The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Thanks to the chatter on this thread, and previous mentions in other threads, I finally gave in and ordered the Silvestri ICON box off Amazon MP.....

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Biffo

Quote from: JBS on September 17, 2018, 07:53:33 AM
Thanks to the chatter on this thread, and previous mentions in other threads, I finally gave in and ordered the Silvestri ICON box off Amazon MP.....

Mine arrives tomorrow, can't wait.

Brian

Quote from: Biffo on September 17, 2018, 08:21:23 AM
Mine arrives tomorrow, can't wait.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on September 17, 2018, 08:24:41 AM

Perfect, since I have just been catching up on the Movie thread, and Karl's comments thereon regarding the  Indiana Jones movies.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

flyingdutchman

To me the Silvestri Dvorak 8th is the best on disc.

Ken B

André

Quote from: flyingdutchman on September 17, 2018, 10:52:04 AM
To me the Silvestri Dvorak 8th is the best on disc.

As is the Manfred symphony. A treasure trove indeed.

Abuelo Igor

I remember one day that I played the Silvestri Manfred and someone at home commented that the conductor must have been really pissed off that day.  8)
L'enfant, c'est moi.

flyingdutchman

Well, his Manfred (both versions) are great, but his Tchaikovsky 4-6 not so great.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: flyingdutchman on September 18, 2018, 03:36:01 PM
Well, his Manfred (both versions) are great, but his Tchaikovsky 4-6 not so great.
5 is very good. I am not a big fan of 4 or 6 so cant comment.

flyingdutchman

The 5th is one of my favorite symphonies and I found Silvestri's way with it very sluggish and too rigid.  That was my recollection.  BUT, I do so love his Dvorak 8th.

Martin H

There seem to be a lot of new boxes coming out (ready for Christmas?) - and amazon.de has plenty of the latest. Worth a browse.
I was struck by a new Rossini Edition from Warner: singers from Callas to Netrebko, conductors from Giulini to Pappano, and some 15 complete operas (including rarities like L'assedio di Corinto, Zelmira, Bianca & Faliero, as well as staples such as the Barber and William Tell) - plus choral works, chamber pieces, recitals etc. 
€85.99 for 50 CDs.

akebergv

André

Not quite super duper bargains, but a bunch of discounted Orfeo boxes are available at JPC as of today. Lots of Bayreuth and Salzburg stuff, including Jon Vickers' Parsifal, the Krauss and Knappertsbusch Ring. Also, a Gulda Beethoven sonatas set, etc.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/offers

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: akebergv on September 21, 2018, 06:37:15 AM
There is a great price (€42) for the upcoming Gregor Piatigorsky box at Amazon.fr: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07FSNB6J1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
A lot of these SONY boxes seem to have very short running time cds. i see 36 cds in that box but it could probably fit on 20cds.

Brian

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 21, 2018, 07:43:21 AM
A lot of these SONY boxes seem to have very short running time cds. i see 36 cds in that box but it could probably fit on 20cds.
They are "Original Jacket," ie they reproduce the LP as it was with the original cover art.

A better compromise is the new Warner/Erato series, which reuses the original cover art on individual sleeves, but adds material to make the CDs run for an hour or so.

akebergv

Quote from: Brian on September 21, 2018, 07:45:32 AM
They are "Original Jacket," ie they reproduce the LP as it was with the original cover art.

A better compromise is the new Warner/Erato series, which reuses the original cover art on individual sleeves, but adds material to make the CDs run for an hour or so.
I once would have said the same thing and for the same reason, but have increasingly come to appreciate the original jacket concept, despite sometimes getting short running times. The original artists and producers created a record as a unified listening experience, and adding other material often (if not always) disrupts that intention.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: akebergv on September 21, 2018, 09:39:27 PM
I once would have said the same thing and for the same reason, but have increasingly come to appreciate the original jacket concept, despite sometimes getting short running times. The original artists and producers created a record as a unified listening experience, and adding other material often (if not always) disrupts that intention.

I agree with this. The cost of pressing a CD is minuscule. There is value in having the music organized as it was originally produced, without some extra tracks tacked on which may have been recorded at a different time under difference circumstances, and which don't get their own 'original jacket' representation.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 21, 2018, 09:49:35 PM
I agree with this. The cost of pressing a CD is minuscule. There is value in having the music organized as it was originally produced, without some extra tracks tacked on which may have been recorded at a different time under difference circumstances, and which don't get their own 'original jacket' representation.

Yep. I like the original jacket boxes. The RCA has extensions but they did a good job picking stuff that fits.

Brian

I like original jacket boxes too, but for a different reason - my drive to work is almost exactly the length of one side of an LP, so I can throw a bunch of the sleeves in the car door pocket and have music for a week.