The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Sorry about the messy type above - not sure what happened.
Amazon wrote today:

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on April 08 2017.

Various Artists "Richard Strauss - Complete Operas (DG box set)"
  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G4PV0H2

We're awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

If you'd prefer to cancel the item, please visit Your Account

Harry

41 titles of the label ALPHA for 9,99€ a piece. Free postage on JPC de.

https://www.jpc.de/s/alpha+collection?searchtype=serie
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Jo498

The greatest bargain seems to be the complete Beethoven Sonatas with Bilson and former students. Any comments on that one? Almost impossible to resist (10 EUR for 10 discs) but I am still not the greatest fan of historic pianos, don't really need more Beethoven sonatas (unlike Todd), don't have space and have about half of Brautigam's. Has the set by Bilson et al. been superseded by more recent efforts (Brautigam, Lubimov, Crawford and others)?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

I don't need another LvB set, but this one seems irresistible. Apart from Bilson, Breitman and van Oort are excellent fortepianists.

I put Frank Martin's Le conte de Cendrillon and Max d'Ollone's Le Menétrier in my cart.

If someone never heard of Martin's piano concertos, here they are, and you shouldn't miss them !

Thanks Harry !

king ubu

Quote from: Harry's corner on May 13, 2017, 12:00:07 AM
https://www.jpc.de/s/Claves+CDs+zum+limitierten+Sonderpreis?searchtype=campaigntext&rubric=classic

63 titles from the label CLAVES a'3,99€
A super bargain.

Thanks again, Harry!

My order (with added sets from cpo - the Weingartner symphonies - and that Caccini Channel disc which I have been eyeing for a couple of years, and which nicely enough is down to 50% and thus finally at - more than - reasonable price):

Sandor Veress (1907-1992)
Konzert für Klavier,Streicher,Percussion
+Bartok: Divertimento für Streichorchester +Dutilleux: Mystere de l'instant für Streicher, Zimbalon & Percussion   EUR 3,35

Frank Martin (1890-1974)
Le conte de Cendrillon (Ballett)

Frank Martin (1890-1974)
Klavierkonzerte Nr.1 & 2
+Ballade f. Klavier & Orchester

Francis Poulenc (1899-1963)
Les Biches
Les animaux modeles; Intermede champetre; Les Maries de la Tour Eiffel (Ausz.); Marche 1889; Marche 1937

Max D'Ollone (1875-1959)
Le Menetrier für Violine & Orchester
+ Lamento für Orchester; Fantaisie für Klavier & Orchester; Andante & Scherzo für 3 Celli

Giulio Caccini (1545-1618)
Le Nuove Musiche
+Piccinini: Werke für Theorbe (Toccaten, Corrente, Partita, Chiaconna)

Felix Weingartner (1863-1942)
Sämtliche Symphonien
Symphonien Nr. 1-7 +König Lear op. 20; Das Gefilde der Seligen op. 21; Lustige Ouvertüre op. 53; Der Sturm (Ouvertüre & Suite); Streicherserenade; Ouvertüre op. 56 "Aus ernster Zeit"; Frühling op. 80

I've got the Martin Jecklin disc (with No. 2 by PBS) on my piles ... but not yet heard it.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Harry

Quote from: king ubu on May 14, 2017, 05:08:03 AM
Thanks again, Harry!

My order (with added sets from cpo - the Weingartner symphonies - and that Caccini Channel disc which I have been eyeing for a couple of years, and which nicely enough is down to 50% and thus finally at - more than - reasonable price):

Sandor Veress (1907-1992)
Konzert für Klavier,Streicher,Percussion
+Bartok: Divertimento für Streichorchester +Dutilleux: Mystere de l'instant für Streicher, Zimbalon & Percussion   EUR 3,35

Frank Martin (1890-1974)
Le conte de Cendrillon (Ballett)

Frank Martin (1890-1974)
Klavierkonzerte Nr.1 & 2
+Ballade f. Klavier & Orchester

Francis Poulenc (1899-1963)
Les Biches
Les animaux modeles; Intermede champetre; Les Maries de la Tour Eiffel (Ausz.); Marche 1889; Marche 1937

Max D'Ollone (1875-1959)
Le Menetrier für Violine & Orchester
+ Lamento für Orchester; Fantaisie für Klavier & Orchester; Andante & Scherzo für 3 Celli

Giulio Caccini (1545-1618)
Le Nuove Musiche
+Piccinini: Werke für Theorbe (Toccaten, Corrente, Partita, Chiaconna)

Felix Weingartner (1863-1942)
Sämtliche Symphonien
Symphonien Nr. 1-7 +König Lear op. 20; Das Gefilde der Seligen op. 21; Lustige Ouvertüre op. 53; Der Sturm (Ouvertüre & Suite); Streicherserenade; Ouvertüre op. 56 "Aus ernster Zeit"; Frühling op. 80

I've got the Martin Jecklin disc (with No. 2 by PBS) on my piles ... but not yet heard it.

