What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

After having missed (I finally spent the weekend in Belgium) Mahler's Sixth with the Spanish National Orchestra under Bychkov--my Mahlerian friends tell me it was great, "the best they've ever seen in a concert hall"--, I'm looking forward to Fidelio this coming Sunday at the Teatro Real, conducted by Hartmut Haenchen and staged by Pier'Alli... :)

ritter

Well, yesterday's performance of Fidelio was solid and enjoyable. The cast included Adrienne Piezconka in the title rôle, Michael König as Floretsan, Anett Fritsch as Marzelline and Franz-Josef Selig as Rocco. The latter two were superb IMHO. Hartmut Haenchen conducted with brio (more so as the work progressed from the "domestic" initial scenes to the "heroic" finale).

One interesting feature of this production is that instead of interpolating the Leonore III overture between scenes 1 and 2 of the Act II (as is often done), Haenchen made the experiment of interpolating the last two movements of the Fifth symphony. It appears odd, but the musical arch created, starting with the O namenlose Freude duet, followed by the scherzo and allegro from the symphony, and culminating in the final tableau (all played attaccca, with no interruptions) was rather convincing...

Florestan

George Enescu Festival 2015

Tuesday 01.09 20:00
Grand Palace Hall

ISRAEL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
CHOIR OF THE "GEORGE ENESCU" PHILHARMONIC
Conductor: ZUBIN MEHTA
Conductor of the Choir: ION IOSIF PRUNNER

Program:
Enescu – "Vox Maris" op. 31
Soloist: MARIUS VLAD BUDOIU (tenor)
Mahler – Symphony no. 9 in D Major

and

Sunday 06.09 19:30
Grand Palace Hall

SAN FRANCISCO SYMPHONY

Conductor: MICHAEL TILSON THOMAS
Soloist: YUJA WANG – piano

Program:
C. Ives – Decoration Day
Bartók – Concerto for piano and orchestra no. 2 in G Major Sz.95, BB 101
Mahler – Symphony no. 1 in D Major

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2015, 05:19:03 AM

Grand Palace Hall

Program:

and

Grand Palace Hall

SAN FRANCISCO SYMPHONY

Program:
C. Ives – Decoration Day
Very, very appealing programs, Florestan...both of them! Enjoy!

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on June 15, 2015, 05:46:12 AM
Very, very appealing programs, Florestan...both of them! Enjoy!

Thanks, I surely will.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Obradovic

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2015, 05:19:03 AM

Grand Palace Hall

Program:

and

Grand Palace Hall

SAN FRANCISCO SYMPHONY

Program:
C. Ives – Decoration Day

You made it then!!! So goooooooooooood!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

lovinglife

Because she's pretty big in northern Europe, Gunilla Süssmann will be playing Malmö this summer. And yes, I'm pretty stoked!  :D

MishaK

This should be interesting, in two weeks:

Jay Pritzker Pavilion
Concert: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 8:00pm – 10:00pm 
Club 615—A Pre-Concert Lecture: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 7:00pm – 7:45pm
Open Rehearsal: Tuesday, July 7, 2015, 11:00am – 1:30pm
Open Rehearsal: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 11:00am – 1:30pm

Grant Park Orchestra
Karina Canellakis, Guest Conductor

Adams: Lollapalooza
Bernstein: Suite from Fancy Free
Franck: Symphony in D

Brian

Looks like I will be in Montreal this August for the OSM's festival of short 30-40 minute concerts. They're doing 30 different programs in 2 days, some of them solo, some chamber, some using the full orchestra. Each concert is under $10 and lasts under 45 minutes.

A few examples:
- Benjamin Grosvenor solo recital of Mendelssohn preludes & fugues + Ravel's Tombeau de Couperin
- an organist improvising accompaniment to a Buster Keaton movie
- James Ehnes joining OSM & Kent Nagano for a Frank Zappa piece and Barber's Violin Concerto
- Nikolai Lugansky, James Ehnes, and others playing Cesar Franck's piano quintet
- OSM/Nagano doing Respighi's Pines of Rome

There is also an OSM/Nagano Beethoven Fifth, but it's already sold out.

