The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on March 22, 2018, 06:08:39 AM
Chandos deleted titles sale. These CDs are OOP and the label is clearing out the very last of their stock.
https://www.chandos.net/sale-cds

Some potentially interesting:
"The Unknown Shostakovich" featuring his orchestration of Schumann's Cello Concerto

I recommend this highly.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

The Ginastera/Villa Lobos/Evangelista disc is top notch too. Ginastera's Concerto for strings is an amazing piece - not for the faint of heart.

Harry

Quote from: André on March 22, 2018, 07:39:10 AM
The Ginastera/Villa Lobos/Evangelista disc is top notch too. Ginastera's Concerto for strings is an amazing piece - not for the faint of heart.

Not much of interest for me in this Chandos sale.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

André

That's because you're a softie, Harry !  :laugh:

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on March 22, 2018, 07:39:10 AM

This has me interested. What do you mean, exactly?

André

It's a sometimes rattling work. The finale sounds like someone just kicked a beehive. A bit like the allegretto furioso in Shostakovich's 10th quartet. Behind the buzzing sounds is excellent music. The first movements are really beautiful. Check youtube clips, a few interpretations are on display.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on March 22, 2018, 08:21:10 AM
It's a sometimes rattling work. The finale sounds like someone just kicked a beehive. A bit like the allegretto furioso in Shostakovich's 10th quartet. Behind the buzzing sounds is excellent music. The first movements are really beautiful. Check youtube clips, a few interpretations are on display.

Sounds like it is worth investigating...

Harry

Quote from: André on March 22, 2018, 07:59:41 AM
That's because you're a softie, Harry !  :laugh:

Dear me you really think that? :laugh:
I eat your heart for breakfast >:D

DaveF

Chandos deleted titles sale. These CDs are OOP and the label is clearing out the very last of their stock.

Thank you for that - I'm going to have to buy something, possibly The Black Knight, the Finzi choral disc, the Dutilleux concerti and Rozhdestvensky's Schnittke 1.  And would also recommend highly the Bliss twofer and the Byrd Great Service - the only recording AFAIK at the written pitch, rather than hoiked up and 3rd or 4th.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Turner

Thanks, I ended up buying 4 for a total of around £ 16 including postage  - Bax´s "Concertante", Moeran+Warlock choral songs, plus chamber CDs with music by Scott and Sculthorpe.

king ubu

Ordered the Respighi, Ginastera et al. and Unknown Shosti from the Chandos sale ... and threw in Handel's "Flavio" for good measure - thanks!  :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Harry

André

Caprice (Sweden) discs on sale at JPC. These are NEVER on sale anywhere. 7.99€ each (6.70€ ex-VAT).

Among those I mightily recommend are the following:

Yes: THE version of Pettersson's VC 2 !!

Superb late-romantic concertos.

+ the Hilding Rosenberg string quartets, and many others !

And this beautiful Requiem by Olsson (a quiet work. Don't expect thunderous Dies irae here).

And that one too, one of my favourite modern music discs:

And this (2 discs), too. Beware: not for the faint of heart. A harrowing emotional journey.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on April 18, 2018, 11:17:24 AM

Until Lindberg releases his recording of it. ;)

Turner

Quote from: André on April 18, 2018, 11:17:24 AM
Caprice (Sweden) discs on sale at JPC. These are NEVER on sale anywhere. 7.99€ each (6.70€ ex-VAT).

Among those I mightily recommend are the following:

Superb late-romantic concertos.

+ the Hilding Rosenberg string quartets, and many others !

And this beautiful Requiem by Olsson (a quiet work. Don't expect thunderous Dies irae here).

And that one too, one of my favourite modern music discs:

And this (2 discs), too. Beware: not for the faint of heart. A harrowing emotional journey.

Indeed, I know the Pettersson, Wiklund, Rosenberg and Sandstrom ones, and those are fine records.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 18, 2018, 06:40:21 PM
Until Lindberg releases his recording of it. ;)

Wrong. There will be no competition, as Wallin/Lindberg opt for the revised version, not the original one. IMHO it's an inferior work, with the sense of strife and struggle noticeably tamed. At least that's how it sounds in the van Keulen interpretation. Maybe Wallin will change that, but I doubt it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on April 19, 2018, 04:54:33 AM
Wrong. There will be no competition, as Wallin/Lindberg opt for the revised version, not the original one. IMHO it's an inferior work, with the sense of strife and struggle noticeably tamed. At least that's how it sounds in the van Keulen interpretation. Maybe Wallin will change that, but I doubt it.

Well, I was just messing with you. ;) Personally, I can't stand the work (as is the case with most of Pettersson's music for me) nor do I care about what version is performed.

Harry

André

I forgot an important one: among the Caprice records batch at JPC stands this little gem of a guitar recital by Göran Söllscher. Superb concerto by von Koch, as good and tuneful as Malcolm Arnold's.

Recommended with enthusiasm.