Weingartner's symphonies are very good. He is a top dog in my collection. I am happy you bought them.

André

By the time I pushed "buy now", the Beethoven Claves set's price had shot up to 85€  ??? . Toot bad, but no harm done, really. My best friend has it, in case I want to hear it.

Harry

Quote from: André on May 14, 2017, 06:48:34 AM
By the time I pushed "buy now", the Beethoven Claves set's price had shot up to 85€  ??? . Toot bad, but no harm done, really. My best friend has it, in case I want to hear it.

That's because after I posted this, orders shot up! They were sold out in no time. About 12 of my classical friends wanted it, so I ordered 12 sets of them. Sorry! :) ;)

king ubu

Quote from: Harry's corner on May 14, 2017, 06:43:43 AM
Weingartner's symphonies are very good. He is a top dog in my collection. I am happy you bought them.
That's good to hear! I so far only know his recording of the Brahms symphonies ... figured I must check out more some day!

Quote from: André on May 14, 2017, 06:48:34 AM
I have a spare copy, but I guess I'd need around 40-50€ for it, and shipping then is prohibitive anyway (it's a heavy sucker with a big booklet). But if you ever make it to Zurich (you could deduct a beer or two from the price then, of course).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

André

;)

As I said, it's mainly a bargainer's regret, as I don't really need it. The Strauss operas box, OTOH... :-X

Que

Quote from: Harry's corner on May 14, 2017, 06:51:35 AM
That's because after I posted this, orders shot up! They were sold out in no time. About 12 of my classical friends wanted it, so I ordered 12 sets of them. Sorry! :) ;)

And I ordered one.... 8)

Q

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Harry's corner on May 14, 2017, 06:51:35 AM

Which Claves Beethoven set are you speaking of?

Jo498

Malcolm Bilson and friends/students (Dütschler, Van Oort etc.) from the mid-1990s. It was gone very quickly (I didn't order it, not sufficiently fond of fortepianos and trying to keep my collection in check for space reasons).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

king ubu

Quote from: Jo498 on May 14, 2017, 10:55:07 PM
Malcolm Bilson and friends/students (Dütschler, Van Oort etc.) from the mid-1990s. It was gone very quickly (I didn't order it, not sufficiently fond of fortepianos and trying to keep my collection in check for space reasons).

How crazily sane of you  ;D

Next order, triggered by the 50% Channel sets I stumbled over:
https://www.jpc.de/s/Channel+Classics+um+50%25+reduziert?searchtype=campaigntext&rubric=classic

Ordered the Bach cantatas with Zomer (a singer I enjoy very much - the "Splendore di Roma" is here already, as are a few more of her Channel discs, the Caccini made me see the Channel sale and is part of the previous order already), the Britten (with Hanigan et al.), the "Musickes Sweetest Joyes", plus the two Reger cpo's mentioned by André in the purchase thread ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Jo498

I cannot deny that I might have yielded to the temptation but it was gone so quickly that I only had to resist a few hours. A good one from Claves still on sale is the one with early Mahler Lieder with Roland Herrmann. And while there might be many good or better options for the Weber ouvertures the Foster recording has Weingartner's orchestration of Invitation to the Dance a worthwhile curiosity if one is fond of the piece (Weingartner combines all the themes at the end).
While I have not heard them, I'd think that Winterreise with Genz, the Carmina Haydn 7 last words and the Dohnanyi chamber music would be worth the low price for a try. 
- Blaise Pascal

Harry

Quote from: flyingdutchman on May 14, 2017, 08:08:09 PM
Which Claves Beethoven set are you speaking of?

Yes I was
The Beethoven piano sonatas box, complete, on authentic instruments

king ubu

Quote from: Jo498 on May 15, 2017, 02:50:42 AM
... that Winterreise with Genz ...

Read good things about it, have it on my piles, still to listen to it ... but I hope summer will finally kick in soon, it's about time.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Todd

Don't know if this has been posted, but this cycle is available for $0.99 in MP3 format at Amazon.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Harry

Alert..........

At JPC de, all Document boxes, 122 of them smackers, for just 9,99€.
There are always a few that might come in handy.

https://www.jpc.de/s/Documents+Wallet-Boxen+f%C3%BCr+nur+9%2C99+Euro?searchtype=campaigntext