What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chronochromie

Quote from: North Star on January 09, 2016, 01:31:50 PM
Welcome, Chronochromie! Cambreling & SWR's recording of Chronochromie is indeed quite good as far as I recall. And the work is certainly beautiful.

Buenos Aires, you say? Love Piazzolla!

Oddly enough I haven't heard much by him (and I have no real interest in his music atm) except the old classics everyone knows.

Give me Ginastera any day.  8)

SimonNZ

Probably a good time to give the Boulez recording of Chronochromie another play when I get home...

Those are some amazing concerts coming up in Buenos Aires. Who will be conducting the Ligeti / Kurtag concertos?

Chronochromie

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 09, 2016, 01:43:29 PM
Probably a good time to give the Boulez recording of Chronochromie another play when I get home...

Those are some amazing concerts coming up in Buenos Aires. Who will be conducting the Ligeti / Kurtag concertos?

Pablo Rus Broseta will conduct the Ensemble Modern and the OFBA.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Wasn't Beat Furrer doing a performance of his piano concerto in Buenos Aires recently?

Chronochromie

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on January 09, 2016, 01:50:55 PM
Wasn't Beat Furrer doing a performance of his piano concerto in Buenos Aires recently?

Yes, but according to a member of TC who went, it was cancelled for whatever reason.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Chronochromie on January 09, 2016, 01:57:34 PM
Yes, but according to a member of TC who went, it was cancelled for whatever reason.
Ah yeah that's right, couldn't remember if it was that concert or another one I was thinking of which he (are we talking about the same person?) was excited about.

Chronochromie

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on January 09, 2016, 01:59:29 PM
Ah yeah that's right, couldn't remember if it was that concert or another one I was thinking of which he (are we talking about the same person?) was excited about.

Yep, aleazk.

Chronochromie

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on January 09, 2016, 02:40:07 PM
I'm trying to convince him to join GMG

Good luck with that. I come here occasionally to escape the endless modernist-traditionalist debates that made many people leave TC. Plus the composer guestbooks here are much nicer.

ritter

Just bought a ticket (they're almost sold out now) for the second of two concert perfromances (on Friday and Sunday this week ) of Wagner's Der Fliegende Holländer, with principal conductor David Afkham leading the Spanish National Orchestra and Chorus. The soloists include Bryn Terfel in the title rôle, Ricarda Merbeth as Senta, Peter Rose as Daland and Torsten Kerl as Erik.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

The Grant Park Festival schedule has been announced for Summer 2016. Some highlights:

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2016/01/grant-park-music-festival-to-offer-a-deftly-balanced-summer-season/

Looks like an awesome season! Never in 100 years did I think I'd have a chance to hear Martinu's oratorio The Epic of Gilgamesh, but they're doing it. Thank you, Carlos Kalmar!
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Brian

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 12, 2016, 10:50:18 AM
Never in 100 years did I think I'd have a chance to hear Martinu's oratorio The Epic of Gilgamesh, but they're doing it. Thank you, Carlos Kalmar!

GMG ROAD TRIP! July 1-2.

I will do my best to be there!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brian on January 12, 2016, 10:56:58 AM
GMG ROAD TRIP! July 1-2.

And it's free (the concert, that is - your plane ticket probably not).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on January 12, 2016, 10:56:58 AM
GMG ROAD TRIP! July 1-2.

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 12, 2016, 11:11:58 AM
And it's free (the concert, that is - your plane ticket probably not).

Hmmm . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

HIPster

Headed out the door to see the early music group Quicksilver tonight!  :)

http://www.sdems.org/

Quicksilver: "Fantasticus: Extravagant and Virtuosic Music from 17th-century Germany"

Led by violinists Robert Mealy and Julie Andrijeski, Quicksilver brings together some of the leading historically informed performers in America today. The chamber music of 17th century Germany reflects the upheavals of the time: from wars of religion and politics, to famine and plague, it was a time of ongoing crisis. Inspired by the experimental works of Italian composers, those writing in the "stylus Fantasticus" explored the sonata as an abstract form of wordless conversation, giving free reign to whatever their imagination suggested. Quicksilver's recording of this program was one of New Yorker's top ten CDs in 2014; come and hear it for yourself.

Music by Weckmann, Rosenmüller, Vierdanck, Bertali, Kerll, and Schmeltzer.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

jlaurson

Ionarts-at-Large: National Youth Orchestra of Germany rocks Viktor Ullmann

When I saw an e-mail with the following program advertised to go down on Thursday, January 14th, at Vienna's premiere concert venue, the Konzerthaus (not to be mistaken with its premiere musical museum, the Musikverein)—

Markus Hechtle Fresko. Eine Zuflucht ("Fresco: A refuge"). (2015, Austrian premiere)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Fantasia in C minor, K.475
Viktor Ullmann, Piano Concerto op.25
Ludwig van Beethoven, Symphony Nr.3 "Eroica"

—I reasoned that attendance would be seemly for the following reasons, in order:

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2016/01/ionarts-at-large-national-youth.html

bhodges

A quite marvelous evening last night, especially since the orchestra was in sensational shape. Hans Abrahamsen (Schnee) has written a gorgeous piece, using words from Paul Griffiths, and Barbara Hannigan is just one of the best new music singers alive. The Shostakovich was terrific: perhaps slightly restrained, but never mind, Welser-Möst and the orchestra still achieved some chilling results.

The Cleveland Orchestra
Barbara Hannigan, soprano
Franz Welser-Möst, conductor

Hans Abrahamsen: let me tell you (NY premiere)
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4

--Bruce

NikF

Got tickets for -

Dvorák Terzetto in C major
Dvorák String Quartet No12 in F major American
Franck Piano Quintet in F minor
Boris Giltburg - Piano
Members of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

I posted in this thread of how we were going to a performance of 'The Seven Stars Symphony' by Koechlin. Well, we went and it was great to hear and experience in a live setting. Not everyone felt the same way, though... http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/14207559.Music_review__BBC_SSO_Ilan_Volkov_at_City_Halls__Glasgow/
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

bhodges

Tonight at Carnegie:

Marc-André Hamelin, Piano

MOZART Piano Sonata in C Major, K. 545
BUSONI Giga, bolero e variazione (after Mozart) from An die Jugend
RAVEL Gaspard de la nuit
MARC-ANDRÉ HAMELIN Pavane Variée (NY Premiere)
LISZT Piano Sonata in B Minor

--Bruce