What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

Quote from: MishaK on May 22, 2015, 06:14:26 AM
Tomorrow!!!

Debussy Syrinx
Ravel Piano Concerto in G Major
Messiaen Turangalîla-symphonie

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Esa-Pekka Salonen conductor 
Samuel Coles flute 
Jean-Yves Thibaudet piano 
Valérie Hartmann-Claverie ondes martenot
Well?!  ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 07, 2015, 07:24:14 AM
Right now just Wozzeck. Can't miss an opportunity to see it (again that is, Dallas Opera in 2002, but I expect a better production this time).
I'll keep you informed on the dates for that, if it matches up we could always meet up again.

OK, keep in touch, it would be fun to meet again. I'm also working out my CSO schedule for this season in the next few weeks.

Quote from: jochanaan on July 07, 2015, 07:25:37 AM
Well?!  ;D

It was great! (I was there too)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

MishaK

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 07, 2015, 07:37:50 AM
It was great! (I was there too)

+1

The ondeniste played from memory! (I suppose with 30+ years experience she might as well have learned the entire ondes repertoire from memory at this point ;-) ) Thibaudet was fantastic in the concerto as well.

jochanaan

Quote from: MishaK on July 07, 2015, 07:46:35 AM
+1

The ondeniste played from memory! (I suppose with 30+ years experience she might as well have learned the entire ondes repertoire from memory at this point ;-) ) Thibaudet was fantastic in the concerto as well.
;D ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

bhodges

Another fascinating Hamelin evening coming up. (Noting all the Liszt that's been floating around here lately!)

International Keyboard Institute and Festival
July 19
Kaye Playhouse, Hunter College, New York

Marc-André Hamelin

Liszt: Apparition No. 1 in F-sharp major. S. 155
Liszt: Waldesrauschen, S. 145
Liszt: Un Sospiro, S. 144
Liszt: "Ernani" de Verdi - Première paraphrase de concert, S. 431a
Liszt: Réminiscences de Norma, S. 394
---
Yehudi Wyner: Toward the Center (1988)
Chopin: Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor, Op. 35

--Bruce

ritter

I finally pulled the trigger, and am off to see Verdi's Don Carlo "on location" in El Escorial tomorrow evening. It's staged by Albert Boadella, a highly regarded Spanish director for whom this will be his first foray into opera, an conducted by Maximiniano Valdés. Reviews of the opening night (on Saturday) were positive...

Brian

Confirmed for this bonanza of awesome in Montreal!!

AUGUST 7
Concert #1
Mendelssohn - Preludes & Fugues
Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin
Liszt - Tarantella, from Venezia e Napoli
Benjamin Grosvenor, piano

Concert #2
Shostakovich - Suite No. 1 for Variety Orchestra
Zappa - Envelopes
Barber - Violin Concerto
James Ehnes, violin
Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal, Kent Nagano

AUGUST 8
Concert #1
Dominique Lafortune - Un canard de Brôme qui avait voulu jouer au cygne (new work, OSM commission)
Tchaikovsky - Suite from Swan Lake

Concert #2
JS Bach - Violin Concerto in A minor
Respighi - Pines of Rome
Shunske Sato, violin

There were 4-5 other super tempting concerts - like Nikolai Lugansky playing Schubert - but one must eat and sight-see at some point!

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2015, 08:39:59 AM
Confirmed for this bonanza of awesome in Montreal!!

AUGUST 7
Concert #1
Mendelssohn - Preludes & Fugues
Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin
Liszt - Tarantella, from Venezia e Napoli
Benjamin Grosvenor, piano

Concert #2
Shostakovich - Suite No. 1 for Variety Orchestra
Zappa - Envelopes
Barber - Violin Concerto
James Ehnes, violin

AUGUST 8
Concert #1
Dominique Lafortune - Un canard de Brôme qui avait voulu jouer au cygne (new work, OSM commission)
Tchaikovsky - Suite from Swan Lake

Concert #2
JS Bach - Violin Concerto in A minor
Respighi - Pines of Rome
Shunske Sato, violin

There were 4-5 other super tempting concerts - like Nikolai Lugansky playing Schubert - but one must eat and sight-see at some point!

This looks like an excellent few days - a nice mix of the old, not-so-old, and the new. (Don't know Lafortune's music at all.)

