What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Mahler's 1st and Saint-Saens 3rd violin concerto tomorrow night.  It is a University production, but I'm sure I will have a very nice time.  There is a guest violinist...Christophe Boulier. 
    This is in Tainan, Taiwan.  If anyone is in the neighborhood, I have an extra ticket ;)
It's all good...

Wanderer

Quote from: Wanderer on March 31, 2015, 10:43:33 AM
May 1st, at the Megaron Concert Hall in Athens:

Europakonzert of the Berliner Philharmoniker
Berliner Philharmoniker
Sir Simon Rattle, conductor
Leonidas Kavakos, violin

Giocchino Rossini: Semiramide Overture

Jean Sibelius: Violin Concerto in D minor       

Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, "Rhenish"

An electrifying concert. Kavakos gave an impassioned and exhilarating rendition of the Sibelius and the "Rhenish" was among the best I've heard, live or otherwise.

The (non-HD) feed from Greek National TV will be up until the end of May.

bhodges

Quote from: Wanderer on May 02, 2015, 11:13:16 PM
An electrifying concert. Kavakos gave an impassioned and exhilarating rendition of the Sibelius and the "Rhenish" was among the best I've heard, live or otherwise.

The (non-HD) feed from Greek National TV will be up until the end of May.

Thanks for the report - and the link! Sounds like a great evening.

When I heard Kavakos do the Sibelius a few years ago, it was the first time I really liked the piece. Something in the phrasing and pacing just clicked...coupled with everything else he does so well.

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Obradovic

Quote from: Brewski on May 06, 2015, 06:45:53 AM
Sounds like a great evening.

In fact it was noon (12.00 local)  :)

Yes, it was a brilliant concert and Kavakos gave his best self, playing the 3rd movement as if possessed

jlaurson

Tomorrow:

Munich Philharmonic, Yuja Wang, Michał Nesterowicz (subbing for Maazel)
Prokofiev PC#2
Brahms Sy.2

Friday:

Munich [sic] Radio SO, Ulf Schirmer
Braunfels [!!!] "Das Spiel von der Auferstehung des Herrn"

next Thursday:

Bavarian RSO, Igor Levit, Lionel Bringuier
Anton Webern Passacaglia D-minor, op. 1
Ludwig van Beethoven PC#3
Florent Schmitt "La tragédie de Salomé"
Maurice Ravel Boléro (uck)

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on May 06, 2015, 07:11:31 AM
This one

Congrats, and good luck!  8)

Meanwhile, tomorrow and Friday, two concerts of music by Klaus Lang, with the composer on organ, and the group Yarn/Wire (2 pianists/2 percussionists). A few years ago I had the pleasure of interviewing Lang, who rarely comes to the United States, so it will be nice to see him again (and hear his music, of course).

http://www.klang.mur.at/

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: jlaurson on May 06, 2015, 09:01:44 AM
Munich [sic] Radio SO, Ulf Schirmer

Why the "[sic]"? That's the correct spelling and you're not quoting. How is Schirmer doing these days? I've never seen anyone give so many wrong cues in a short standard rep piece as that guy when I saw him conduct the Vienna Symphony some 15 years ago.

ritter

Semyon Bychkov will conduct Mahler's Sixth Symphony with the Spanish National Orchestra at the end of this month. Friends from out of town will be coming to Madrid specifically for the concert (and the après-concert dinner  ;)), so this promises to be a very intense mahlerian-culinary weekend  :)

Cheers

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on May 08, 2015, 02:47:58 AM
Semyon Bychkov will conduct Mahler's Sixth Symphony with the Spanish National Orchestra at the end of this month. Friends from out of town will be coming to Madrid specifically for the concert (and the après-concert dinner  ;)), so this promises to be a very intense mahlerian-culinary weekend  :)

Cheers

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: ritter on May 08, 2015, 02:47:58 AM

Cheers
Have a good time, Rafael!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jlaurson

Quote from: MishaK on May 06, 2015, 01:37:01 PM
Why the "[sic]"? That's the correct spelling and you're not quoting. How is Schirmer doing these days? I've never seen anyone give so many wrong cues in a short standard rep piece as that guy when I saw him conduct the Vienna Symphony some 15 years ago.

Schirmer seems to be doing fine with playing second and fifth fiddle in Leipzig and Munich...

the "[sic]" to indicate that I do indeed mean the Munich RSO and not the Bavarian RSO.

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on May 08, 2015, 07:04:55 AM
the "[sic]" to indicate that I do indeed mean the Munich RSO and not the Bavarian RSO.
Sic means something is a mistake. What you're after is the exact opposite of [sic]...

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on May 08, 2015, 07:07:33 AM
Sic means something is a mistake. What you're after is the exact opposite of [sic]...

No, Brian, that's not what [sic!] means. It simply means: Written as intended and/or quoted thus. It happens to usually indicate a mistake in quoted material, in order to shift the blame... therefore attaining the connotation which you cite. But my usage is perfectly fine.

North Star

Quote from: jlaurson on May 08, 2015, 07:14:08 AM
No, Brian, that's not what [sic!] means. It simply means: Written as intended and/or quoted thus. It happens to usually indicate a mistake in quoted material, in order to shift the blame... therefore attaining the connotation which you cite. But my usage is perfectly fine.
Yes, really. [sic]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

MishaK

On Saturday, the first of three installments of the EPK/CSO French Music combo:

Ravel Mother Goose Suite
Debussy La damoiselle élue
Ravel L'enfant et les sortilèges

Performers

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Esa-Pekka Salonen conductor 
Chloé Briot soprano (Child) 
Kate Royal soprano (Shepherdess/Bat/Owl) 
Marie-Eve Munger coloratura soprano (Fire/Nightingale/Princess) 
Marianne Crebassa mezzo-soprano (Louis XV Chair/Shepherd/Squirrel/Female Cat) 
Manuel Núñez Camelino tenor (Teapot/Little Old Man (Arithmetic)/Frog) 
Elodie Méchain contralto (Mother/Chinese Cup/Dragonfly) 
Stéphane Degout  baritone (Clock/Tomcat) 
Eric Owens  bass-baritone (Armchair/Tree) 
Chicago Symphony Chorus
Duain Wolfe  chorus director 
Anima: Young Singers of Greater Chicago 
Emily Ellsworth

Pat B

Quote from: jlaurson on May 08, 2015, 07:14:08 AM

Oh! It's so typically used to denote a mistake, I wasn't aware of the broader meaning.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pat B on May 08, 2015, 09:04:30 AM
Oh! It's so typically used to denote a mistake, I wasn't aware of the broader meaning.

It has happened to me more than once, that I was misled by usage always being thus when I encountered a word/phrase, into taking other uses as mistaken.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

MishaK

Quote from: jlaurson on May 08, 2015, 07:04:55 AM

Well, since that is his band and not the BRSO it would have been more surprising the other way around, I suppose.  ;)

jlaurson

Quote from: MishaK on May 08, 2015, 09:11:45 AM
Well, since that is his band and not the BRSO it would have been more surprising the other way around, I suppose.  ;)

In the context of the musically erudite GMG CMF, yes, maybe that wasn't necessary. I was starting from the presumption that most people don't even know that there IS a Munich RSO that's distinct from the BRSO.  ;)