Very cool concept for a festival.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on June 29, 2015, 10:42:32 AM
Looks like I will be in Montreal this August for the OSM's festival of short 30-40 minute concerts. They're doing 30 different programs in 2 days, some of them solo, some chamber, some using the full orchestra. Each concert is under $10 and lasts under 45 minutes.

A few examples:
- Benjamin Grosvenor solo recital of Mendelssohn preludes & fugues + Ravel's Tombeau de Couperin
- an organist improvising accompaniment to a Buster Keaton movie
- James Ehnes joining OSM & Kent Nagano for a Frank Zappa piece and Barber's Violin Concerto
- Nikolai Lugansky, James Ehnes, and others playing Cesar Franck's piano quintet
- OSM/Nagano doing Respighi's Pines of Rome

There is also an OSM/Nagano Beethoven Fifth, but it's already sold out.

Very cool concept for a festival.

I've got to ask: which Zappa piece?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Drasko

On Wednesday:

Bach

Organ Concerto in D minor BWV 596 (after Vivaldi Op. 3/11)
Choral Preludes Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland BWV 659, 660, 661 
Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor BWV 582

Jörg Halubek will be playing organ at Belgrade Catholic Cathedral of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary. It's modern Italian instrument by Francesco Zanin (three manuals, 49 registers).

Brian

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 14, 2015, 09:42:16 AM
Grant Park Symphony performing  Bruckner 6th,

It's confirmed, I will be seeing Bruckner's 6th for the first time live, and twice in two days, Friday, July 31, 2015, 6:30pm, Saturday, August 1, 2015, 7:30pm.
I'm unfamiliar with conductor Christoph König, but his bio is extensive, and it's a little exciting not knowing what to expect from his interpretation.

EigenUser

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 06, 2015, 05:19:39 PM
It's confirmed, I will be seeing Bruckner's 6th for the first time live, and twice in two days, Friday, July 31, 2015, 6:30pm, Saturday, August 1, 2015, 7:30pm.
I'm unfamiliar with conductor Christoph König, but his bio is extensive, and it's a little exciting not knowing what to expect from his interpretation.
So you are traveling to Chicago just for a concert, too? I made my journey this past May to see the CSO in Messiaen's Turangalila-Symphonie, which was epic.

I love Bruckner's 6th (thanks to you, in part!). Should be exciting to see live.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: EigenUser on July 07, 2015, 01:53:48 AM
So you are traveling to Chicago just for a concert, too? I made my journey this past May to see the CSO in Messiaen's Turangalila-Symphonie, which was epic.

I love Bruckner's 6th (thanks to you, in part!). Should be exciting to see live.

Yes and no, my brother lives in Chicago and also plays in Grant Park Symphony and Lyric Opera, so every once in a while ill fly up for a two day trip if there's a concert/opera I really want to see. And to also hang out and eat some good food.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 07, 2015, 03:01:02 AM
Yes and no, my brother lives in Chicago and also plays in Grant Park Symphony and Lyric Opera, so every once in a while ill fly up for a two day trip if there's a concert/opera I really want to see. And to also hang out and eat some good food.

Where else you gonna find Chicago dogs?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2015, 03:17:35 AM
Where else you gonna find Chicago dogs?

This is true, and continue to search for the answer of which is better, NY style pizza or Chicago style. Which honestly I don't eat much pizza so Ill leave that one alone.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 07, 2015, 03:01:02 AM

You got any opera plans for the upcoming? I'm looking at Marriage of Figaro and Wozzeck.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 07, 2015, 07:18:39 AM
You got any opera plans for the upcoming? I'm looking at Marriage of Figaro and Wozzeck.

Right now just Wozzeck. Can't miss an opportunity to see it (again that is, Dallas Opera in 2002, but I expect a better production this time).
I'll keep you informed on the dates for that, if it matches up we could always meet up again.