What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Went to the Amsterdam Concertgebouw last night (for the first time, this year; my kids joining and they were about the only kids in the audience  ;)).  The Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra (NPO) under Marc Albrecht joined by soloist Gordan Nikolić in a delightful (even my kids enjoying it) performance of:

Ravel - Tzigane, rapsodie de concert
Saint-Saëns - Introduction et rondo capriccioso
Dutilleux - Métaboles
Bizet - Both 'L'Arlésienne' Suites
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

The new erato

En route to this evenings concert with Jordi Savall I took some pictures walking through Bergen centre:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on May 29, 2016, 01:04:04 PM
En route to this evenings concert with Jordi Savall I took some pictures walking through Bergen centre:

Beautiful. For a large city, it certainly has a small-town atmosphere...at least according to these fine shots.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

HIPster

Very nice new erato!

Great shots - how was the concert?   ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

The new erato

Very interesting, burt perhaps not great; Jordi Savall alone in a small theatre playing an assortment of pieces for solo gamba:

«Invocation»
KARL FRIEDRICH ABEL (1723–1787) 
Prélude in d minor
JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH (1685–1750) 
Allemande in d minor (BWV 1011)
JOHANNES SCHENCK (1660–ca.1712) 
Aria Burlesca

«Les Rêgrets»
Mr de SAINTE-COLOMBE, le fils (fl.1700) 
Fantaisie en Rondeau
Mr de SAINTE-COLOMBE, le père (ca.1640–ca.1700)
Les Pleurs
JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH (1685–1750) 
(& Improvisations)  Bourrée (BWV 1010)

«Les Voix Humaines»
Mr DE MACHY (fl.1665–92)
Prélude in d minor
MARIN MARAIS (1656–1728)
Les Voix Humaines (II Livre, 63)
Muzettes I – II (IV Livre, 28-29)

TOBIAS HUME (ca.1569–1645)
«Musicall Humors, 1605»
A Souldiers March
Harke, harke – Woope doe me no harme
A Souldiers Resolution

«Lessons for the Lyra-Viol»
ALFONSO FERRABOSCO (ca.1575–1628)
Coranto
THOMAS FORD (ca.1580–1648)
Why not here
JOHN PLAYFORD (1623–1686)
La Cloche-Sarabande

«The Lancashire Pipes»
ANONYMOUS (The Manchester Gamba Book, ca. 1630)
A Pointe or Preludium - The Lancashire Pipes
The Pigges of Rumsey - Kate of Bardie
The Cup of Tea (Irish traditional) - A Toye

Drasko

Picked up season tickets for Belgrade Philharmonic next season (2016/17). Decent programming I think, if bit on conservative side, they've been getting more and more conservative last couple of years, unfortunately.

Eric - ?? (Bgf commision)
Shostakovich - Cello Concerto No.2
Prokofiev - Symphony No. 3
Alexander Ramm (cello)
Michail Jurowski (con.)

Adzic - ?? (Bgf commision)
Mozart - Piano Concerto No.24
Beethoven - Symphony No.5
Stephen Kovacevich (piano)
Eiji Oue (cond.)

Bruckner - Symphony No.7
Cristian Mandeal (con.)

Mozart - Symphony No.32
Walton - Violin Concerto
Brahms - Symphony No.1
Akiko Suwanai (violin)
Daniel Raiskin (cond.)

Liszt - Prometheus
Haydn - Bassoon Concerto
Vivaldi - Bassoon Concerto
Beethoven - Prometheus (ballet)
Sergio Azzolini (basson)
Gabriel Feltz (cond.)

Szymanowski - Concert Overture
Sollima - Folk Tales for Cello and Orchestra
Smetana - Ma Vlast (excerpts)
Giovanni Sollima (cello)
Gabriel Feltz (cond.)

Mahler - Symphony No.7
John Axelrod (cond.)

Prokofiev - The Love for Three Oranges Suite
Bartok - Piano Concerto No.3
Shostakovich - The Gadfly Suite
Andrea Lucchesini (piano)
Howard Griffiths (cond.)

