What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: MishaK on April 14, 2015, 11:21:45 AM
I'm going to the Turangalila as well. Which performances are you guys attending? I'm going to the Saturday performance. GMG-mini-reunion? Also going to the other two Salonen programs in May, Saturdays again.

Gotta be Saturday, since it's the only day that works for me. Yeah, a reunion would be nice. How about you, EigenUser?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

EigenUser

Quote from: MishaK on April 14, 2015, 11:21:45 AM
I'm going to the Turangalila as well. Which performances are you guys attending? I'm going to the Saturday performance. GMG-mini-reunion? Also going to the other two Salonen programs in May, Saturdays again.
Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on April 14, 2015, 11:30:34 AM
Gotta be Saturday, since it's the only day that works for me. Yeah, a reunion would be nice. How about you, EigenUser?
I think it will have to be a Friday (I'm leaving on Sunday morning, so I don't know if I'll want to be up late the night before), but I'll still be around on Saturday if you guys want to meet up before your concert. I'll keep you guys posted when the time gets closer.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

MishaK

Quote from: EigenUser on April 14, 2015, 02:30:46 PM
I think it will have to be a Friday (I'm leaving on Sunday morning, so I don't know if I'll want to be up late the night before), but I'll still be around on Saturday if you guys want to meet up before your concert. I'll keep you guys posted when the time gets closer.

The Friday performance is a 1:30 pm matinee, FYI.

HIPster

Will be in Eugene, OR for this upcoming performance - very excited!   :)

http://www.oregonbachcollegium.org/music-at-the-concert-spirituel/

Music At The Concert Spirituel

From the Dresden court to Les Tuileries central pavilion, concerts featuring the traverso became venues for the highest level of artistry. In Paris Michael Blavet brought the flute into a place of prominence at the Concert Spirituel, the first public concert series in France. Our program features Kim Pineda, traverso, in one quartet by each of the composers celebrated in this program. Johann Joachim Quantz was also a flute virtuoso and composer. As instructor for Frederick the Great, Quantz was called upon to produce a prodigious number of compositions for his master, but his quartets contradict any association with the gallant "Berlin Style." They are instead masterpieces of counterpoint for four independent voices. Telemann's "Paris" quartets were written at the invitation of Blavet and other virtuosi at the Concert Sprituel, and were regarded as some of Telemann's most frequently performed works.

Our program opens with Telemann's A Minor 'Paris' quartet, followed by sonatas by Blavet (Op. 3 #5), LeClair (Op 3 #7), and Barrière (Op4 #1), a trio sonata by LeClair (Op 8) and concludes with Telemann's A Major 'Paris' quartet. Performers are Kim Pineda, traverso, Michael Sand, baroque violin, Marc Vanscheeuwijck, 'cello, Ann Shaffer, viola da gamba, Sarah Pyle, traverso and Margret Gries, harpsichord.

[edit] love the  8)!!!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

EigenUser

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2015, 10:23:31 AM
Farthest I've ever traveled is 1,000 miles (to Warsaw from London to see Warsaw/Wit do Mahler's Third). No regrets at all, it was the best concert of my life. So - enjoy!!
Brian, did you really just travel for that concert? That's pretty cool! I've only heard parts of M3... I should change that, but I'm intimidated by its length.

Quote from: MishaK on April 14, 2015, 03:07:18 PM
The Friday performance is a 1:30 pm matinee, FYI.
So I guess I'll be going to the Saturday one. I got the dates mixed up. Thanks for the tip.

But why a Friday matinee?! I thought that was a Sunday thing...
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

MishaK

Quote from: EigenUser on April 15, 2015, 02:38:53 PM
But why a Friday matinee?! I thought that was a Sunday thing...

Most of the Friday subscription concerts are matinees and always have been. Beats me why. Guest acts, international orchestras, the Civic orchestra and jazz get the Friday nights. Sunday matinees are not CSO concerts, but usually chamber music or solo recitals. CSO subscription concerts are usually Thurdsay night, Friday matinee (occasionally Friday night instead), Saturday night and (not always but usually) Tuesday night.

Phrygian

Tomorrow night, Donizetti's "Anne Boleyn" with Anna Netrebko.  Wiener Staatsoper Live am Platz - where the whole opera is projected onto a large screen at the side of the opera house showing what's going on inside.  And it's free!  I'll be there at 6.15pm to ensure I get a good seat. 

Then there are the remaining 8 of my Vienna concerts, starting on Sunday with Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra/Mariss Jansons.  Spoilt for choice!!  And the weather here is glorious.

