What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 04, 2015, 05:08:07 PM
I agree, fantastic recording. I'm in the process of booking flight/concert tickets for Lyric Opera of Chicago's production of Wozzeck in November with Andrew Davis conducting.

Will be seeing The Lyric Opera of Chicago's production of Wozzeck on November 15th. Will be my second time seeing Wozzeck, first was with the Dallas Opera about 15 years ago, in a not so good hall, and I was fairly new to the work so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Here is a list of the singers and production team.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 20, 2015, 04:37:25 PM
Will be seeing The Lyric Opera of Chicago's production of Wozzeck on November 15th. Will be my second time seeing Wozzeck, first was with the Dallas Opera about 15 years ago, in a not so good hall, and I was fairly new to the work so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Here is a list of the singers and production team.

Awesome! Enjoy my friend. 8)

bhodges

Quote from: Brewski on October 15, 2015, 07:04:01 AM
Next week, three concerts with Andris Nelsons and the Boston Symphony Orchestra:

Oct. 20
Sebastian Currier: Divisions
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 (with Lars Vogt)
Brahms: Symphony No. 2

Oct. 21
R. Strauss: Elektra (opera in concert, starring Christine Goerke)

Oct. 22
Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky (w/mezzo-soprano Nadezhda Serdyuk and Tanglewood Festival Chorus)
Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances

--Bruce

Though I enjoyed the first of these much more than I anticipated - Currier's piece was quite good, and the Beethoven and Brahms produced some little surprises - but last night's Elektra was one for the ages. Excellent soloists, especially Christine Goerke, but above all, Nelsons and the BSO did incredible work with the complicated score. The ovation - quite loud, with virtually everyone in the hall standing - lasted for a good 10 minutes, at least. I haven't seen a reaction like this to a concert in awhile.

So needless to say, much looking forward to tonight's Prokofiev and Rachmaninov!

--Bruce

Brian

I just scored a free ticket to this one:

Ravel | Rapsodie espagnole
Rodrigo | Concierto de Aranjuez
Franck | Symphony in D minor

Pepe Romero, guitar
Yan-Pascal Tortelier
Dallas Symphony

Sure, it's not the most exciting or adventurous program, but
1. free
2. I saw Y-P Tortelier conduct the Franck symphony in 2010 and it was absolutely smashing.

This will be probably my third (!) or fourth (!?!) time seeing Pepe Romero do Aranjuez. Does the poor guy ever play anything else?

It's also a good reminder to buy tickets for the DSO's concert presentation of Berlioz's Damnation de Faust later in the month, led by David Zinman. That sounds really cool.

The Houston Symphony is doing Saint-Saens Concerto No. 5 "Egyptian" with Stephen Hough, coupled with 45 minutes from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, but they're doing it on Thanksgiving weekend so I can't go see it. Bastards  :(

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on October 26, 2015, 01:02:56 PM
I just scored a free ticket to this one:

Ravel | Rapsodie espagnole
Rodrigo | Concierto de Aranjuez
Franck | Symphony in D minor

Pepe Romero, guitar
Yan-Pascal Tortelier
Dallas Symphony

Sure, it's not the most exciting or adventurous program, but
1. free
2. I saw Y-P Tortelier conduct the Franck symphony in 2010 and it was absolutely smashing.

This will be probably my third (!) or fourth (!?!) time seeing Pepe Romero do Aranjuez. Does the poor guy ever play anything else?

It's also a good reminder to buy tickets for the DSO's concert presentation of Berlioz's Damnation de Faust later in the month, led by David Zinman. That sounds really cool.

The Houston Symphony is doing Saint-Saens Concerto No. 5 "Egyptian" with Stephen Hough, coupled with 45 minutes from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, but they're doing it on Thanksgiving weekend so I can't go see it. Bastards  :(

I saw Hough perform Liszt PC1, absolutely hairaising. Dynamite.
Go see him, Brian!

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 26, 2015, 05:47:35 PM
I saw Hough perform Liszt PC1, absolutely hairaising. Dynamite.
Go see him, Brian!
I'd have to ditch my family for the weekend to drive 200 miles...worth it?  ;D ;D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on October 26, 2015, 05:52:42 PM
I'd have to ditch my family for the weekend to drive 200 miles...worth it?  ;D ;D

I've never met your family, but it all depends on their cooking abilities.   ;D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

Seeing Yo Yo Ma this Saturday and a Steven Lin solo recital the following Saturday.  Big week for me :D
It's all good...

