What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on June 14, 2014, 08:07:17 AM
Hmmm, my planned Alsace weekend coincides with...

Samedi 12 Juillet   - Colmar
Quatuor Talich
Alexander Kniazev, violoncelle   
F. Mendelssohn : Quatuor à cordes en fa mineur op.80
F. Schubert : Quintette à cordes avec deux violoncelles en ut majeur op.163 D956

Even without the concert Colmar is worth a visit. Go for it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Papy Oli

Quote from: North Star on June 14, 2014, 02:58:51 PM
How was it, Olivier? The underlined part is something I don't like, but of course I'd love to hear that recital.

Overall, it came across as quite a heavy-handed recital and with a mechanical impression. Enjoyed the Janacek and Schumann only in parts. Debussy, I still can't get into. I had never heard the Preludes Book 1 in full but I did know "La fille aux cheveux de lin" when it came up, and that was a hatched job.

Goode had a loud ovation at the end, it just wasn't a night for me.

Replaying nearly the same program this afternoon (with Crossley / Kempff / Michelangeli in book 2 instead) to get over the disappointment.

Olivier

North Star

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 15, 2014, 05:21:03 AM
Overall, it came across as quite a heavy-handed recital and with a mechanical impression. Enjoyed the Janacek and Schumann only in parts. Debussy, I still can't get into. I had never heard the Preludes Book 1 in full but I did know "La fille aux cheveux de lin" when it came up, and that was a hatched job.

Goode had a loud ovation at the end, it just wasn't a night for me.

Replaying nearly the same program this afternoon (with Crossley / Kempff / Michelangeli in book 2 instead) to get over the disappointment.
Ouch, sorry to read you didn't enjoy it more. When you say you only enjoyed parts of the Janáček and Schumann, has that anything to do with the music, or just Goode's playing in the recital?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Papy Oli

Quote from: North Star on June 15, 2014, 07:09:14 AM
Ouch, sorry to read you didn't enjoy it more. When you say you only enjoyed parts of the Janáček and Schumann, has that anything to do with the music, or just Goode's playing in the recital?

Definitely last night's playing.
I listened to the Janacek again earlier and just finished the Schumann and enjoyed them as much as previous listenings. Much more finesse in the playing on the recordings I have.
Olivier

North Star

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 15, 2014, 07:17:55 AM
Definitely last night's playing.
Whew!  ;)
QuoteI listened to the Janacek again earlier and just finished the Schumann and enjoyed them as much as previous listenings. Much more finesse in the playing on the recordings I have.
Excellent!
I had always thought Goode was more a Bach / Haydn / Mozart / Beethoven / Schubert pianist, so the program looks very much unsuitable for him. I'll listen to these works myself today (Le Sage's Schumann, Crossley in the others).
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Obradovic

Quote from: MishaK on May 29, 2014, 03:15:04 PM
I wasn't at their Chicago performance but heard from reliable sources who were that it was a most forgettable performance of the B8 by a conductor who seems to have nothing more to say and an orchestra that needs about 2/3 of its members replaced. Sorry.

Mehta was a somewhat interesting Bruckner conductor circa 30-40 years ago. See his B9 recording with Vienna and his B8 with LAPO. Seems to have burnt out shortly after. Have heard nothing interesting from him since, live or on record.
The Israel PO/Mehta Bruckner 8th last night in Athens was too lightweight for my taste... very carefully played and lacking drive, polish and that so difficult to achieve 'inner Bruckner pulse'... decently but unexceptionally played as Mehta's LAPO recording. Tonight Mahler's 2nd is a more obvious choice for the orchestra's staple repertory and tradition. And no need to pass through X-Ray gates this year!  :) Has anyone any recommendations regarding the orchestra's Helicon label? Are there any really noteworthy recordings? Sound they good-as they are all probably live recordings?

kishnevi

I have one, BenHaim's overblown bloated oratorio, Joram.  No complaints about the sdound but you can infer my view of the music from the adjectives I used.  I have seen Amazon comments about Levine's M2 on Helicon which complained about the sonics, so maybe each recording needs to be sampled before buying.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Monday at Ravinia:

Juilliard String Quartet

Bach:   Contrapuncti I–IV from The Art of Fugue, BWV 1080
Berg:   Lyric Suite
Beethoven:   String Quartet No. 9 in C Major, Op. 59, No. 3 ("Razumovsky") 

Pretty awesome program, eh?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mountain Goat

Tonight at the Barbican, London:
Mozart: Symphony No 41
Haydn: Symphony No 104
Beethoven: Symphony No 9
Academy of Ancient Music/Richard Egarr

Tomorrow, same venue:
Strauss: Ein Heldenleben
Beethoven: Mass in C
LSO/Fabio Luisi

Obradovic

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 19, 2014, 11:08:52 AM
I have one, BenHaim's overblown bloated oratorio, Joram.  No complaints about the sdound but you can infer my view of the music from the adjectives I used.  I have seen Amazon comments about Levine's M2 on Helicon which complained about the sonics, so maybe each recording needs to be sampled before buying.
Many thanks!

