What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obradovic

19 OCT at Athens Megaron

A. Schoenberg: Kammersinfonie No.1 op.9
G. Mahler: Kindertotenlieder
A. Dvořák: Symphony No.9 in E min. op.95 'From the New World'

Aris Argyris, baritone
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
Zubin Mehta

Christo

La Scala, Milan, November 6: Wozzeck, Alban Berg. Chorus and Orchestra of the Teatro alla Scala  & Treble Voices Chorus of the Teatro alla Scala Academy, conductor Ingo Metzmacher (I don't care that much for the star soloists :-))
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

bhodges

Quote from: Christo on October 04, 2015, 01:24:31 AM
La Scala, Milan, November 6: Wozzeck, Alban Berg. Chorus and Orchestra of the Teatro alla Scala  & Treble Voices Chorus of the Teatro alla Scala Academy, conductor Ingo Metzmacher (I don't care that much for the star soloists :-))

Soloists aside for the moment, I love Metzmacher's recording. Hope the performance is good.

[asin]B00001SVLT[/asin]

Tonight looking forward to the final of four concerts by the Momenta Quartet - the first three were terrific, AND...they partnered with a local brewery, which offered free beer, a different kind each night.  8) On tonight's concert, the quartet by Arthur Kampela (on their new recording) is reportedly so difficult that it took the group two years to learn it.

OCTOBER 4, 2015: All Blade
Stephanie Griffin, curator
Guest flutist/composer: Wilfrido Terrazas (Mexico)
Guest pianist/composer: Gordon Beeferman (USA)

Borey Shin: Trio for Bass Flute, Viola and Cello (2014) NYC PREMIERE
Wilfrido Terrazas: The Life in My Viola (2014) US PREMIERE
Gordon Beeferman: Tunnel Visions (2015) WORLD PREMIERE
Yusef Lateef: String Quartet no. 3 (2013) WORLD PREMIERE
(No composer): Viola / Flute Improvisation
Arthur Kampela: Uma Faca Só Lâmina ('A Knife All Blade,' 1998)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brewski on October 04, 2015, 12:46:22 PM
Soloists aside for the moment, I love Metzmacher's recording. Hope the performance is good.

[asin]B00001SVLT[/asin]

I agree, fantastic recording. I'm in the process of booking flight/concert tickets for Lyric Opera of Chicago's production of Wozzeck in November with Andrew Davis conducting.

Drasko

On Friday, the first concert in my Belgrade Phil. subscription series for this season.

C. М. von Weber: Der Freischütz, overture
Ј. N. Hummel: Trumpet Concerto
Ј. Brahms/A. Schönberg: Piano Quartet Op. 25, orchestral arrangement

Tine Thing Helseth, trumpet
Belgrade Philharmonic
Marc Piollet, conducting

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 04, 2015, 05:08:07 PM
I'm in the process of booking flight/concert tickets for Lyric Opera of Chicago's production of Wozzeck in November with Andrew Davis conducting.

I'm still considering that one. Meanwhile I have tickets for Figaro on Oct. 18. I'm intrigued because of the reviews I've read, one was very positive and the other hugely negative:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/vonrhein/ct-classical-lyric-figaro-review-ent-0928-20150927-column.html

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2015/09/pleasures-are-few-in-lyric-operas-garish-charmless-figaro/
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

MishaK

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on October 05, 2015, 08:23:59 AM
I'm still considering that one. Meanwhile I have tickets for Figaro on Oct. 18. I'm intrigued because of the reviews I've read, one was very positive and the other hugely negative:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/vonrhein/ct-classical-lyric-figaro-review-ent-0928-20150927-column.html

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2015/09/pleasures-are-few-in-lyric-operas-garish-charmless-figaro/

Neither von Rhein* nor Johnson are reliable reporters on these things. Make up your own mind! ;-)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: MishaK on October 06, 2015, 11:49:07 AM
Neither von Rhein* nor Johnson are reliable reporters on these things. Make up your own mind! ;-)

I figure I can tolerate crazy staging as long as the music is done well.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

NikF

Not until November, but we'll be through in Glasgow for -
Liszt: Les Préludes, symphonic poem no. 3, S 97   
Poulenc:   Organ concerto in G minor   
Saint-Saëns: Symphony no. 3 in C minor
Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Jun Märkl
Organ/Thierry Escaich
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Brian

Quote from: Brian on September 01, 2015, 07:29:46 PM
IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR ALL READERS, BUT ESPECIALLY NEW-YORK-BASED ONES

I am going to be in New York on Wednesday, February 10, and will leave the morning of Thursday, February 11.

The NY Philharmonic is having an open rehearsal of Mahler's Sixth on Thursday, the 11th, at 9:45 a.m., with conductor Semyon Bychkov. They perform the Sixth in concert that night, but the open rehearsal is a "working rehearsal."

I have never heard Mahler's Sixth before.

