What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Actually I'm off-topic here, but last night me and a friend went to a concert with organ & vocal works of Ernst Křenek, the 'main course' being his Lamentatio Jeremiae prophetae, Opus 93.

Walking back to the bus after the concert, we ran across a group of choristers and I thanked them, saying it was a beautiful concert. One of the sopranos looked at me rather suspicious and asked Are you a 12-tone freak?

;D

ritter

Quote from: Marc on March 27, 2014, 02:16:01 AM
Actually I'm off-topic here, but last night me and a friend went to a concert with organ & vocal works of Ernst Křenek, the 'main course' being his Lamentatio Jeremiae prophetae, Opus 93.

Walking back to the bus after the concert, we ran across a group of choristers and I thanked them, saying it was a beautiful concert. One of the sopranos looked at me rather suspicious and asked Are you a 12-tone freak?

;D
Wow! Hearing the Lamentatio Jeremiae prophetae live is a rare treat, Marc, and must have been a great experience  :). Where was the concert, if I may ask?

Marc

Quote from: ritter on March 27, 2014, 02:47:14 AM
Wow! Hearing the Lamentatio Jeremiae prophetae live is a rare treat, Marc, and must have been a great experience  :). Where was the concert, if I may ask?

Groningen, NL, Der Aa Kerk.
Cappella Amsterdam, conducted by Daniel Reuss (a great choir conductor!).
Organ: Geerten van de Wetering (Sonata op. 92/1 & Four Winds Suite, op. 223).

This evening they will be in Amsterdam (Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ), tomorrow in Utrecht (Pieterskerk) and Saturday in Kampen (Burgwalkerk).
Anyone who's in the Netherlands with time and money left: check it out!

http://www.cappellaamsterdam.nl/

North Star

Quote from: Marc on March 27, 2014, 02:16:01 AM

;D
Thanks for sharing this lovely story on the power of music  :laugh:
Hmm, perhaps this 12-tone thing should be added to the communication thread..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Archaic Torso of Apollo

For my next two CSO concerts, I'll be patriotically attending performances of two great American symphonies (among other things):

April 19

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Leonard Slatkin, conductor
Anne Akiko Meyers, violinist
Barber: School for Scandal Overture
Schuman: Symphony No. 6
Bates: Violin Concerto
Gershwin: An American in Paris

April 26

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Sir Mark Elder, conductor
Richard Goode, pianist
Ives: Symphony No. 2
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 23
Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks

The Ives gets played fairly often, but this is the first time I've seen the Schuman on a concert program. A shame, cuz it's a great piece.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

North Star

Quote from: North Star on March 27, 2014, 01:02:25 AM
Tonight:

Brahms: PC no. 2 & Symphony No. 1
Paavali Jumppanen (piano), Johannes Gustavsson & Oulu SO
Wonderful performance of the concerto in particular. Jumppanen was splendid, and the orchestra always shines with Gustavsson.

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Well, it's still several months into the future, but I (unexpectedly) managed to get tickets for the second Ring cycle at Bayreuth this summer...quite excited about what would be my third visit to the Green Hill.

The conductor is Kyrill Petrenko, who got excellent reviews in his debut in the festival last year. Th production, by Frank Castorf, was almost unanimously booed  by the audience and condemned by most critics  ::) ...

Here one of the scenes from Siegfried (sets by Aleksandar Denić):

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: ritter on March 29, 2014, 12:06:48 AM
Well, it's still several months into the future, but I (unexpectedly) managed to get tickets for the second Ring cycle at Bayreuth this summer...quite excited about what would be my third visit to the Green Hill.

The conductor is Kyrill Petrenko, who got excellent reviews in his debut in the festival last year. Th production, by Frank Castorf, was almost unanimously booed  by the audience and condemned by most critics  ::) ...

Here one of the scenes from Siegfried (sets by Aleksandar Denić):

You got the tickets for the Bayreuth Ring?!? :o That's great, I hope you will enjoy the performance! I listened to the Festival on the radio last summer, Petrenko was absolutely impressive as conductor, the orchestral playing was excellent in all the operas of the Ring (apart from a wrong note of brass just in the finale of Das Rheingold). It would be better not to say anything about Castorf's production.

