The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on April 14, 2011, 10:18:32 PM
Rieu is not a musician, and he modifies Strauss's music all the time, A musical barbarian.
He doesn't count. >:(

He tinkers with Strauss Waltzes, so he is not a musician?   It's still music, even if it is not entirely faithful to Strauss' scores, no?

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 14, 2011, 10:32:25 PM
He tinkers with Strauss Waltzes, so he is not a musician?   It's still music, even if it is not entirely faithful to Strauss' scores, no?

Its not a question of tinkering, he sometimes re writes them, substitutes his own notes, leaves whole pieces out, thinks he is the best musician in the world.
Maybe a musician, but for me of a questionable reputation. :)

ammar

Perhaps this is a bit off-topic, but bear with me. Remember in January, various Amazon sites were selling this box set at a knockdown price :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Chopin-Various/dp/B004EQAUZQ/

Well I, like many others (by the looks of the negative feedback that was posted under the Amazon.co.uk product review section), was mistakenly sent the single disc collection of piesni / songs from this box set. I immediately returned the offending item for a refund. Imagine my surprise when this appeared in my inbox earlier today :

QuoteHello,

We are writing to let you know that we have recently listed the product The Real Chopin as being a 21 disc set. Due to a stock issue, some stock was correct, however, some stock wasn't.

If you wish to receive the correct version, we would be happy to place the order for you, at the price you originally paid. This offer is limited to one copy only.

Please use the link below to let us know if you would like us to place the order for you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html     

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We hope to see you again soon at Amazon.co.uk.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service
Amazon.co.uk

Considering the list price is now £96.99 (compared with the original £12.97), I think I might just take them up on their offer  :)

Scarpia

Quote from: ammar on April 15, 2011, 10:53:20 AMConsidering the list price is now £96.99 (compared with the original £12.97), I think I might just take them up on their offer  :)

Well, buy it and then sell it as new stock on Amazon Marketplace.   ;D   (I'm evil.)

Jared

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 15, 2011, 11:05:28 AM
Well, buy it and then sell it as new stock on Amazon Marketplace.   ;D   (I'm evil.)

Now, that's what I call Chopin' around for a bargain...

(I'll get me coat...  :-[)

Grazioso

Quote from: Jared on April 15, 2011, 11:53:40 AM
Now, that's what I call Chopin' around for a bargain...

(I'll get me coat...  :-[)

Don't forget your shopping Liszt.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

stingo

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on April 14, 2011, 10:52:51 PM
Its not a question of tinkering, he sometimes re writes them, substitutes his own notes, leaves whole pieces out, thinks he is the best musician in the world.
Maybe a musician, but for me of a questionable reputation. :)

I somehow think there is no question of his reputation with you, Harry.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: stingo on April 16, 2011, 09:56:56 AM
I somehow think there is no question of his reputation with you, Harry.

Would you care to elaborate on that my friend?

stingo

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on April 16, 2011, 10:02:39 AM
Would you care to elaborate on that my friend?

A joke - playing on the word questionable as your opinion seemed quite certain.

listener

Quote from: Grazioso on April 16, 2011, 04:56:26 AM
Don't forget your shopping Liszt.
Liszt prices are usually not super-bargains.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Jared

I don't think you are going to getr much better then this... a very respectable performance of the Schubert Octet by the Gaudier Ensemble (Penguin Guide 3 Stars) on ASV:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000025RVT/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1303030486&sr=8-1&condition=used

just LOOK at the price!  :o

prémont

Quote from: stingo on April 16, 2011, 10:05:58 AM
A joke - playing on the word questionable as your opinion seemed quite certain.
:)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Scarpia

Quote from: Jared on April 17, 2011, 12:57:07 AM
I don't think you are going to getr much better then this... a very respectable performance of the Schubert Octet by the Gaudier Ensemble (Penguin Guide 3 Stars) on ASV:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000025RVT/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1303030486&sr=8-1&condition=used

That's odd, US Amazon doesn't seem to list it, but there is also a recording of the Octet by the same ensemble on the hyperion label.

[asin]B000088E0R[/asin]

gilfachphil

Amazon UK this morning was showing the Chandos 19 disc 'Grainger Edition' for £32-99.  The cheapest I had seen it before was about £45 from MDT.

DavidW

Quote from: Jared on April 17, 2011, 12:57:07 AM

I bought it from Berkshire Record Outlet a few years ago, it's my least favorite Schubert chamber work, but the performance is excellent.

Jared

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 17, 2011, 06:27:04 AM
That's odd, US Amazon doesn't seem to list it, but there is also a recording of the Octet by the same ensemble on the hyperion label.

[asin]B000088E0R[/asin]

I believe this is the same recording my friend... which got issued on Hyperion at a later date...  :)

Jared

Quote from: haydnfan on April 17, 2011, 11:57:32 AM
I bought it from Berkshire Record Outlet a few years ago, it's my least favorite Schubert chamber work, but the performance is excellent.

yes, I've come across quite a few people who struggle with this work, then others adore it.  It's certainly not as immediate as either Quintet, that's for sure. I just read good things about this recording, which was going for what would be about 40c !!

Scarpia

Quote from: Jared on April 17, 2011, 12:08:40 PM
I believe this is the same recording my friend... which got issued on Hyperion at a later date...  :)

If that's true, then I have that recording, although I have not listened to it yet.  I have a few other recordings of the piece, including the famous Vienna Octet version.  A sprawling work, which I find I enjoy most when listening to one movement at a time as an interlude between other works.   The Schubert chamber work I find myself most resistant to is the famous Trout Quintet.

Jared

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 17, 2011, 12:18:11 PM
The Schubert chamber work I find myself most resistant to is the famous Trout Quintet.

well, you always were... different...  ;D

Yes, the Vienna Octet version, coupled with the Spohr is a must have disk for anyone...  8)

Conor71