--Bruce

TheGSMoeller

Tonight and tomorrow night, two in a row! The Grant Park Symphony in Chicago...

vandermolen

Later this month I am going to hear Barber's Essay No.2 and Shostakovich's Symphony 10 at the Proms in London. Never heard the Barber live before - it is like a mini symphony in itself.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Taking Kimi to a recital by the Chinese American pianist Haotian Zhang tomorrow night. Kimi is really looking forward to it!

Not sure about the program but I know Liszt's Don Juan Paraphrase is one of the pieces. 
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Tomorrow:

Grant Park Orchestra
Grant Park Chorus
Carlos Kalmar, conductor

Haydn: Mass in B-flat Major, Harmoniemesse
Adams: Harmonielehre

Forget the silliness of pairing these works because they both have Harmonie in the title. This should be a good one. I'll have another chance to hear Harmonielehre in November when the CSO does it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: springrite on August 05, 2015, 07:52:05 PM
Taking Kimi to a recital by the Chinese American pianist Haotian Zhang tomorrow night. Kimi is really looking forward to it!

Not sure about the program but I know Liszt's Don Juan Paraphrase is one of the pieces. 

Kimi rawks!  How'd she like it?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 07, 2015, 11:25:37 AM
Tomorrow:

Grant Park Orchestra
Grant Park Chorus
Carlos Kalmar, conductor

Haydn: Mass in B-flat Major, Harmoniemesse
Adams: Harmonielehre

Forget the silliness of pairing these works because they both have Harmonie in the title. This should be a good one. I'll have another chance to hear Harmonielehre in November when the CSO does it.

And it was a good one. A review:

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2015/08/music-of-adams-and-haydn-make-a-lakefront-summer-highlight/

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on August 07, 2015, 11:29:54 AM
Kimi rawks!  How'd she like it?

She especially loved Don Juan Paraphrase. "This is so good! I love it! He played it almost as good as I would play it when I grow up!"
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 09, 2015, 08:54:31 AM
And it was a good one. A review:

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2015/08/music-of-adams-and-haydn-make-a-lakefront-summer-highlight/

Thanks for the link!
Not bad for one full rehearsal and the dress rehearsal, in which in the dress they didn't even get a chance to run through the Adams completely.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 09, 2015, 09:42:12 AM
Not bad for one full rehearsal and the dress rehearsal, in which in the dress they didn't even get a chance to run through the Adams completely.

Funny, but we were talking about this on the way home, i.e. how much rehearsal time do they get for complex contemporary scores? This one is pretty well known, so I'm sure some of them had played it before. But the result was still really impressive.

Also impressive was the huge crowd on the lawn. Kalmar's doing some great things at Grant Park, both in terms of performance and programming, and proving that unusual and modern works can bring out the audience. (It helps, of course, that it's free.)

knight66

I was just this weekend at an opening concert for the Edinburgh Festival; it included Adams Harmonium; what a piece of twatting. Last night, Chilly Gonzalas, jazz and rap with a string quartet, exhilarating.

I am now going on holiday for ten days, but when we return there will be Max Richter in concert, Rite of Spring and Bartok, Missa Solemnis, Grande Messe des Morte and Magic Flute; all exciting prospects.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 09, 2015, 10:01:16 AM
Funny, but we were talking about this on the way home, i.e. how much rehearsal time do they get for complex contemporary scores? This one is pretty well known, so I'm sure some of them had played it before. But the result was still really impressive.

Also impressive was the huge crowd on the lawn. Kalmar's doing some great things at Grant Park, both in terms of performance and programming, and proving that unusual and modern works can bring out the audience. (It helps, of course, that it's free.)

Harmonielehre is probably my favorite Adams work. I bet this Kalmar performance of Harmonielehre was quite good. He's a pretty impressive conductor. I only wish he would release more recordings with the Grant Park Orchestra, especially for people like me who can't make the trip to see them in concert. 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 09, 2015, 10:01:16 AM

The GPO get two to three rehearsals in, but what's interesting is that they are preparing for two concerts each week with some Tuesday's spent rehearsing two different concerts with two different conductors.

The Adams seems to be more of a counting challenge than anything else. I took a pic of the opening page for trombone...