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 26, 2015, 05:58:47 PM
I've never met your family, but it all depends on their cooking abilities.   ;D
In that case, decisively NOT worth it!

Last year we had 8 kinds of delicious dessert food to split between 5 people!

North Star

Quote from: Brian on October 27, 2015, 04:40:34 AM
In that case, decisively NOT worth it!

Last year we had 8 kinds of delicious dessert food to split between 5 people!
That sounds horrendous! 8 is not divisible by 5!  :o  0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on October 27, 2015, 05:00:17 AM
That sounds horrendous! 8 is not divisible by 5!  :o 0:)

From the forthcoming book, Paleo Problems  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Ordered some tickets for a November 22 concert conducted by Stanisław Skrowaczewski.  On the program, Lutoslawki's Concerto for Orchestra, Mozart's 27th PC, and Brahms' 3rd.  I figure I probably won't get too many chances to hear Skrowaczewski in person, so I'm going for it. 

Also ordered my ticket for Benjamin Grosvenor playing Chopin's PC 1.  The concert also has Honegger's Rugby and Dvorak's 6th.  I made sure to pick the Monday show in case I want to hear the Jerusalem Quartet play all of Bartok's quartets.  Thing is, doing that would result in five shows in six nights.  I do love live music, but that might be too much.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 28, 2015, 09:52:08 AM
What a great way to overdo things, though.
Yes indeed. And it's a bit like eating unhealthily - the effect of each occasion will linger.  :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Quote from: Todd on October 28, 2015, 09:47:21 AM
Ordered some tickets for a November 22 concert conducted by Stanisław Skrowaczewski.  On the program, Lutoslawki's Concerto for Orchestra, Mozart's 27th PC, and Brahms' 3rd.  I figure I probably won't get too many chances to hear Skrowaczewski in person, so I'm going for it. 
I almost built a weekend getaway trip around that concert.

Tried to buy a bunch of Dallas Symphony tickets today but their website is broken :(

listener

Just bought for  next  April 9th Vancouver  Symphony
Wagner:  Lohengrin: Prelude Act III,  Brahms (orch. Berio):  Clarinet Sonata No.1 in F minor    Beethoven (arr. Mahler):  Symphony No. 9 in D minor
The  Brahms/Berio is to me the more interesting, the Beethoven a rare curiosity.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Drasko

on Wednesday:

Ravel - Ma Mere l'Oye
Boulez - Structures, book II
Messiaen - Visions de l'Amen

Pierre-Laurent Aimard / Tamara Stefanovic (piano duo)

bhodges

Quote from: Todd on October 28, 2015, 09:47:21 AM

Also ordered my ticket for Benjamin Grosvenor playing Chopin's PC 1.  The concert also has Honegger's Rugby and Dvorak's 6th.  I made sure to pick the Monday show in case I want to hear the Jerusalem Quartet play all of Bartok's quartets.  Thing is, doing that would result in five shows in six nights.  I do love live music, but that might be too much.

I vote for overdoing it, especially with programs of this caliber. The Jerusalem show sounds fantastic.

Quote from: listener on October 29, 2015, 01:48:51 AM
Just bought for  next  April 9th Vancouver  Symphony
Wagner:  Lohengrin: Prelude Act III,  Brahms (orch. Berio):  Clarinet Sonata No.1 in F minor    Beethoven (arr. Mahler):  Symphony No. 9 in D minor
The  Brahms/Berio is to me the more interesting, the Beethoven a rare curiosity.

The Brahms/Berio is definitely something I'd want to hear, too - with the Beethoven not far behind. (I don't recall seeing Mahler's arrangement on a concert anywhere here.) Do report back!

Quote from: Draško on October 29, 2015, 02:36:16 PM
on Wednesday:

Ravel - Ma Mere l'Oye
Boulez - Structures, book II
Messiaen - Visions de l'Amen

Pierre-Laurent Aimard / Tamara Stefanovic (piano duo)

Potential blockbuster! I heard them last year in a different program, including the Boulez. Would love to hear them in the Messiaen, especially, which could be extraordinary.

--Bruce