What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

listener

coming Satirday not quite what one would expect on a rather folksy titled 'Music from the Old Country' on a series that's a bit pops oriented
Walton Façade: Suite No. 2
Butterworth The Banks of Green Willow
Elgar Cello Concerto in E minor*
Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 4 in F minor
Vancouver S.O.     Tovey conducting  *with our new principal cello
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Sergeant Rock

In two weeks I'll be seeing the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz

Raminta Serksnyta Eisbergas
Mendelssohn Violin Concerto E minor
Bruckner Symphony No.4

Augustin Hadelich, violin
Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla, conducting

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: listener on September 29, 2014, 09:39:54 AM
coming Satirday not quite what one would expect on a rather folksy titled 'Music from the Old Country' on a series that's a bit pops oriented
Walton Façade: Suite No. 2
Butterworth The Banks of Green Willow
Elgar Cello Concerto in E minor*
Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 4 in F minor
Vancouver S.O.     Tovey conducting  *with our new principal cello

What a great (perfect) program!

Sarge

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 30, 2014, 04:36:17 AM

Liar! You'll be watching the conductor and the conductor only.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Florestan on September 30, 2014, 04:50:21 AM
Liar! You'll be watching the conductor and the conductor only.  ;D

I ordered front row seats of course  8)

Sarge

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Florestan on September 30, 2014, 05:18:23 AM
And yet you'll mostly see the back...  ;D

No, our usual seats are on the end of the row next to one of the exists (which means we are first in line at the bar at intermission  8) ) Those seats provide a nice view of the conductor in profile actually.

Sarge

Florestan

Sergeant Rock

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 30, 2014, 05:27:36 AM
You don't know Mrs. Rock  :laugh:

That's ambiguous. Do you mean that accepting those seats which allow you to profile (pun intended) the conductresses was her pretext for being closer to the bar than anyone else?  ;D

(Sorry, couldn't resist.  :P )

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 30, 2014, 04:36:17 AM

Raminta Serksnyta Eisbergas
Mendelssohn Violin Concerto E minor
Bruckner Symphony No.4

Augustin Hadelich, violin
Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla, conducting

Sarge

Just did a google search for Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla and this video surfaced. A must see!!!

https://www.youtube.com/v/wUXv6uTsIfI

jlaurson

That's where this belongs, you silly Konzerthaus you.

Quote from: WienerKonzerthaus on October 03, 2014, 07:38:21 AM
Bravo! If you haven't read about it in the other thread where the solution has been posted, can you give it to me in no more than six letters/numerals?  ::)

#SpotifyPlaylist @WienerKonzerthaus

Every month we intend to publish two Playlists: One with all the classical pieces in the concerts we present the following month -- and one with the World & Jazz bits.

Here's the classical list for the Month of October. Where possible, the artists actually playing the works are chosen, but usually that's not the case. What recordings might you have chosen to present a given work from its best side??

Is this thing useful or confusing?

>>> direct HTML Spotify Link

Tumblr | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

Not the worst lineup, though:
Yuja Wang,
Australian Chamber Orchestra / Bezuidenhout / Tognetti,
Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra / Tetzlaff / Harding,
Ian Bostridge / Thomas Adès,
Hans Rott Quartett / Meister,
Wiener KammerOrchester / Garanca / Chichon,
ORF Radio-Symphonieorchester Wien / Midori / Quasthoff / Meister,
Hugo Wolf Quartet,
Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra / Frang / Stenz,
Quatuor Ardeo,
Mariinsky Orchestra / Kozhukhin / Volodin / Abduraimov / Babayan / GergievGergiev (All Prokofiev Piano Concertos in two concerts),
Matthias Goerne / Martin Helmchen,
...and lots of. G.F.Haas as part of "Wien Modern"

listener

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 30, 2014, 04:48:20 AM
What a great (perfect) program!

Sarge
It met my hopes.  The Walton was the orchestra version with no horns or timpani but with a drum kit and sax, the concerto came off very well, cellist gave it an extra level of feeling we discovered as he had cut a finger slicing veggies for a light supper and had two stitches in his right hand.   And the VW 4th made sense even in its unorthodox harmonies.   An attentive audience too (the blue rinse/Q-tip crowd will be at tomorrow's afternoon show,)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on September 29, 2014, 06:36:44 AM
I just scored a free ticket to see DSCH 8! I have never heard it before - thought this was the kind of piece where a live First Listen would be a hell of an experience. And a live First Listen I shall have.  8) 8)

Mozart | Piano Concerto No 14
Shostakovich | Symphony No 8

Emanuel Ax
Dallas SO/Jaap van Zweden

How was the concert, Brian:)

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 06, 2014, 07:36:13 AM
How was the concert, Brian:)
Awesome!

Jaap van Zweden aggravated a shoulder injury and was replaced by Karina Canellakis (hope I'm spelling that right), DSO's assistant conducting babe. Not being familiar with Shosty's Eighth, I can't tell you how she did, but the nerdy dude in front of me said it was "pretty good for stepping in at the last minute," though he clearly had reservations.

The piece is pretty awesome live, and the 100+ college students I saw it with LOVED it. (I work for a community college which secured free tickets for several music classes and 15 faculty members, including yours truly.) I asked a lot of them afterwards how they liked the symphony, and every sex, ethnicity, nationality, and level of music knowledge agreed: "awesome," "so amazing," "beautiful," "intense," "loved it." Seeing that enthusiasm was just as cool as seeing the music.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on October 06, 2014, 07:46:08 AM
Awesome!

Jaap van Zweden aggravated a shoulder injury and was replaced by Karina Canellakis (hope I'm spelling that right), DSO's assistant conducting babe. Not being familiar with Shosty's Eighth, I can't tell you how she did, but the nerdy dude in front of me said it was "pretty good for stepping in at the last minute," though he clearly had reservations.

The piece is pretty awesome live, and the 100+ college students I saw it with LOVED it. (I work for a community college which secured free tickets for several music classes and 15 faculty members, including yours truly.) I asked a lot of them afterwards how they liked the symphony, and every sex, ethnicity, nationality, and level of music knowledge agreed: "awesome," "so amazing," "beautiful," "intense," "loved it." Seeing that enthusiasm was just as cool as seeing the music.

Excellent, Brian.  I am glad it was a great experience for so many young people.  It is an amazing work, and incredibly intense.  :)

king ubu

Haven't bought a ticket yet ... not sure if I should shelve out a lot of money for a good one, the hall in wonderful and it might well be worth it ...

Natalie Dessay & Le Concert d'Astrée performing parts of "Giulio Cesare in Egitto" (with countertenor Christophe Dumaux - unknown to me so far) in Lucerne, Nov. 18:
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/events/event-282733848.html
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mookalafalas

Not too many folks hit southern Taiwan on their tours.  Ingolf Wunder is coming in about 10 days. I actually have a 3 hour graduate class at that time (I'm the teacher), but went ahead and cancelled so I could go to the concert.  Saw Boris Berezovsky two years ago, and Michael Lewis last year.  Those are the only two non-university classical performances I've ever seen...
It's all good...

Brian

Ingolf Wunder is very good with Scarlatti, Mozart, and similar composers. I got to review his most recent CD.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on October 08, 2014, 04:48:27 AM
Ingolf Wunder is very good with Scarlatti, Mozart, and similar composers. I got to review his most recent CD.

I think the whole evening is Chopin and Liszt.
It's all good...