Karl Henning

Concert about to begin ... Ryu Goto, violin, & Carmen Rodríguez-Peralta, piano; Franck, Saariaho, Wieniawski

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Phrygian

I remember seeing Alan Gilbert conduct the New York Philharmonic at the Musikverein in 2011.  He was really very good and that orchestra was first rate (only trumped slightly by the Chicago band).  Gilbert is leaving the NYPO, I understand.

The program at the Barbican looks really good;  Stravinsky and Bartok - wunderbah!

Christo

Tomorrow night, Geertekerk Utrecht (Netherlands): Pieter Wispelwey cello and the Bellitoni SO under Jurjen Hempel:

Ravel, Une barque sur l' ocean
Prokofiev, Sinfonia Concertante in e
Vaughan Williams, A London Symphony

(First time to hear A London live; have heard the other pieces before).  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Christo on April 21, 2015, 11:25:40 PM
Tomorrow night, Geertekerk Utrecht (Netherlands): Pieter Wispelwey cello and the Bellitoni SO under Jurjen Hempel:

Ravel, Une barque sur l' ocean
Prokofiev, Sinfonia Concertante in e
Vaughan Williams, A London Symphony

(First time to hear A London live; have heard the other pieces before).  :)

That's a well programmed show, Christo. Hope you enjoy it!

Christo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 22, 2015, 02:05:24 AMThat's a well programmed show, Christo. Hope you enjoy it!

Glad that you like it! I know it's more convenient to boast the 'Great Performances Attended' here - as I sometimes do myself. In my case, all within a one hour travelling distance from my home, e.g. the Amsterdam Concertgebouw Orchestra, or Gergiev conducting the Rotterdam PO, or the same high standards in the main concert venue of The Hague.
But I confess that I often like this type of semi-professional performances (though Wispelwey is well-known cellist) just as much. In medieval churches (as tonight) and other concert halls. Because of the enthusiasm invested & the more adventurous repertoire offered. Last week I heard a similar semi-professional orchestra do a great Mahler and tonight will be my first A London Symphony ever.   :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Wanderer

Quote from: Christo on April 21, 2015, 11:25:40 PM
Pieter Wispelwey cello

I'm very fond of his Beethoven sonatas recording and I'd love to see him perform someday. Enjoy the concert!

Christo

Quote from: Wanderer on April 22, 2015, 11:02:00 PMI'm very fond of his Beethoven sonatas recording and I'd love to see him perform someday. Enjoy the concert!

Well, he DID a great job. Playing the Prokofiev Sinfonia concertante - actually a Second Cello Concerto, but indeed of symphonic proportions - by head and with gusto. Sat within a few yards distance and enjoyed it tremendously. (Though I came for A London Symphony especially).

MishaK

This Saturday on the BPO's Digital Concert Hall:

Gruber: Aerial
Mahler: Symphony No. 5

Andriss Nelsons
Hakan Hardenberger, trumpet

Obradovic

May 1st, The Megaron Concert Hall, Athens
Giocchino Rossini: Semiramide Overture
Jean Sibelius: Violin Concerto in D minor       
Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 3 in E flat maj. "Rhenish"

Leonidas Kavakos
Berliner Philharmoniker
Sir Simon Rattle

European Concert of the Berlin Philharmonic

I had to wake up at 05.00  :D to make sure I'd get a ticket and it paid off   :) :) :)

Lisztianwagner

On 25th June, Teatro alla Scala:

Gustav Mahler Symphony No.3

Mariss Jansons/Wiener Philharmoniker

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

11 May in Harvard Square, our Triad endeavor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

pjme

Yesterday in Antwerp: sir Edward Elgar: The kingdom / Martyn Brabbins replaced Edo de Waart who cancelled most(all?) concerts for the next month(s).

Excellent performance by the Royal Flemish PhO , Dutch Radio and Flemish Radio Choirs . Good soloists: Italian soprano Edith Haller, american mezzo Elisabeth Deshong ( she was outstanding), baritone Jeremy Carpenter and tenor John Daszak ( rather unpleasant, metallic sounding...), both British.
Still, in a live performance this is a truly great work, "great seas of sound" (dixit mrs.Elgar). Its message still actual in these "earth shaken", hostile,cruel times...

Next thursday, in Bruges: Orchestra ex machina, a whole week end of old and new futurisms. The Brussels PHO perform Varèse: Amériques, Ravel, left hand concerto with Severin von Eckhardstein and Prokofiev's second Symphony. conductor: Nicholas Collon! The same program goes also to Brussels/BOZAR. Von Eckhardstein performs Prokofiev 2.

dr.daysleeper

There is an awesome thing coming up in London, May 2015. Szymanowski's King Roger will be staged at Covent Garden. Can't wait to see that:

http://culture.pl/en/article/a-mortals-guide-to-king-roger