Ottevanger's Omphaloskeptic Outpost

Started by lukeottevanger, April 06, 2007, 02:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Luke

Oh no, you can't hear them......! That would spoil all the fun.

Joke. I will try to sort something out.

Luke

OK - tongue placed firmly in cheek, here are some MIDIs of the fugues I posted earlier. Numbers 1, 3, 5 are written but missing from the ones I've posted (no particular reaosn), numbers 10 and 11 are not composed yet.

The sport is spot the subject, I suppose (not difficult, and there are visual clues at the top of each score), and then, in some cases, spot the connections between the subject and my treatment of it.

Tongue in cheek, remember...

Edit - listening to the MIDIs for the first time - number 6 needs to be a fair bit faster, for the tumultuous storm that overtakes Paul McCartney's Frog Chorus ('...sink or swim, one thing is certain we'll never give in...') to work as intended.  :D

Luke

...oh, and if it isn't obvious, these are not meant to be academically 'correct' fugues, and I'm aware of their many failings in that respect.  Three more...

Luke

I recommend using these MIDIS in conjunction with the scores - more fun

Scarpia

Quote from: Luke on June 22, 2010, 11:03:12 AM
I recommend using these MIDIS in conjunction with the scores - more fun

How come the scores are have no author listed?

Luke

Do you mean of the subjects? I suppose I could/should. Just wrote these as a bit of fun, remember, not for any other purpose. Initially I did put the source songs on the score, but then I took them off because I prefered the slight obfuscation. But they're all more than obvious, I think.

Scarpia

Quote from: Luke on June 22, 2010, 11:28:18 AM
Do you mean of the subjects? I suppose I could/should. Just wrote these as a bit of fun, remember, not for any other purpose. Initially I did put the source songs on the score, but then I took them off because I prefered the slight obfuscation. But they're all more than obvious, I think.

No, I mean how come your name isn't on them?  Centuries from now when music scholars are going through the attachment list for this web site they will find these fuges with no authorship indicated and assume they were written by Saul.   ::)

Luke

Oh, I see!

Well, I'm not sure they are worth owning up to, actually! But my name is at the beginning of the full score - I've broken it up into individual numbers to post here, and I haven't posted number one, so you can't see it, that's all.

Luke

Quote from: Scarpia on June 22, 2010, 11:32:06 AM
No, I mean how come your name isn't on them?  Centuries from now when music scholars are going through the attachment list for this web site they will find these fuges with no authorship indicated and assume they were written by Saul.   ::)

Are they that bad?

Scarpia

Quote from: Luke on June 22, 2010, 11:36:06 AM

Are they that bad?

No, they're quite delightful, but I'm fear they end up being attributed to the poster who seems the most pleased with himself.  Well, maybe Karl will get credit.   ;D

Luke

Karl wouldn't do anything so down-market! He'd go hunting for subjects in Zappa B sides and lost Bonzo's numbers, not kids' cartoons....

karlhenning

Two performances last night and today, so I haven't had a proper look at all the fuguing, Luke. But I will!

Luke

I hope I didn't make a false assumption about your own fuguing habits, Karl...

Luke

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 22, 2010, 01:28:52 PM
Two performances last night and today, so I haven't had a proper look at all the fuguing, Luke. But I will!

You missed nothing, Karl, I only posted them a couple of hours ago.

karlhenning

Quote from: Luke on June 22, 2010, 01:30:25 PM
I hope I didn't make a false assumption about your own fuguing habits, Karl...

I partake too seldom to think of it as a habit! : )

Luke

I fought shy of it for as long time, but the idea seemed such fun! Had me hooked, for a while, but I'm OK now, I could quit any time, I can handle it....

Guido

I love em! I don't recognise the theme of no.9 but I really like it!!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Luke

Before your time, I guess. Robots in disguise...

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhCtVq5iIa0

...hence the unfolding and 'transformation' of the subject into something scarily unrecognisable, and then the precise retrograde back into the form whence it came. A perfect confluence of form and content, style and idea, macro- and micro-structure, abstraction and programmatic reference..... alternatively, it's just me acting like a big kid.

I never watched Transformers, btw. But I had friends in the playground who did...honest.