Should I go to the rehearsal and fly home after lunch? Or will seeing a rehearsal as my first encounter with the work be a bad idea?

Hey New Yorkers!! Another question.

I might be able to stay through that weekend (Feb. 10-14) and make a real trip of it. So:
1. Anybody want to go see Mahler's Sixth the night of Thurs., Feb. 11? Possibly Friday or Saturday night but I might have to make arrangements with my travel companions. (Not sure yet.)
2. What are some good chamber music or alternative music calendars to look at for other weekend possibilities? I already checked the calendars at the 92nd Street Y and Juilliard.

bhodges

(Just sent you a message...)

Depending on what you're interested in, you might check out calendars for Merkin Concert Hall (near Lincoln Center), Austrian Cultural Forum, and these in Brooklyn:

Roulette
Issue Project Room
National Sawdust (new venue)
The Firehouse

Some presenters probably won't have February schedules in place for another month or two - so good to check back say, in early January. (Many of these won't sell out, anyway, so you shouldn't have problems getting tickets.)

--Bruce

lisa needs braces

Mahler's 3rd with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center in about a month! Bought my ticket yesterday!

Ever since going to the kennedy center here and there over the years they always call me up at the beginning of a season to sell me a season pass or some such which is beyond my means. I've oscillated between being mildly annoyed at such calls to mildly appreciative as they remind me that Kennedy Center continues to exist and the NSO features decent performances there every year. When they mentioned Mahler this time, i was sold!

Florestan

None. This year´s season in Bucharest is a disaster, probably the dullest I´ve ever witnessed. Not a single interesting concert, not a single exciting guest, be it conductor, soloist or singer --- neither with the Bucharest PO, nor with the Bucharest RSO, nor with the Bucharest Opera Company. The spectacular Enescu Festival was like a splendid fireworks illuminating at night a baren, desolated landscape: when it´s over, cold and darkness reigns supreme again.

It breaks my heart to think that there was a time when Bucharest was one of the brightest spots on Europe´s musical map. For instance, have a look at who played, or conducted, in Bucharest in the ´30s of the last century.

1930: Arthur Rubinstein (15, 17 Ianuarie), Marcelle Meyer (19 Ianuarie), Paul Robeson (20 Ianuarie), Casimir Wilkomirski (9 Februarie), Igor Stravinski (12, 17 Februarie), Erich Kleiber (6, 9 Martie), Ernst Kunwald (6, 13 Aprilie), Claudio Arrau (30 Martie), Lubka Kolessa (6, 9 Aprilie), Arnold Földesy (13 Aprilie), Joseph Szigeti (27, 30 Aprilie), Boleslav Jirák (4 Mai), Tito Schipa (11 Noiembrie), Gaspar Cassado (16, 19 Noiembrie), Nathan Milstein (18, 22 Noiembrie), Jacques Thibaud, Alfred Cortot (21, 24 Noiembrie), Georg Kulenkampff (23 Noiembrie), Bronisław Huberman (6 Decembrie), Emil von Sauer (7, 10 Decembrie), Karl Elmendorff (14, 21 Decembrie), Ernő Dohnányi (19 Decembrie).

1931: Anna-Maria Guglielmetti (16 Ianuarie), Váša Příhoda (20 Ianuarie), Lotte Lehman (28 Ianuarie), Marcelle Meyer (1 Februarie), Felix Galimir (7 Februarie), Frederic Lamond (13, 15 Februarie), Jeanne-Marie Darré (16 Februarie), Alma Moodie (22, 26 Februarie), Claudio Arrau (1 Martie, 22 Noiembrie), Ninon Valin (6 Martie), Leopold Muenzer (15, 22 Martie), Wilhelm Backhaus (24, 29 Martie), Serghei Prokofiev (25, 27 Martie), Alice Viardot-Garcia (30 Martie), Clemens Krauss (5 Aprilie), Robert Casadesus (1, 4 Noiembrie), Karl Elmendorff (29 Noiembrie, 6 Decembrie), Adele Kern (13, 15 Decembrie), Robert Shilton (18 Decembrie).

1935: Váša Příhoda (15 Ianuarie), Bernardino Molinari (25 Ianuarie), Adele Kern (11 Februarie), Carmen Studer-Weingartner (22 Februarie), Elisabeth Schumann (3 Aprilie), Gaspar Cassado (5 Aprilie, 7 Noiembrie), Erika Morini (5, 13 Octombrie), Kedroff Quartet (15, 19 Octombrie), Henryk Szeryng (24 Octombrie), Gregor Piatigorsky (28 Octombrie, 1 Noiembrie), Wilhelm Kempff (31 Octombrie, 3 Noiembrie), Claudio Arrau (14 Noiembrie), Wanda Luzzato (21 Noiembrie), Nathan Milstein (24 Noiembrie), Alfred Cortot (28, 30 Noiembrie), Rudolf Serkin (5 Decembrie), Adolf Busch (12, 15 Decembrie), Ornella Puliti Santoliquido (19 Decembrie).