Out of curiosity, how do you manage to buy a ticket for Bayreuth? I've often looked for information to attend the Festival, but I only find contradictory things.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ritter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 29, 2014, 03:57:38 AM
Out of curiosity, how do you manage to buy a ticket for Bayreuth? I've often looked for information to attend the Festival, but I only find contradictory things.
I've sent you a private message with some details...  ;) ....

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: ritter on March 29, 2014, 10:00:03 AM
I've sent you a private message with some details...  ;) ....

I saw it, thanks a lot for explaining, Rafael. :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

NJ Joe

Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 8PM 
Richardson Auditorium in Alexander Hall
Princeton University

NASH ENSEMBLE OF LONDON

PROGRAM:

SMETANA Overture to The Bartered Bride
VIET CUONG Trains of Thought (World Premiere)
SCHUMANN Fairy Tales, Op. 132
SHOSTAKOVICH Four Waltzes
DVORAK Piano Quintet in A Major
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 31, 2014, 02:13:42 PM
Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 8PM 
Richardson Auditorium in Alexander Hall
Princeton University

NASH ENSEMBLE OF LONDON

PROGRAM:

SMETANA Overture to The Bartered Bride
VIET CUONG Trains of Thought (World Premiere)
SCHUMANN Fairy Tales, Op. 132
SHOSTAKOVICH Four Waltzes
DVORAK Piano Quintet in A Major

That's a beautiful little hall, had the chance to play there once in high school. Hope you enjoy the concert, Joe!

NJ Joe

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 31, 2014, 05:56:22 PM
That's a beautiful little hall, had the chance to play there once in high school. Hope you enjoy the concert, Joe!

Thanks Greg, I'm looking forward to it.  Agree with you about the venue.  I've seen many concerts there over the years.  Great (improved) acoustics and wonderfully intimate.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: NJ Joe on April 01, 2014, 03:41:33 AM
Thanks Greg, I'm looking forward to it.  Agree with you about the venue.  I've seen many concerts there over the years.  Great (improved) acoustics and wonderfully intimate.

I was going over some of the gallery pics from their website, some noticeable changes for sure since last time I was there.

pjme

Next week, at Flagey/Brussels .
rather an odd combination:

Messiaen : Trois petites liturgies ( possibly my favorite Messiaen work) - Chamayou, piano, ondes Martenot NN
Richard Strauss: Burleske
Richard Strauss : Rosenkavalier-suite

Chorus and orchestra of de Munt / La Monnaie / Ludovic Morlot.

See:
http://www.demunt.be/nl/concerts/347/Ludovic-Morlot

North Star

Tomorrow:    8)

Johannes Gustavsson & Oulu SO
Réka Szilvay (violin)

Stravinsky: Symphonies d'instruments à vent
Hartmann: Concerto funebre
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 'Eroica'

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Kinda considering visiting my little brother in Pittsburgh a year from now and catching this:

Mozart:   Sinfonia concertante in E-flat major for Violin, Viola, and Orchestra, K.320d [364]       
Rautavaara:   Cantus Arcticus, Opus 61    
Stravinsky:   Suite from The Firebird (1919 revision)

Soloists from the Pittsburgh SO
The Pittsburgh SO
Manfred Honeck

March 6-8, 2015

EDIT: Or Mahler's First in June 2015 there, with a world premiere oboe concerto by Alan Fletcher.

TheGSMoeller

Tonight!

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Donald Runnicles - Conductor
Elizabeth Koch Tiscione - Oboe

R. STRAUSS Metamorphosen
R. STRAUSS Oboe Concerto
BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 7

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 11, 2014, 12:58:58 PM
Tonight!

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Donald Runnicles - Conductor
Elizabeth Koch Tiscione - Oboe

R. STRAUSS Metamorphosen
R. STRAUSS Oboe Concerto
BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 7

Hm, doesn't look like the kind of thing you'd enjoy, Greg, but try to make the most of it - oh, and say hi to John!

0:)  8)  :laugh:

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on April 11, 2014, 02:33:17 PM
Hm, doesn't look like the kind of thing you'd enjoy, Greg, but try to make the most of it - oh, and say hi to John!

0:)  8)  :laugh:

Definitely not John-approved programming.  8)