The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: André on November 07, 2017, 04:28:17 AM
Thanks Harry ! Da Capo is an excellent label indeed. Poul Ruders is in my cart. I was missing that one. Highly recommended: Herman Koppel.

Your very welcome André. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

André

Quote from: Harry's corner on November 07, 2017, 05:28:52 AM
Funny enough I could never attach myself to this composer. Maybe he is simply to modern for me?

I wouldn't say Koppel is too modern. He's very much of his time, to be sure, but not 'modern' in the dissonant/noisy/aggressive sense. Poul Ruders is much more 'modern'  :D.

I'm tempted by Riisager, but where to start ? I'd go for just one disc to sample his sound world.

Rued Langgaard's Antikrist is a must, but I see that Amazon has it (and other versions of it) at about the same price.

Brian

Quote from: André on November 07, 2017, 07:00:45 AM
I'm tempted by Riisager, but where to start ? I'd go for just one disc to sample his sound world.
Some of the ballets and lighter orchestral works. Forgive me, I am not clicking the link to see what is on sale and what is not, but I thoroughly enjoy the CD with "Benzin" (probably #1 choice), the "Fools' Paradise" ballet (diamond pattern cover and Hakan Hardenberger on trumpet), and the chamber music album (divertimento, serenade).

André

akebergv

Harry

Quote from: André on November 07, 2017, 07:00:45 AM
I wouldn’t say Koppel is too modern. He’s very much of his time, to be sure, but not ‘modern’ in the dissonant/noisy/aggressive sense. Poul Ruders is much more ’modern’  :D.

I’m tempted by Riisager, but where to start ? I’d go for just one disc to sample his sound world.

Rued Langgaard’s Antikrist is a must, but I see that Amazon has it (and other versions of it) at about the same price.

Good, but still there is no spark in my ears concerning his music, not for want of trying mind.

Turner

It's a very large part of the Dacapo catalogue which is on sale, though prices aren't necessarily extremely low.
There is a possibility that this means the titles will henceforth be out of print 😕

The Holmboe complete string quartets are very cheap.

Nørgård's Siddharta 2 CD set includes the fine concerto for percussion and orchestra, 'For a Change'.

I'm seriously considering Klenau's big 9th symphony, on 2CDs, plus some more.

My favorite Koppel is an old DMA LP coupling the 3rd Piano Concerto and an Oboe Concerto. Grab it if you are into LPs and you see it. The Dacapo recording is different in the piano concerto. The Cello Concerto on BIS is also good. I haven't yet dwelled much on his symphonies.

Harry

Quote from: Turner on November 07, 2017, 08:16:59 AM
It's a very large part of the Dacapo catalogue which is on sale, though prices aren't necessarily extremely low.
There is a possibility that this means the titles will henceforth be out of print 😕

The Holmboe complete string quartets are cheap, though.

Nørgård's Siddharta 2 CD set includes the fine concerto for percussion and orchestra, 'For a Change'.

I'm seriously considering Klenau's big 9th symphony, on 2CDs, plus some more.

The prices are low,  considering what they normally cost. And yes many titles will go out of print especially the 4,99 € cd's and in a large extent also the 7,99€€  cd's.

Turner

Yeah, it is quite likely that Dacapo will join the modern trend of digital downloads much more in the future, at the expense of old media.

For example, Presto Classical's new website design also seems to be upgrading that dimension.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: akebergv on November 07, 2017, 07:32:27 AM
The Solti Complete Chicago is presently €76 on Amazon Spain (but for how long?): https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B073GSGGH1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

62 Euros after the VAT is removed--but then they want to charge me $47 dollars for shipping >:(
It's all good...

Marc

Quote from: Harry's corner on November 07, 2017, 05:29:33 AM
Your very welcome André. :)

Me thank you too, Harry.
Did a modest yet nice dive in your suggested jpc links. :)

Harry

Exclusively for JPC de. they have managed through Chandos to get the contemporaries of Mozart series as a super bargain.
Three boxes each with 10 CD'S at 42,95€. Volume I, II, III.
Since they are all outstanding discs I consider this a bargain.
They are at the end of this list, just scroll down.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/novelties

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

André

Quote from: Harry's corner on November 10, 2017, 10:51:40 PM
Exclusively for JPC de. they have managed through Chandos to get the contemporaries of Mozart series as a super bargain.
Three boxes each with 10 CD'S at 42,95€. Volume I, II, III.
Since they are all outstanding discs I consider this a bargain.
They are at the end of this list, just scroll down.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/novelties

I have a few (3? 4 ?) individual issues. This repertoire sits just outside my fach, so I'll give it a pass. But for those so inclined (Hi Gurn!   8)  these 3 boxes are both essential and a not-to-be-missed bargain. Thanks, Harry !

Orpheus

MyronM

There is a sale of Brilliant Classics boxes on German Amazon.  The 66 CD Vivaldi Edition, 65 CD Handel Edition, 50 CD Telemann Edition, and the 69 CD Schubert Editon are going for EUR 39.99 each.  The Locatelli Edition is EUR 26.99 and the Bach and Mozart Editions are going for EUR 79.99 each.

https://www.amazon.de/Vivaldi-Various/dp/B00NTDI89K/ref=pd_sim_15_82?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3Z52K6V5MZW0CGE07C8S

Walt Whitman

Thank you, MyronM, for the alert on the Brilliant Box Sale at amazon.de. The only Brilliant Box I didn't have was the Telemann, which I snapped up immediately at near 60% off the US amazon price! I've been wanting it for more than a year (probably closer to 2) but would not pull the trigger because there is so much inexpensive music out there that is was lower on the value chart. Today, at these prices, it shot up to Number 1.

Jumped back on to amazon.de to see if there was anything I overlooked. Sure thing, Boccherini Edition. 37 CDs of Boccherini's oeuvre delivered to my door for $38.00. Thanks again!

mc ukrneal

The Stanislaw Skrowaczewski - 90th Birthday Collection is a good deal too at EUR 29.99.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

king ubu

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/