Webern - Passacaglia
Berg - Violin Concerto
Brahms - Symphony No.4
Itamar Zorman (violin)
Vladimir Kulenovic (cond.)

Adams - Short Ride in a Fast Machine
Nyman - Piano Concerto (arrangement for two pianos)
Debussy - Jeux
Scriabin - La Poeme de l'Extase
Sonja Loncar and Andrija Pavlovic (piano duo)
Fabrice Bollon (cond.)

PerfectWagnerite

That's a pretty impressive list of conductors and soloists as well as quite an eclectic selection of works. I see no reason for your complaint ;)

Pat B

I bought tickets to see Ingrid Fliter tomorrow night but I no longer live in that state. :-[

bhodges

Quote from: Brewski on May 26, 2016, 08:36:03 AM
Looking forward to this one, a program called "Young Americans" and part of the NY Philharmonic Biennial, now underway:

Sunday, June 5
Interlochen Arts Academy Orchestra
Christopher Rountree, conductor

Jennifer Higdon: Machine (New York Premiere)
Nico Muhly: So Far So Good (New York Premiere)
Hannah Lash: Chaconnes (World Premiere)
Ashley Fure: Bound to the Bow (World Premiere)

--Bruce

This was quite an inspiring concert, with high school-age musicians (let that sink in for a minute) playing fairly difficult pieces, including one with electronics (Ashley Fure's Bound to the Bow). Granted, these students are quite musically talented, but still, to hear them in four works composed since 2000 - three by women - was heartening, to say the least.

--Bruce

jlaurson

Latest on Forbes:

The Rebirth of Contemporary Classical Music?
The Vienna Philharmonic Plays Larcher

A balmy, sunny Sunday morning. A full house – twice now, counting the previous night –
at the venerable Musikverein's Golden Hall. The Vienna Philharmonic performs under top-tier
conductor Semyon Bychkov. And on the program – prominently, not hidden! – is a world
premiere: A living composer's work and the ink barely dry on it. Kenotaph, by Thomas
Larcher – his Second Symphony...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/06/06/the-rebirth-of-contemporary-classical-music-the-vienna-philharmonic-plays-larcher/

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Draško on June 03, 2016, 05:42:51 AM

Webern - Passacaglia
Berg - Violin Concerto
Brahms - Symphony No.4
Itamar Zorman (violin)

Interesting - this guy conducts my local (suburban) orchestra. He's pretty good. He also holds some position with the Utah Symphony, I think. I would definitely go to that concert.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

bhodges

Webern - Passacaglia
Berg - Violin Concerto
Brahms - Symphony No.4
Itamar Zorman (violin)

And echoing Archaic's post - for a different reason! In the last two years or so I have heard Itamar Zorman a number of times, both in recital and with the Israeli Chamber Project, with which he regularly performs. He is an outstanding violinist, and I would love to hear what he does with the Berg.

--Bruce

bhodges

Tonight, violinist Mari Kimura at my new favorite venue, National Sawdust. Kimura is at the forefront of music and technology, and has developed a new "wearable motion sensor," which she uses in both her own compositions and those of others. She'll be playing Kaze (The Wind), which she wrote for string quartet (with the Cassatt String Quartet) and interactive computer, and then Harmonic Constellations by Michael Harrison, for violin and computer-generated sine waves.

http://nationalsawdust.org/event/multi-in-situ-mari-kimura/

--Bruce

Florestan

Picked up season tickets for Belgrade Philharmonic next season (2016/17). Decent programming I think, if bit on conservative side, they've been getting more and more conservative last couple of years, unfortunately.

