What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Tomorrow night, at Bargemusic, a fascinating program by this terrific group, based in Chicago.

Spektral Quartet

Hans Thomalla: Bagatellen (NY premiere)
Beat Furrer: String Quartet No. 3

--Bruce

Spineur

Frustration

I was told today that I would be lucky to get tickets for 2017 Bayreuth Season and I should rather make plans for 2018 !!!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Spineur on March 10, 2016, 08:50:08 AM
Frustration

I was told today that I would be lucky to get tickets for 2017 Bayreuth Season and I should rather make plans for 2018 !!!

If it makes you feel any better, I've always heard there is a 10-year waiting list and I never expect to get in during my lifetime.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

EigenUser

TONIGHT:

Olivier Messiaen: Turangalila-Symphonie
New York Philharmonic
Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting
Yuja Wang on solo piano
Valerie Hartmann-Claverie on ondes-Martinot

This will be my second time in less than a year seeing this piece performed live. It is also being done in the Fall at Carnegie Hall and I plan to see that, too.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ritter

Quote from: Spineur on March 10, 2016, 08:50:08 AM
Frustration

There's always the "direct sale" on the internet starting sometime in February, usually. And you should check the site every now and then, as tickets "resurface" without prior notice. I was lucky enough to get a complete Ring for my two children and myself in 2014, and I know of a fellow GMGer who got to see Tristan this last summer that way.

And then, there's the odd chance of getting last-minute tickets at the box-office the same day of the performance. I got to see the Herheim Parsifal staging in its last year (2012), conducted by Philippe Jordan, that way. I showed up at 12:45 (I happened to be in the area for business  ;)), there were three people queuing in front of me, and I got the fourth of five tickets they sold when the box-office opened at 1 pm. At 4 pm I was in my seat in the stalls, to witness an absolute marvel of a performance.

Of course, 2017 is a very special year, as only the "big" works are being given: last outing for the Frank Castorf Ring, the  Parsifal that will be premiered this summer (i.e. 2016), Katharina Wagner's Tristan and a new Meistersinger from Barry Kosky...

THREAD DUTY:
Just bought a ticket for a matinee concert tomorrow by the Spanish National Orchestra here in Madrid : Juanjo Mena conducts Alberto Ginastera's Violin concerto (soloist: Michael Barenboim) and Beethoven's Seventh symphony... Really looking forward to hear the infrequent Ginastera piece live  :) :) :) :)

Todd

Portland Piano International published its 2016/2017 season, though only in the concert brochures for this weekend's recitals by Joseph Moog and not online, and Nelson Goerner is coming in December and Paavali Jumppanen is coming in May of 2017.  Can't wait for those.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

bhodges

This afternoon, fresh after a terrific performance of Messiaen's Turangalîla-symphonie with Salonen and the NY Philharmonic, something quite different (fortunately):

Apple Hill String Quartet
Purcell: Three Fantasias (1680)
Glass: String Quartet No. 4, "Buczak" (1989)
Pavel Haas: String Quartet No. 2, "From the Monkey Mountains" (1925)

The Haas was a revelation. Why it isn't performed more often - a mystery. But the group itself is excellent: more evidence that we live in a great time for string quartets.

--Bruce

EigenUser

Quote from: Brewski on March 13, 2016, 01:45:48 PM
This afternoon, fresh after a terrific performance of Messiaen's Turangalîla-symphonie with Salonen and the NY Philharmonic, something quite different (fortunately):

Apple Hill String Quartet
Purcell: Three Fantasias (1680)
Glass: String Quartet No. 4, "Buczak" (1989)
Pavel Haas: String Quartet No. 2, "From the Monkey Mountains" (1925)

The Haas was a revelation. Why it isn't performed more often - a mystery. But the group itself is excellent: more evidence that we live in a great time for string quartets.

--Bruce

Do you like Glass, Bruce? I don't think we've ever discussed him before. I haven't had a moment with his music yet (I prefer Reich, I guess), but I return to it from time to time.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

bhodges

I'm generally not much of a Glass-ite, but in the last few years I've heard a good sampling of his chamber music, and have enjoyed it, as well as some of his piano etudes. (I also much prefer Reich.) This quartet was written in memory of the artist Brian Buczak, and was quite moving.

(But still have the "Joie du Sang des Étoiles" racing in my head from Turangalîla- also the "Statue theme," with that outstanding work from the NY Philharmonic brass.  8))

--Bruce

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Todd on March 13, 2016, 07:32:19 AM
Portland Piano International published its 2016/2017 season, though only in the concert brochures for this weekend's recitals by Joseph Moog and not online, and Nelson Goerner is coming in December and Paavali Jumppanen is coming in May of 2017.  Can't wait for those.

Todd, as an Oregonian, are you familiar with the name Mark Westcott? He was a pianist who was in my class at Oberlin and who is still resident in his native Portland, and he has had an interesting and in some ways very unfortunate career. I started a thread on him a couple of years ago that aroused no interest:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,16838.msg433280.html#msg433280

He also wrote a memoir called "Playing with Love" that I would call total self-serving drivel, but there you are.

Todd

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 13, 2016, 02:58:14 PMTodd, as an Oregonian, are you familiar with the name Mark Westcott?

I will confess that I am not.  I may have to investigate him after reading your other thread.

(On a very tangentially related note, it is technically possible to hear the acoustics of the great room of my home in a few piano recordings that were made before I owned it.  They are new age piano recordings, and the former homeowner goes by the name ''Chip'', so they are not worth hearing - the two facts are related.  And yes, I actually did hear one.  Trust me on this one.)

