What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Does anyone know if Arnold Schoenberg's Gurrelieder is scheduled for a performance anywhere?

I have gone to Universal Edition and some individual websites for orchestras, but the former is never reliable (I have discovered), and the latter can be maddeningly unfriendly to discovering what an orchestra is playing without "registering" first.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

EigenUser

Quote from: Cato on May 31, 2014, 01:48:01 PM
Does anyone know if Arnold Schoenberg's Gurrelieder is scheduled for a performance anywhere?

I have gone to Universal Edition and some individual websites for orchestras, but the former is never reliable (I have discovered), and the latter can be maddeningly unfriendly to discovering what an orchestra is playing without "registering" first.
Yes, tomorrow in Koln. Better get your plane tickets now! ;D
http://bachtrack.com/find-concerts/composer=96

I think that performances on Universal Edition (or any publisher) show up only if the performance material is being rented. Schoenberg is PD in parts of the world by now (and since "Gurrelieder" was published before 1923, including the US), so it isn't rental-only anymore. I'm not positive of this, but it is a theory I have.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Cato

Quote from: EigenUser on May 31, 2014, 01:52:14 PM
Yes, tomorrow in Koln. Better get your plane tickets now! ;D
http://bachtrack.com/find-concerts/composer=96

I think that performances on Universal Edition (or any publisher) show up only if the performance material is being rented. Schoenberg is PD in parts of the world by now (and since "Gurrelieder" was published before 1923, including the US), so it isn't rental-only anymore. I'm not positive of this, but it is a theory I have.

Thank you! 

I thought this was probably the explanation, because the Cologne performance did not show up on the Universal Edition list.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brian

I'll be in Paris for about half of the Chopin Festival in the orangerie at the Bois de Boulogne. I will still be on the airplane during Jean-Marc Luisada's recital, but could see the recitals by Abdel Rahman El Bacha and/or Laurent Wagschal.

springrite

On Saturday, I will be taking Kimi to her first concert:

Vienna Symphony conducted by Simone Young (? phonetic translation from Chinese, and I don't know what her English name is!)

Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
Brahms Symphony #2

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

MishaK

Quote from: Obradovic on May 31, 2014, 04:33:48 AM
Last year though they played here Mozart's Jupiter and Mahler's 5th rather good... And we had to make our way in the main concert hall through X-Ray (or something like that) gates, for safety reasons... as if we were to embark on a plane

Where was this?

Brian

Quote from: springrite on June 02, 2014, 07:15:38 AM

Vienna Symphony conducted by Simone Young (? phonetic translation from Chinese, and I don't know what her English name is!)

Brahms Symphony #2
Simone Young is her name, yes!

springrite

Quote from: Brian on June 02, 2014, 07:42:11 AM
Simone Young is her name, yes!

Thanks! I hope Kimi can sit through the whole thing!

jochanaan

Brahms Symphony #2
Who's playing the Violin Concerto? :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

springrite

Obradovic

listener

West Coast Orchestra, a mixture of professional and non-professional players on June 6th
Benjamin Britten: Violin Concerto No.1
Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No.10 in E minor
in an acoustically challenging church.  I think this kind of programming deserves my support.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

springrite

Brahms Symphony #2

Took Kimi to her first concert.

But because she'd under 120cm, she was refused entry. So I sold our $80 tickets for $20, total, and took her to a tour to Tiananmen Square, which was closed! So we went to KFC instead.

End of report.

I will take her to the museum for some Monet next week to make up for it.

North Star

Quote from: springrite on June 08, 2014, 08:33:41 AM
Took Kimi to her first concert.

But because she'd under 120cm, she was refused entry. So I sold our $80 tickets for $20, total, and took her to a tour to Tiananmen Square, which was closed! So we went to KFC instead.

End of report.

I will take her to the museum for some Monet next week to make up for it.
Sorry to read that, Paul. Oh well, I wish I'd be seeing Monet's next week. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jochanaan

Quote from: springrite on June 08, 2014, 08:33:41 AM
...But because she'd under 120cm, she was refused entry...
What?  Like an amusement park ride?  How unfair! >:D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

bhodges

Tonight:

Stockhausen: Stimmung (Ekmeles) - This a cappella vocal ensemble has been rising fast on the NY scene the last few years, doing outstanding concerts of repertoire no one else in town will touch. This should be a great evening.

--Bruce

Papy Oli

Not been to Snape since last summer, needed to remedy to that, so tonight :

Richard Goode (piano)

Janáček - On an Overgrown Path (excerpts)
Schumann - Davidsbündlertänze
Debussy - Préludes Book I

:)
Olivier

Brian

I'll be in Paris July 3-20, anybody know of a must-hear concert there next month? Probably seeing Abdel Rahman El Bacha play Chopin in candlelight, for one thing.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on June 14, 2014, 05:49:00 AM
I'll be in Paris July 3-20, anybody know of a must-hear concert there next month? Probably seeing Abdel Rahman El Bacha play Chopin in candlelight, for one thing.

Hmmm, my planned Alsace weekend coincides with...

Samedi 12 Juillet   - Colmar
Quatuor Talich
Alexander Kniazev, violoncelle   
F. Mendelssohn : Quatuor à cordes en fa mineur op.80
F. Schubert : Quintette à cordes avec deux violoncelles en ut majeur op.163 D956   

North Star

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 14, 2014, 04:56:21 AM
Not been to Snape since last summer, needed to remedy to that, so tonight :

Richard Goode (piano)

Janáček - On an Overgrown Path (excerpts)
Schumann - Davidsbündlertänze
Debussy - Préludes Book I

:)
How was it, Olivier? The underlined part is something I don't like, but of course I'd love to hear that recital.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr