Ottevanger's Omphaloskeptic Outpost

Started by lukeottevanger, April 06, 2007, 02:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 01, 2008, 01:41:46 AM
That's interesting, because the sounds I used are exactly the same as before! What must have happened is that, the first file being a MIDI file, your computer played it with its own MIDI settings, and they didn't match mine. But the second file was an mp3 of the MIDI file as it appears on my computer, so that it sounds the same for you as for me.  Must remember to do it the mp3 way in future!

Bingo! (All I had to add just yet.  Must get it together, and pop out to catch the bus.)

karlhenning

Luke, I've e-mailed the refreshed score to Paul (perhaps you already have on your own?)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on October 01, 2008, 03:53:13 AM
Thanks, Johan! Got it!  Will read a bit later this morning.

Excellent! But - no rush...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on October 01, 2008, 04:50:01 AM
Excellent! But - no rush...

Yes; quiet space is needed for proper attention.  Now that I won't need this evening's train-ride for composition (today), I shall read your prose!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Luke, do you have a score of the Chant of Carnus? Listening to it as I write.

Later: the climax is terrific (after 10').
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Jezetha on October 01, 2008, 06:19:15 AM
Luke, do you have a score of the Chant of Carnus? Listening to it as I write.

Later: the climax is terrific (after 10').

Yes, the best bit in the recording - the orchestra can forget any pretence of trying to play the notes and just let rip!  ;D ::) ::) They also manage the second section quite well.... Other than that  :o :o :o

There's a score in my esnips folder somewhere, I think - feel free to search around for it. I can't give you a link right now, but I will later. There's a page missing from it, towards the end, I think (my absent-mindedness), but otherwise it's OK

lukeottevanger

Actually, I do have time (currently due piano pupil is ill) - but I've realised the score isn't up, as I thought it was. I will try remedy that for you. Unfortunately it comes in 4 parts, I can't remember why. Bear with me, this might take some time!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 01, 2008, 07:13:13 AM
Actually, I do have time (currently due piano pupil is ill) - but I've realised the score isn't up, as I thought it was. I will try remedy that for you. Unfortunately it comes in 4 parts, I can't remember why. Bear with me, this might take some time!

Patience is a cardinal virtue.  ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

lukeottevanger

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 01, 2008, 07:59:04 AM
Do we have a score?  ;D

Do you have ears and a profound knowledge of the repertoire?  ;)

If you could feed the clip into Sibelius so that a score came out, that would be something!

Guido

Have spent today writing up a lot of tiny fragments into sibelius - loads of little things I had forgotten about from ages ago. Reminiscing is nice!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

lukeottevanger

Ooh, exciting! Can we expect to see the founding of a new composer's settlement soon?

J.Z. Herrenberg

karlhenning

Guido

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 01, 2008, 09:59:52 AM
Ooh, exciting! Can we expect to see the founding of a new composer's settlement soon?

Possibly. I'm working on two other things at the moment, that I actually like and think might come together if I put a lot of work into them.

I'll tell you what - I'll upload all the tiny little fragments that I wrote up today, along with the few complete pieces, which I think you've already seen. Please don't expect anything at all great (just lots of tiny sketches I found), and if you do choose to try them, I request that you try them in real life - they invariably sound much better on real cellos/pianos (the piano will generally require lots of pedal.) - since alot of this is just me bashing the piano, the sound of the instrument is rather important (and sibelius barely copes with a couple of pieces). Some things are silly, like the sq fragment, while other things I think are more interesting. Just a few curiosities from my child hood!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=85b03aac3371ec39ab1eab3e9fa335ca617cf3e00c3d8873
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Maciek

Is there any way you can export this to a pdf or an image or something? Please. :-* :-* :-* Not all of us have Sibelius, you know. ::) :P

(Or is there some sort of "Sibelius Reader" around, a counterpart to Finale Notebook??)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maciek on October 02, 2008, 01:11:17 AM
Is there any way you can export this to a pdf or an image or something? Please. :-* :-* :-* Not all of us have Sibelius, you know. ::) :P

(Or is there some sort of "Sibelius Reader" around, a counterpart to Finale Notebook??)

I have a Sibelius plugin installed in my Opera browser, called Scorch, which makes it possible to see and listen to scores made with Sibelius. In the case of Guido's files, though, I think I would have to take an account at the Sibelius site first and then upload them to make them visible, I think...  ???

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/

Edit: upload of scores is good for people who want to sell their music via Sibelius. I think Guido must convert the files for us non-Sibelians...