1937: Arthur Rubinstein (15, 19, 22 Ianuarie, 11, 13, 16 Decembrie), Zino Francescatti (20 Februarie), Clemens Krauss (27 Februarie), Jacques Thibaud (7, 9 Martie), Ricardo Odnoposoff (19 Martie), Alexander Uninsky (2 Aprilie), Jodler Sextett (17 Aprilie), Vittorio Gui (23 Aprilie), Irena Dubiska (30 Aprilie), Berliner Philharmoniker, Hermann Abendroth (22, 23 Mai), Nathan Milstein, Paul Breisach (11 Octombrie), Karel Šejna, Pia Igy (28 Octombrie), Bronislaw Hubermann (9, 13 Noiembrie), Pierre Fournier (19, 22 Noiembrie), Alexander Brailowsky (20, 23 Noiembrie), Bernardino Molinari, Ornella Puliti Santoliquido (26 Noiembrie), Wilhelm Kempff (17, 20 Decembrie).

1938: Germaine Leroux (13 Ianuarie), Emil von Sauer (17, 19 Ianuarie), Erik Then-Bergh (20 Ianuarie), Albert Coates, Vera de Villiers (26 Ianuarie), Adolf Steiner (10 Februarie), T. B. Lawrence & Fleet Street Chorus (14 Februarie), Antonio Janigro (17 Februarie), Václav Talich (24 Februarie), Leopold Wininger & Wiener Sängerknaben (28 Februarie), Yvonne Lefébure (3 Martie), Imre Ungár (10, 12 Martie), Hans von Benda & Berliner Philharmoniker (17, 19 Martie), Wilhelm Kempff (24, 26 Martie), Ginette Neveu (31 Martie), Wilhelm Backhaus (7, 9 Aprilie), Oswald Kabasta (14 Aprilie), Franz Konwitschny, Frankfurt Opera (2 Mai, 7 Noiembrie), Albert Wolff (5 Mai), Claudio Arrau (26 Octombrie), Toti dal Monte (6, 9 Noiembrie), Annie Fischer (10 Noiembrie), Pablo Casals (19 Noiembrie), Gioconda de Vito (24 Noiembrie), Pia Igy (1 Decembrie), Jacques Thibaud (7 Decembrie), Alfred Hoehn (8 Decembrie).

Today we have Marin Panteleyev, Juan Barahona and Akiko Kamata...

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

bhodges

Next week, three concerts with Andris Nelsons and the Boston Symphony Orchestra:

Oct. 20
Sebastian Currier: Divisions
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 (with Lars Vogt)
Brahms: Symphony No. 2

Oct. 21
R. Strauss: Elektra (opera in concert, starring Christine Goerke)

Oct. 22
Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky (w/mezzo-soprano Nadezhda Serdyuk and Tanglewood Festival Chorus)
Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on October 15, 2015, 07:04:01 AM
Next week, three concerts with Andris Nelsons and the Boston Symphony Orchestra:

Oct. 20
Sebastian Currier: Divisions
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 (with Lars Vogt)
Brahms: Symphony No. 2

Oct. 21
R. Strauss: Elektra (opera in concert, starring Christine Goerke)

Oct. 22
Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky (w/mezzo-soprano Nadezhda Serdyuk and Tanglewood Festival Chorus)

--Bruce

Nice to see them continuing with Jimmy's idea of the concert performance of opera!  I envy you for that concert, alone!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brewski on October 15, 2015, 07:04:01 AM

Oct. 22

--Bruce

That's A+ programming right there. Enjoy!

Karl Henning

Cannot help feeling that there was an Opportunity Missed, by not also programming Ives on the 20th.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on October 15, 2015, 07:14:41 AM
Nice to see them continuing with Jimmy's idea of the concert performance of opera!  I envy you for that concert, alone!

Yes, that one seems to be perhaps the biggest draw of the three.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 15, 2015, 07:43:08 AM
That's A+ programming right there. Enjoy!

Yes, indeed!

Quote from: karlhenning on October 15, 2015, 10:29:16 AM
Cannot help feeling that there was an Opportunity Missed, by not also programming Ives on the 20th.

I wouldn't have minded replacing either the Beethoven or the Brahms with Three Places in New England. But since our brains won't be able to cope with Sebastian Currier's piece ( 8)), Nelsons had to play it safe.  ;D

--Bruce

kishnevi

Tonight, the Jerusalem Quartet.  I posted about buying  the ticket a few weeks ago in the Purchases thread.  Actually a front row seat
Program is.
Haydn 77/1
Bartok 5
Dvorak "American"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 15, 2015, 12:46:43 PM
Tonight, the Jerusalem Quartet.  I posted about buying  the ticket a few weeks ago in the Purchases thread.  Actually a front row seat
Program is.
Haydn 77/1
Bartok 5
Dvorak "American"

Doesn't get any better than that. Have a great evening, Jeffrey.