Brian

OK, follow-up: here are the two concerts I shall see in France in July! Going to the first one with my friends, the second one is solo. There may be a third concert if I find out about an organ recital at St. Etienne-du-Mont or another church in Paris.

7 July - Orangerie, Parc de Bagatelle, Paris (candlelight only)
Abdel Rahman El Bacha
Chopin: Sonata No 3
Chopin: Waltzes
Schubert: Impromptus D899
Schubert: Valses nobles et sentimentales
Ravel: Valses nobles et sentimentales

Samedi 12 Juillet - Chapelle St Pierre, Colmar
Quatuor Talich
Alexander Kniazev, violoncelle   
F. Mendelssohn : Quatuor à cordes en fa mineur op.80 (No. 6)
F. Schubert : Quintette à cordes avec deux violoncelles en ut majeur op.163 D956

Pat B

Brian, I am quite jealous about the Schubert Quintet despite not having any idea who's in the Talich Quartet these days.

On the plus side, I just bought tickets to see Jordi Savall and Hesperion XXI play their "Istanbul" program in February.

Brian

Quote from: Pat B on June 22, 2014, 09:33:55 PM
Brian, I am quite jealous about the Schubert Quintet despite not having any idea who's in the Talich Quartet these days.

On the plus side, I just bought tickets to see Jordi Savall and Hesperion XXI play their "Istanbul" program in February.
Whoa. Shall we form a Mutual Envy Society?

Pat B

Archaic Torso of Apollo

At the Grant Park Festival this Saturday:

Grant Park Orchestra
Grant Park Chorus
Carlos Kalmar, conductor

Barber: Fadograph of a Yestern Scene
Haydn: Symphony No. 98 in B Flat
Janáček: Glagolitic Mass

Can't pass up the chance to hear the Glagolitic Mass!

king ubu

Going to catch the Purcell programme by L'Arpeggiata/Pluhar with Jaroussky, Raquel Andueza, Vincenzo Capezzuto and jazzers Gianluigi Trovesi (love his music!) and Wolfgang Muthspiel next week:
http://www.schlossfestspiele.de/de/veranstaltungen/music_for_a_while_l_arpeggiata_philippe_jaroussky.htm/date_id:465
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Velimir on June 25, 2014, 07:15:45 PM
At the Grant Park Festival this Saturday:

Grant Park Orchestra
Grant Park Chorus
Carlos Kalmar, conductor

Barber: Fadograph of a Yestern Scene
Haydn: Symphony No. 98 in B Flat
Janáček: Glagolitic Mass

This turned out to be a good one:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-06-28/entertainment/ct-glagolitic-review-20140629_1_glagolitic-mass-concert-review-old-church-Slavonic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Velimir on June 30, 2014, 01:11:16 PM
This turned out to be a good one:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-06-28/entertainment/ct-glagolitic-review-20140629_1_glagolitic-mass-concert-review-old-church-Slavonic

Great! Thanks for sharing!
This was one I was hoping to attend, or at least make the radio.
The female vocalist is who will be performing Brunnhilde in Lyric's Ring Cycle in a few years.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 30, 2014, 01:25:29 PM
Great! Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, fun stuff, and it was good seeing 1000s of people come out for music most of them had probably never heard before.

Kalmar's doing an excellent job at Grant Park, both conducting- and programming-wise. Do the folks in Oregon feel lucky to have him?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Velimir on June 30, 2014, 02:58:15 PM
Kalmar's doing an excellent job at Grant Park, both conducting- and programming-wise. Do the folks in Oregon feel lucky to have him?

I continuously hear great things about Kalmar and the job he's doing, the musicians really respond well to him

I was worried about the weather, I was thinking you would suffer the same issue you did with Lyric's Parsifal and get stuck!  ;D I know Grant Park has had to push back the time and even cancelled a concert because of bad weather.

Do you think you'll make anymore shows this summer?