The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

CRC

Quote from: Mookalafalas on September 29, 2017, 03:42:55 AM
Pre orders for the new Bernstein box are $179 for 100 CDs.  Looks like a handsome box--similar to the big original jacket Rubinstein box.  If memory serves (and admittedly, it often doesn't) when I first became aware of this set it was listed at $221.   
   The discs look shorter than those in the two earlier Sony sets (although the average is 51 minutes a disc, which isn't bad, if the Amazon ad is to be trusted regarding the total time).

It says "remastered," which would be good, of course, but the sound was really good on the previous incarnation(s), so I wonder if it has been remastered since then, or just since the original releases...
The new Bernstein box is an "original jacket" collection, hence the shorter timings in keeping with the original LP's. Unlike the Rubinstein box it is NOT a complete collection. There is no way they could put the complete Columbia/Bernstein on 100 CD's if you consider the previous two sets together were more then 100 CD's and with longer timings and those didn't even include any of the choral/vocal stuff. The "100 CD's" concept is to mark the 100th anniversary of Bernstein's birth.

Also, the "remastered" part may be a bit misleading. While some of it is indeed newly remastered for 2017, you can bet that not all of it is. However, those that are not were remastered recently enough that it shouldn't really make much of a difference here.

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Que

Quote from: Orpheus on October 05, 2017, 11:42:39 AM
Here is a deluxe bargain for baroque opera fans:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B00DHCJLWG/ref=mp_s_a_1_250?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1507232400&sr=1-250&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 05, 2017, 03:08:47 PM
  That's insane.  It's a beautiful box. I got it for about $100, and THAT was a super bargain. 

[asin]B00DHCJLWG[/asin]

I caved in........ thanks for posting!  :)

Q

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on October 07, 2017, 10:55:38 PM
[asin]B00DHCJLWG[/asin]

Q

caved in :D
  The 3DVD Handel opera is worth the price alone. All the CDs are packaged in a special material, somewhere between jewel boxes and cardboard sleeves.  It has 3 different booklets (4?).  The recordings are wonderful.  Its a shame that it got so cheap, really.
This box deserved more love :'(
It's all good...

GioCar

Much tempted...

The problem at least for me is finding the time to listen to all that stuff  ::)

Que

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 07, 2017, 11:58:36 PM
caved in :D

It's the mere slightly frightening thought of being inundated by more stuff to listen to, and not least of heaving to somehow squeeze in another heavy "brick" on my full shelves.... ;)

QuoteThe 3DVD Handel opera is worth the price alone. All the CDs are packaged in a special material, somewhere between jewel boxes and cardboard sleeves.  It has 3 different booklets (4?).  The recordings are wonderful.  Its a shame that it got so cheap, really.
This box deserved more love :'(

Oh, it is real shame indeed....  >:D

Hope you don't mind that I will not complain about the bargain, though...:D

Thanks for the endorsement!  :)

Q

Mookalafalas

You'll be happy, Que.  Although, as a caveat, the cases are bulkier than other sets.

Talk about big box sets, I just saw that the price plummeted on this one:

[asin]B00L2SQVS4[/asin]

$116 for 147 discs, most of it very high quality. I love all the keyboard stuff, although the organ is a bit disappointing. 
It's all good...

hafod

Robert Schumann - The Live Complete Solo Piano Works (13cd): Dana Ciocarlie £3.97
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-Schumann-Complete-Piano-Works/dp/B0742WNHPC

Mine arrived today - no time to listen before the w/e.

DaveF

Quote from: hafod on October 09, 2017, 06:30:30 AM
Robert Schumann - The Live Complete Solo Piano Works (13cd): Dana Ciocarlie £3.97

It's up to £4.04 already.  The €10,000,000 loaf of bread isn't far away.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

marvinbrown

Quote from: Que on October 07, 2017, 10:55:38 PM
[asin]B00DHCJLWG[/asin]

Q

I caved in too! This is one area (Baroque opera) where my collection is seriously lacking. The only operas i am familiar with are Handel's Rinaldo and Ceasar, Charpentier's Medee, and Purcell's Dido. Lots of unfamiliar names and works in my favorite genre......OPERA!!!!!!

marvin

marvinbrown

Quote from: hafod on October 09, 2017, 06:30:30 AM

Mine arrived today - no time to listen before the w/e.

Thanks for posting this I just ordered one right now. 

marvin

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: hafod on May 18, 2017, 12:19:40 AM
Sviatoslav Richter Live At Carnegie Hall - 13 cds - due for release 1st September and currently priced at £4.78.

Re-run of the Strauss Opera box saga but with lower stakes?

I have taken a punt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071HBBYC1

Did your punt pay off?

Mine did, ordered 18 May, came this morning for £4.78 plus shipping.  13 CDs of Richter Magic.

Anyone else persevere and get this superb bargain?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Biffo

Quote from: marvinbrown on October 09, 2017, 12:18:52 PM
  I caved in too!

Same here but a few weeks ago and at a higher price - £66, still a wonderful bargain. So far only heard/watched the Monteverdi and the introductory disc. Fortunately only one duplication - Les Indes galantes.

albanberg

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on October 25, 2017, 07:53:24 AM
Did your punt pay off?

Mine did, ordered 18 May, came this morning for £4.78 plus shipping.  13 CDs of Richter Magic.

I was shocked and delighted to get the email today that it had indeed been shipped - I was sure it would be canceled. I got two copies, one to give as a present, and with the VAT removed and including shipping, it came to £12. Scheduled to arrive here in the US on Nov. 10.

ab

Turner

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 09, 2017, 02:19:28 AM
You'll be happy, Que.  Although, as a caveat, the cases are bulkier than other sets.

Talk about big box sets, I just saw that the price plummeted on this one:

[asin]B00L2SQVS4[/asin]

$116 for 147 discs, most of it very high quality. I love all the keyboard stuff, although the organ is a bit disappointing.
The cantatas recordings are the main things to criticize there, IMO.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on October 25, 2017, 07:53:24 AM
Did your punt pay off?

I got email notice that it was shipped. It has been so long that I forgot about it. I think most of it is a duplicate of this set though:
[asin]B00NFLVFFK[/asin]