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Christo

One local Johannes Passion and an Amsterdam Matthäus Passion - next week. Out of dozens of options again, this year.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

bhodges

An unexpectedly great evening from Gustavo Dudamel and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. The fantastic pianist in the Ginastera was Sergio Tiempo, an Argerich protege.

John Williams: Soundings (2003, New York premiere)
Ginastera: Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 28 (1961)
Andrew Norman: Play: Level 1 (2013, New York premiere)
Copland: Appalachian Spring Suite (1943-44)

Encore:
Bernard Herrmann:  "Scène d'amour" from Vertigo

--Bruce

NikF

I'm hoping we'll be in Glasgow so I can attend this -

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Archaic Torso of Apollo

April 2. Never heard this one live, really looking forward to it:

Music of the Baroque
Jane Glover, conductor
Monteverdi: Vespers of 1610

Conveniently taking place in a church in Northbrook (a suburb), quite close to me.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Bogey

Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band – featuring Todd Rundgren, Gregg Rolie, Steve Lukather, Richard Page, Warren Ham and Gregg Bissonette – announce another string of North American shows.

June 28, in Denver at the Paramount Theater.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

(poco) Sforzando

Tomorrow, Louis Andriessen's De Materie in New York. It will a busy week in Sforzandoland, as on Friday and Saturday I will be hearing parts of Stockhausen's Klang at the three branches of the Metropolitan Museum, and I've got local theater on Long Island this Thursday and a play in the city with Robert Sean Leonard on Easter Sunday. Four trips to the city in one week - I think that's a personal record.

king ubu

bought tickets for these, all at Zurich Tonhalle:

SO 17.04.16
EINGESPIELT
19:30 - ca. 22:00 Uhr, Kleiner Saal
Kammermusik-Soiree

Isabelle Faust Violine
Jean-Guihen Queyras Violoncello
Alexander Melnikov Klavier

Robert Schumann: Klaviertrio Nr. 1 d-Moll op. 63
Salvatore Sciarrino: Trio Nr. 2 (1987)
César Franck: Trio concertant fis-Moll op. 1 Nr. 1

MO 09.05.16
19:30 - ca. 22:00 Uhr, Grosser Saal
Neue Konzertreihe Zürich

Chamber Orchestra of Europe
Vladimir Jurowski Leitung
Patricia Kopatchinskaja Violine

Mieczyslaw Weinberg: Sinfonie Nr. 10 a-Moll op. 98 "Transcendence" für Streicher
Sergej Prokofjew: Violinkonzert Nr. 2 g-Moll op. 63
Ludwig van Beethoven: Sinfonie Nr. 7 A-Dur op. 92

SO 12.06.16
L'ÊTAT C'EST MOI - FRANKREICH ZUR ZEIT DES SONNENKÖNIGS
11:15 - ca. 13:30 Uhr, Kleiner Saal
Kammermusik-Matinee

Annette Labusch Sopran
Esther Pitschen Amekhchoune Flöte
Noémie Rufer Zumstein Violine
Cornelia Angerhofer Violine
Andreas Sami Violoncello
Margarete Kopelent Cembalo
Emanuele Forni Laute

Michel Pignolet de Montéclair: "La Mort de Didon"
François Couperin: "La Françoise" Triosonate aus "Les Nations"
Michel Pignolet de Montéclair: "Europe"

excited about all three, but most about finally catching PatKop in concert ... also considering this here:

DI 19.04.16
FAZIL SAY
19:30 Uhr, Grosser Saal

Fazil Say Klavier

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Klaviersonate Nr. 12 F-Dur KV 332
Klaviersonate Nr. 18 D-Dur KV 576
Frédéric Chopin
Nocturne b-Moll op. 9 Nr. 1
Nocturne Es-Dur op. 9 Nr. 2
Nocturne H-Dur op. 9 Nr. 3
Nocturne Nr. 20 cis-Moll op. posthum
Nocturne fis-Moll op. 48 Nr. 2
Nocturne g-Moll op. 37 Nr. 1
Nocturne H-Dur op. 32 Nr. 1
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Obradovic

3 concerts in 4 days at the Athens Megaron. Αs in the good old days...

1 APR
A. Ginastera: Estancia op.8-Suite
G. Gershwin: Rhapsody in blue
S. Revueltas: Sensemayá
L. Bernstein: West Side Story-Symphonic Dances

ATHENS STATE ORCHESTRA
MILTOS LOGIADIS

3 APR
H. Dutilleux:Métaboles
B. Bartok: Violin Concerto No.1
L.v. Beethoven: Symphony No.5 in C min. op.67
&
4 APR (a program=bet for diasaster regarding the attention)
G. Ligeti: Lontano
B. Bartok: Violin Concerto No.2
                 Music for strings, percussion and celesta

Frank Peter Zimmermann, violin
GUSTAV MAHLER JUGENDORCHESTER
DAVID AFKHAM

Brian

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 21, 2016, 07:05:24 PM
Tomorrow, Louis Andriessen's De Materie in New York. It will a busy week in Sforzandoland, as on Friday and Saturday I will be hearing parts of Stockhausen's Klang at the three branches of the Metropolitan Museum, and I've got local theater on Long Island this Thursday and a play in the city with Robert Sean Leonard on Easter Sunday. Four trips to the city in one week - I think that's a personal record.
So, how were the sheep?