The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 03, 2019, 05:49:26 PM
...but not complete Mahler.

When did Mehta record a complete Mahler cycle, and for what label?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on February 03, 2019, 06:26:22 PM

When did Mehta record a complete Mahler cycle, and for what label?

Looking through Amazon, he's done 6, 7, DLvdE, some of the songs,and 10(?...maybe only the Adagio) but no trace of 8 or 9.

He is a good conductor, but some misses, and the only essential Mehta recording I would say is the Pavarotti/ Sutherland Turandot.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Quote from: JBS on February 03, 2019, 06:45:19 PMLooking through Amazon, he's done 6, 7, DLvdE, some of the songs,and 10(?...maybe only the Adagio) but no trace of 8 or 9.

He recorded only 1-5 and the Adagio from 10 for Decca.  He has never recorded all the symphonies and only recently added the Seventh to his repertoire. 

He's hit and miss, but more hit than miss.

JBS

Quote from: Todd on February 03, 2019, 06:52:37 PM

He recorded only 1-5 and the Adagio from 10 for Decca.  He has never recorded all the symphonies and only recently added the Seventh to his repertoire. 

He's hit and miss, but more hit than miss.

Amazon has at least one recording of him doing the Sixth, on Apex.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Quote from: JBS on February 03, 2019, 07:10:34 PM

He rerecorded the Second and Fifth for Teldec, and recorded his first take on the Sixth for the label. 

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on February 03, 2019, 07:10:34 PM

My memory was playing tricks again. They did include all of the Decca Mahler Symphonies. It was Bruckner where they were selective, omitting his recordings of the 4th and 8th (and 0th).

CB45

The remarkable Amazon.de sale also includes the Stephen Kovacevich box.  Long delivery times are the price we have to pay!

Brian

My Amazon.de order of the DG Barenboim and Yepes solo boxes shipped! Estimated to arrive in 2 weeks...

PerfectWagnerite

I can't help but notice this set is only $34 on ebay.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 08, 2019, 08:21:23 AM
I can't help but notice this set is only $34 on ebay.

Interesting. I wonder if they they are closing this out to later combine it with "The Symphony Edition" and give him the big-box, original jackets treatment.
It's all good...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 08, 2019, 08:26:19 PM
  Interesting. I wonder if they they are closing this out to later combine it with "The Symphony Edition" and give him the big-box, original jackets treatment.

Even the two wouldn't be remotely complete. I suspect this edition was just so overpriced no one bought it.

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on February 08, 2019, 06:29:32 AM
My Amazon.de order of the DG Barenboim and Yepes solo boxes shipped! Estimated to arrive in 2 weeks...

My Barenboim box arrived yesterday. Looks nice, just not sure I'll ever need that much Barenboim, really - but at that price, even buying two or three chunks of it would have been more expensive ...

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 08, 2019, 08:55:32 PM
Even the two wouldn't be remotely complete. I suspect this edition was just so overpriced no one bought it.

I did, for 36€, several years ago ... now it's down to 24.99 €:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DI5BS8M/
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: king ubu on February 09, 2019, 03:33:53 AM
My Barenboim box arrived yesterday. Looks nice, just not sure I'll ever need that much Barenboim, really - but at that price, even buying two or three chunks of it would have been more expensive ...

I did, for 36€, several years ago ... now it's down to 24.99 €:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DI5BS8M/
It's free if you have Amazon Music Unlimited so I downloaded it. There is nothing really there all that interesting in my opinion - the exception being an Amsterdam Dvorak 7th that somehow flew under the radar whenever great recordings of this work are mentioned. If anything this D7 is more vivid than the much heralded Colin Davis recording with the same orchestra. I think I heard it many years ago when the LP was available but have not really seen it on CD. Good to see it included in this set.

king ubu

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 09, 2019, 08:55:22 AM
It's free if you have Amazon Music Unlimited so I downloaded it. There is nothing really there all that interesting in my opinion - the exception being an Amsterdam Dvorak 7th that somehow flew under the radar whenever great recordings of this work are mentioned. If anything this D7 is more vivid than the much heralded Colin Davis recording with the same orchestra. I think I heard it many years ago when the LP was available but have not really seen it on CD. Good to see it included in this set.

... for me some concertos with Grumiaux and Szeryng that weren't available in their own respective boxes at that time ... and I'm still curious about Haitink, have seen him live a few times (with Tonhalle-Orchester Zurich) and was always thoroughly impressed. Haven't yet explored this set (or the Symphony Edition) in its entirety.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: king ubu on February 11, 2019, 03:58:51 AM
... for me some concertos with Grumiaux and Szeryng that weren't available in their own respective boxes at that time ... and I'm still curious about Haitink, have seen him live a few times (with Tonhalle-Orchester Zurich) and was always thoroughly impressed. Haven't yet explored this set (or the Symphony Edition) in its entirety.
I heard him live with the Boston SO quite a few times back in the mid '90s. Then a couple of times when he conducted Mahler with the NYPO and the Chicago SO. I think he is a better conductor live than on record, with masterful baton technique and great control of the orchestra. The guy is immortal, pushing 90 and still as engaged as ever in the musical scene. The last of the line so to speak.

akebergv

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 13, 2019, 03:47:19 PM
I heard him live with the Boston SO quite a few times back in the mid '90s. Then a couple of times when he conducted Mahler with the NYPO and the Chicago SO. I think he is a better conductor live than on record, with masterful baton technique and great control of the orchestra. The guy is immortal, pushing 90 and still as engaged as ever in the musical scene. The last of the line so to speak.

Add Herbert Blomstedt to that list of immortals. He might be only 85, but he just recorded Stenhammar's second symphony and serenade, music he had never before conducted (a BIS recording which received a rave review by no less a critic than David Hurwitz, who designated it a "superlative" reference recording).

king ubu

Quote from: akebergv on February 14, 2019, 03:17:10 AM
Add Herbert Blomstedt to that list of immortals. He might be only 85, but he just recorded Stenhammar's second symphony and serenade, music he had never before conducted (a BIS recording which received a rave review by no less a critic than David Hurwitz, who designated it a "superlative" reference recording).

Blomi, indeed! Another beloved guest at Tonhalle's helm - saw him do Beethoven 7 and 8 one night, and that was fantastic!

Haitink, btw, had no baton when he was Tonhalle, I think ... he was hardly conducting it seemed, but at the same time in full control. Amazing to watch and listen.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Biffo

Dutton Vocalion are having a Winter Sale with numerous discs under £1 and plenty of other bargains - https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

ammar

Quote from: Biffo on February 15, 2019, 04:06:41 AM
Dutton Vocalion are having a Winter Sale with numerous discs under £1 and plenty of other bargains - https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

Thanks for this, that's another 31 CDs bought which I don't have the space for/time to listen to  :-[ :-[ :-[

If you scroll past the historical reissues & multiple 'Mantovani's Greatest Hits' CDs, there are a number of the more modern Dutton Epoch recordings also in the sale.