Conservative??? Such programming would be in-your-face revolutionary for the Romanian RSO in Bucharest..  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

bhodges

Quote from: Brewski on June 09, 2016, 04:38:54 AM
Tonight, violinist Mari Kimura at my new favorite venue, National Sawdust. Kimura is at the forefront of music and technology, and has developed a new "wearable motion sensor," which she uses in both her own compositions and those of others. She'll be playing Kaze (The Wind), which she wrote for string quartet (with the Cassatt String Quartet) and interactive computer, and then Harmonic Constellations by Michael Harrison, for violin and computer-generated sine waves.

http://nationalsawdust.org/event/multi-in-situ-mari-kimura/

--Bruce

Last night's concert was fascinating, and here's a tweet from Kimura, showing her motion sensor - basically a glove with a wireless connection that allows her bow movements to trigger other functions. Next week, I'm going to find out more details about exactly what the device does.

https://twitter.com/marikimura/status/738482163935498244

--Bruce

Spineur

Philarmonie de Paris; Légendes Wed. June 22nd.
Program:
    Franz Liszt
    Du berceau jusqu'à la tombe
    La Légende de sainte Cécile
    Charles Gounod
    Hymne à Sainte Cécile
    Entracte
    Charles Gounod
    Saint François d'Assise

Orchestre de chambre de Paris, Accentus, Laurence Equilbey, direction
    Karine Deshayes, mezzo-soprano
    Stanislas De Barbeyrac, ténor
    Florian Sempey, baryton
    Deborah Nemtanu, violon
    Nicolaï Maslenko, chef de chant

Charles Gounod, Saint Francois d'Assise has been rediscovered in 2011, so its virtually unknown to the public.
Similarly, Franz Liszt, Légende de Sainte Cécile has never been recorded in its original form (Its ocasianally performed on the organ)
This concert is supposed to be broadcast on Radio Classique.  Maybe on can catch this concert with their web-radio

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Next Saturday, July 2:

Grant Park Music Festival
Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus
Carlos Kalmar, conductor

Dvořák: The Golden Spinning Wheel
Martinů: The Epic of Gilgamesh
7:30 p.m. Pritzker Pavilion

As this is probably the only time in my life I get to hear Gilgamesh live, this is the one real "must-hear" concert of the summer. (It's also being done the preceding night.)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Drasko

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on June 06, 2016, 06:07:37 AM
Webern - Passacaglia
Berg - Violin Concerto
Brahms - Symphony No.4
Itamar Zorman (violin)
Interesting - this guy conducts my local (suburban) orchestra. He's pretty good. He also holds some position with the Utah Symphony, I think. I would definitely go to that concert.

Decent conductor. He's been holding here the position of resident guest conductor (or some such) for last few years so I've heard him couple of times, including a very fine Vaughan Williams Pastoral.

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on June 26, 2016, 09:00:04 AM
As this is probably the only time in my life I get to hear Gilgamesh live, this is the one real "must-hear" concert of the summer.

I had the same feeling when I got to hear live Martinu's 1st Symphony, with Prague Radio Symphony.

Drasko

Quote from: Brewski on June 08, 2016, 08:07:23 PM
And echoing Archaic's post - for a different reason! In the last two years or so I have heard Itamar Zorman a number of times, both in recital and with the Israeli Chamber Project, with which he regularly performs. He is an outstanding violinist, and I would love to hear what he does with the Berg.

--Bruce

That's great to hear, I've known nothing about him so far.

Quote from: Florestan on June 09, 2016, 08:00:46 AM
Conservative??? Such programming would be in-your-face revolutionary for the Romanian RSO in Bucharest.. 

Could be, but they used to program likes of Berio, Varese or Leifs ...

On the other hand you have the Enescu Festival, which is on another planet compared with anything that goes here currently. We haven't had a single foreign symphony orchestra play in Belgrade in last 3-4 years. To say that BEMUS (Belgrade Music Festival) which used to host the likes of VPO, Karajan or Bolshoi in the 60s and 70s is reduced to shadow of what it once was would be massive understatement, its budget is now about 45 times smaller than that of Enescu Festival, if my info is correct. :'(

Florestan

Quote from: Draško on June 26, 2016, 10:39:11 AM
On the other hand you have the Enescu Festival, which is on another planet compared with anything that goes here currently. We haven't had a single foreign symphony orchestra play in Belgrade in last 3-4 years. To say that BEMUS (Belgrade Music Festival) which used to host the likes of VPO, Karajan or Bolshoi in the 60s and 70s is reduced to shadow of what it once was would be massive understatement, its budget is now about 45 times smaller than that of Enescu Festival, if my info is correct. :'(

Yes, the Enescu Festival is great.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy