What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 30, 2014, 03:26:32 PM
Do you think you'll make anymore shows this summer?

At this moment, it doesn't look likely  :( since it's kind of a trek for us. That could easily change though, depending.

We had a 5-minute downpour before the concert. All it did was leave my seat wet, no further problems. This summer has been weird though, with these sudden intense rainstorms almost every day.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

jlaurson

Notes from the 2014 Salzburg Festival ( 1 )
Bach Recital • Pierre-Laurent Aimard

QuoteA Happy Spiritual Vortex

For a couple years, the Salzburg Festival has opened its doors a week earlier than traditionally, dubbing the prequel to the Festival—officially part of it, but taking place before the official opening ceremony— "Ouverture spirituelle". It began on the 18th with the BRSO and Haitink in Haydn's Creation. On Saturday came the first highlight—which, paraphrasing everyone I know who was there, was "a concert to remember for years, if not decades": Monteverdi's Vespro della Beata Vergine with John Elliot Gardiner and his bands, that used the Salzburg cathedral to ingenious acoustic effect. I missed that, but Monday I had my own Ouverture spirituelle in the form of Pierre-Laurent Aimard's recital of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier...

Notes from the 2014 Salzburg Festival ( 2 )
Bruckner Cycle IV • Barenboim, WPh

QuoteLorin Maazel was a fixture at the Salzburg Festival, leading 119 performances between 1963 and 2013.
It made sense, therefore, to slap an "in Memoriam" label onto one of this summer's performances and even more so
to make it one of the concerts in which a requiem featured... and furthermore with an orchestra that had a history with
Lorin Maazel. The first such concert happened to be the Vienna Philharmonic's opening shot under Daniel Barenboim—
the beginning of this year's Bruckner Cycle at the Salzburg Festival...

vandermolen

Walton's First Symphony at the Proms on London next Friday 1st August. Don't think I have heard it live before.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wendell_E

The Pacifica Quartet's opening our local (Mobile, AL) chamber music series in October.  No idea what they're playing yet.  Dare I hope for Carter?  Probably not, but maybe.  The JACK quartet were here a year or two ago and we did get Xenakis' Tetras, not in the regular concert, but in an evening-before free concert/talk at a local coffee house.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

EigenUser

Some upcoming concerts that I may or may not go to. Green means that I almost certainly plan on it. Thoughts/recommendations?

Philadelphia Orchestra, November 2014
-Mahler, Symphony No. 2 ;D

National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, November 2014
-Stravinsky, The Rite of Spring

American Symphony Orchestra at Carnegie Hall, December 2014
-Ligeti, Requiem  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Schnittke, Nagasaki
-Vaughn-Williams, Symphony No. 6

Philadelphia Orchestra, February 2015 ;D ;D ;D
-Wagner, Prelude to Act I of "Lohengrin"
-Berg, Violin Concerto
-Ligeti, Atmosphères ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Debussy, La Mer ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, February 2015
-Faure, Pelléas et Mélisande, Suite, Op. 80 ;D ;D
-Pintscher Mar'eh
-Ravel, Daphnis et Chloé (complete) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Philadelphia Orchestra, February 2015
-Stravinsky, Symphony in C
-Shostakovich, Symphony No. 9 ;D ;D
-Prokofiev, Symphony No. 5

New York Philharmonic Orchestra, March 2015
-Esa-Pekka Salonen, Nyx
-Ravel, Piano Concerto in G major ;D ;D ;D
-Debussy, Jeux ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-R. Strauss, Der Rosenkavalier Suite
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on July 27, 2014, 01:00:39 PM
Some upcoming concerts that I may or may not go to. Green means that I almost certainly plan on it. Thoughts/recommendations?

-Schnittke, Nagasaki

[asin]B0011865IQ[/asin]

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on July 27, 2014, 02:05:54 PM

[asin]B0011865IQ[/asin]
Yes, I do agree that the works you quoted are akin to caffeine, Ken!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

kishnevi

Quote from: EigenUser on July 27, 2014, 01:00:39 PM

Philadelphia Orchestra, November 2014
-Mahler, Symphony No. 2 ;D

National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, November 2014
-Stravinsky, The Rite of Spring

-Schnittke, Nagasaki
-Vaughn-Williams, Symphony No. 6

-Wagner, Prelude to Act I of "Lohengrin"
-Berg, Violin Concerto

National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, February 2015
-Faure, Pelléas et Mélisande, Suite, Op. 80 ;D ;D
-Pintscher Mar'eh
-Ravel, Daphnis et Chloé (complete) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Philadelphia Orchestra, February 2015
-Stravinsky, Symphony in C
-Shostakovich, Symphony No. 9 ;D ;D
-Prokofiev, Symphony No. 5

-Esa-Pekka Salonen, Nyx
-Ravel, Piano Concerto in G major ;D ;D ;D

I would make room for the Mahler 2....you may not have a chance to hear it live for years.  I would boot out the last one if need be on the grounds that at least half of it is stuff you can hear live many times, and I am not sure that the same can not be said of tge Ravel.  Only Nyx is something from that concert you may never have a chance to hear live again.

