (season finale) and 9 (season premiere)
- Michelle DeYoung and Matthias Goerne sing in "Bluebeard's Castle"
- Alisa Weilerstein plays the Elgar concerto, coupled with Faure's Requiem
- a night of Bach, Mozart, and Rachmaninov ends with Carlos Chavez's Sinfonia india
- Christopher Rouse's Iscariot (along with Garrick Ohlsson playing Beethoven)
- Gil Shaham presents both Bach concertos
- the USA premiere of Wolfgang Rihm's Triple Concerto
- Bernstein's Serenade and Kaddish

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on February 17, 2014, 07:02:16 AM
John/MI could move to Dallas and be happy with the 2014-15 DSO season. Highlights:

- Shostakovich Symphony No. 8
- Mahler Symphonies Nos. 3 (season finale) and 9 (season premiere)
- Michelle DeYoung and Matthias Goerne sing in "Bluebeard's Castle"
- Alisa Weilerstein plays the Elgar concerto, coupled with Faure's Requiem
- a night of Bach, Mozart, and Rachmaninov ends with Carlos Chavez's Sinfonia india
- Christopher Rouse's Iscariot (along with Garrick Ohlsson playing Beethoven)
- Gil Shaham presents both Bach concertos
- the USA premiere of Wolfgang Rihm's Triple Concerto
- Bernstein's Serenade and Kaddish

Damn! Maybe I should move to Dallas. 8) Very nice, Brian. :)

NorthNYMark

Quote from: jlaurson on February 16, 2014, 06:21:29 AM
I'll hear it when they perform it at the Wiener Konzerthaus, a few days later. That will be live-streamed on Medici, to boot!

I hope you'll do a review, or at least share your thoughts with us here.  If I have some time later this week, I'll share my own impressions, which were somewhat mixed (though it was an enjoyable experience overall).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 21, 2014, 09:56:16 AM
Just traded in my Atlanta Symphony tickets for Feb 1st's concert of DSCH: Violin Ct. No.1 and Rach: Symphonic Dances, can't attend concert unfortunately, but I think I win in the end by attending this one on Feb. 22nd...

Robert Spano, Cond.
David Coucheron, Violin
Jessica Rivera, soprano
Brett Polegato, baritone
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus

RVW: The Lark Ascending
RVW: Symphony No. 4
RVW: Dona Nobis Pacem

Not big on one composer/three works type of programming, but these three pieces by RVW are diverse enough when next to each other. First time seeing these pieces performed live.

Enjoyable concert. Highlight of the evening for me was the 4th Symphony, the ASO played it with incredible intensity.

Next ASO concert will be mid-March with The Rite of Spring, need to trade in my next subscription tickets for that one if there is space available.

HIPster

Caught this performance last night  :) ~

Fabio Biondi, violin and Kenneth Weiss, harpsichord:
"Music of Bach and Locatelli for Violin and Keyboard"

http://sdems.org/index.html

Fabio Biondi has performed in the great concert halls both as a solo violinist and as the founding director of Europa Galante, one of Europe's finest baroque ensembles. He is joined for this performance of works of Bach and Locatelli by American harpsichordist Kenneth Weiss. Weiss, who studied with Gustav Leonhardt, is active both as a soloist and as an opera director. He is on the faculty at the Paris Conservatory and the Juilliard School. Three of Bach's sonatas for violin and harpsichord feature on this concert, along with the Concerto Italiano (performed by Kenneth Weiss), and a sonata for violin and continuo by Bach's contemporary, Pietro Locatelli.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

ritter

On March 15th, pianist-composer Michaël Levinas will be giving a recital here in Madrid, with the following program:

Ludwig van Beethoven
Sonata n. 2 op. 2
Sonata n. 4 op. 7

Michaël Levinas
Études

Tristan Murail
Territoire de l'oubli

Admission is free (the concert is sponsored by the BBVA Foundation). I look forward to seeing Levinas live :) (after having heard his own music on Cd, and received his set of the complete Beethoven sonatas yesterday--nice coincidence  ;) )

TheGSMoeller

March 15th

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Robert Spano and Donald Runnicles - Conductors

WAGNER: "Liebestod" from Tristan and Isolde
RAVEL: La valse
STRAVINSKY: The Rite of Spring

Both Spano and Runnicles are listed as conductor and pianists, it will be interesting to see how this is executed. I am hoping that Runnicles is conducting the Stravinsky, either way is fine though as the ASO should shine with this program.

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 25, 2014, 10:15:49 AM
March 15th

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Robert Spano and Donald Runnicles - Conductors

WAGNER: "Liebestod" from Tristan and Isolde
RAVEL: La valse
STRAVINSKY: The Rite of Spring

Both Spano and Runnicles are listed as conductor and pianists, it will be interesting to see how this is executed. I am hoping that Runnicles is conducting the Stravinsky, either way is fine though as the ASO should shine with this program.
Or perhaps they play one piece as a piano duo :D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Quote from: North Star on February 25, 2014, 10:20:51 AM
Hey, "La valse" exists in a double piano version.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on February 25, 2014, 10:20:51 AM

I actually thought of that, but the website is advertising three orchestral masterworks.

TheGSMoeller

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Pat B

Quote from: HIPster on February 24, 2014, 07:05:52 AM
Caught this performance last night  :) ~

Fabio Biondi, violin and Kenneth Weiss, harpsichord:
"Music of Bach and Locatelli for Violin and Keyboard"

Nice. I like Biondi's recordings and would like to see a live performance.

HIPster

Quote from: Pat B on February 25, 2014, 01:13:01 PM
Nice. I like Biondi's recordings and would like to see a live performance.

I hope you can, Pat B.

Great show!   :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)