EigenUser

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 27, 2014, 06:26:25 PM
I would make room for the Mahler 2....you may not have a chance to hear it live for years.  I would boot out the last one if need be on the grounds that at least half of it is stuff you can hear live many times, and I am not sure that the same can not be said of tge Ravel.  Only Nyx is something from that concert you may never have a chance to hear live again.
Thanks!

I love the Ravel PC, but that isn't the reason for the concert (though it sweetens the deal). Debussy's Jeux is probably difficult to find performances of and it is one of my favorite pieces ever.

Actually, Thibaudet and the NSO performed the Ravel PC two weeks ago at an outdoor amphitheater about five minutes from my house, but I decided not to see it. For fun, I play the two-piano version of the piece with a friend and I would have gone if he was interested, but he seemed pretty indifferent.

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on July 28, 2014, 03:20:43 AMActually, Thibaudet and the NSO performed the Ravel PC two weeks ago at an outdoor amphitheater about five minutes from my house, but I decided not to see it. For fun, I play the two-piano version of the piece with a friend and I would have gone if he was interested, but he seemed pretty indifferent.
We can still be friends, perhaps8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Of those seven concerts, personally I should find this one nigh obligatory:

QuotePhiladelphia Orchestra, February 2015
- Stravinsky, Symphony in C
- Shostakovich, Symphony No. 9
- Prokofiev, Symphony No. 5
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on July 28, 2014, 04:08:26 AM
Of those seven concerts, personally I should find this one nigh obligatory:
{Igor, Dmitri, Sergei}
Yes, that's the one I'd go to.  Three great symphonies, widely varied in character yet with a unifying theme. Great programming.
Plus C beats the hell out of anything Ravebussy even dreamed of  :)

Nate should certainly go to Jeux. Don't even think of missing that one, because you love the piece so much. Otherwise Jeffrey's advice is sage.

stingo

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 27, 2014, 06:26:25 PM

Very true. I learned my lesson the last time Philly played M2. I've rectified my mistake this year as my subscription already has it, or I added the performance on when I re-subscribed.

Lisztianwagner

Just bought a ticket for the concert of the Wiener Philharmoniker with Georges Pretre at Teatro alla Scala, next October; I'm really really happy!! ;D

Franz Schubert   Symphony N° 2 in B flat major D 125
Johann Strauss, father and son  Waltzes and Polkas

Georges Pretre
Wiener Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

kishnevi

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 31, 2014, 11:30:51 PM

Franz Schubert   Symphony N° 2 in B flat major D 125
                                for soloists, chorus and orchestra

I think something went missing there.  Unless M. Pretre has made the Schubert discovery of the decade.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 01, 2014, 05:00:15 AM
I think something went missing there.  Unless M. Pretre has made the Schubert discovery of the decade.

Yes, thanks for warning; they must have made a mistake on the website of the theatre.......
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

jochanaan

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 01, 2014, 05:58:16 AM
Yes, thanks for warning; they must have made a mistake on the website of the theatre.......
My first guess is that they actually meant the Mendelssohn Lobgesang...
Imagination + discipline = creativity

jlaurson

Notes from the 2014 Salzburg Festival ( 3 )
Ouverture spirituelle • William Christie & Les Arts Florissant: Rameau and Mondonville: Motets

QuoteJolly Grand Motets

William Christie, the American gentleman early music pioneer, dapper and smiling like Michael Caine on a good day, led his band of splendid musicians, Les Arts Florissant, in a quartet of Grand Motets by Jean-Philippe Rameau and Jean-Joseph Cassanéa de Mondonville in the Salzburg University's Collegiate Church. After having missed the apparently beyond-spectacular Gardiner/mco_London Monteverdi performance at the Salzburg cathedral, I wasn't going to take any chances missing another Overture spirituelle concert of early music in sacred setting... not that I would have missed...

pjme

Tonight:
http://www.amuz.be/en/node/2399

Concerto Palatino

Il giovane Claudio

In what kind of world did Monteverdi live as a youngster? Who were his musical models, colleagues and competitors? Which ideas were imparted to him as the enabling condition to grow from a young pharmacist's son into the great Claudio Monteverdi whom we know from the Vespers and Orfeo? Concerto Palatino will sort this out for you. A festive festival opener with international, vocal and instrumental top soloists!

This tailor-made programme includes music by Marc'Antonio Ingegneri, Monteverdi's teacher in Cremona, and by Benedetto Pallavicino, one of his conductors at the court of Mantua. Other composers passing in review are Adrian Willaert, the Gabrieli brothers, and evidently young Claudio himself! The singers and the wind instrument players of Concerto Palatino will get their act together for a splendid homage to Monteverdi's young genius and its breeding ground: grandeur assured!