The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on May 01, 2011, 09:03:37 AM
Plus a hefty rate of postal costs I might add.

Harry, I ordered this set from France, to ship to Canada, and the postage/shipping costs were minimal (I believe it was only 5 Euros).  Still a major steal of a deal.

Coopmv

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 01, 2011, 10:03:14 AM
Harry, I ordered this set from France, to ship to Canada, and the postage/shipping costs were minimal (I believe it was only 5 Euros).  Still a major steal of a deal.

Is Abeille an Amazon US MP seller?  I recall seeing a packing slip with its name for one order that unexpectedly arrived from Europe since the seller did not list itself as being in Europe ...

Scarpia

Quote from: Coopmv on May 01, 2011, 10:31:25 AM
Is Abeille an Amazon US MP seller?  I recall seeing a packing slip with its name for one order that unexpectedly arrived from Europe since the seller did not list itself as being in Europe ...

FabulousCD

DavidW

If anyone else is interested, the hyperion Brahms complete chamber works is available through FabulousCD/Abeille for $45:

[asin]B001F4YGU0[/asin]
http://www.abeillemusique.com/CD/Classique/CDS4433142/0034571143316/Hyperion/Johannes-Brahms/Musique-de-Chambre-Integrale/cleart-30432.html

That is how I bought mine, and they shipped and relisted so I assume they have more in stock. :)

Also the Harnoncourt/Beethoven symphony cycle is available on amazon mp3 for only $15:
[asin]B000095IUM[/asin]

listener

The Erato 12-disc Mravinsky - Leningrad Symphony set  €16.99  at
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000V07IVS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0X8YJVFDQ399H93EP308&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375513&pf_rd_i=405320
Shostakovich Sym.m 5,10, 12    Beethoven Sym. 1,3,5,7,6  Mozart Sym 33, 39
Tchaikowsky Sym 5, 6   Francesca...   Wagner selections, Glazunov Raymonda Suite, + Mussorgsky, Glinka
US price is $61.75
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Que

Quote from: Opus106 on April 30, 2011, 09:52:04 AM
I've come across comments to the effect that it isn't totally legit. I emphasise totally because, as I've stated before, I'm aware of at least one set of recordings which was licensed from some other label. Anyway, I think we're veering away from my question, so let me rephrase it: is that label (Q?) legit?

In the whole legit/ not legit discussion, one important factor was left unmentioned IMO: whether the label uses original sources.

Documents does seem often not to do so, and uses transfers from out-of-copyright LP's instead. Legit, but not always preferable from a sound quality perspective.

Q-disc is a reputable Dutch label that used for its Concertgebouw issues all original resources available - mostly tapes from Dutch radio.

I have that Mengelberg Mahler IV in a superb Netherlands-only issue in the "Dutch Masters" series, then still bearing the Philips brand name. Still, I'm inconsolable that the Mengelberg items are already gone... :'(

Q

Opus106

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 07, 2011, 01:03:39 AM
In the whole legit/ not legit discussion, one important factor was left unmentioned IMO: whether the label uses original sources.

Documents does seem often not to do so, and uses transfers from out-of-copyright LP's instead. Legit, but not always preferable from a sound quality perspective.

Q-disc is a reputable Dutch label that used for its Concertgebouw issues all original resources available - mostly tapes from Dutch radio.

Q

Thank you for clarifying the issue further, Que. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 07, 2011, 01:03:39 AM

I have that Mengelberg Mahler IV in a superb Netherlands-only issue in the "Dutch Masters" series, then still bearing the Philips brand name. Still, I'm inconsolable that the Mengelberg items are already gone... :'(

Q

So far dear Que all documents recordings use the same masters as  the original, so in the question of sound there was no difference at all. And I have many Document releases. They are all legit, and walk within the boundaries.

Que

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on May 07, 2011, 02:16:45 AM
So far dear Que all documents recordings use the same masters as  the original, so in the question of sound there was no difference at all. And I have many Document releases. They are all legit, and walk within the boundaries.

Certainly, it's all legit. But that major record companies would give Documents access to their original masters, seems improbable to me. If they would do so, considering the price of Documents issues they must receive hardly any payment for it. But perhaps you got inside information? :)

Q

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 07, 2011, 02:37:09 AM
Certainly, it's all legit. But that major record companies would give Documents access to their original masters, seems improbable to me. If they would do so, considering the price of Documents issues they must receive hardly any payment for it. But perhaps you got inside information? :)

Q

Rather than lying around they sell the release permit for a certain amount of pressings, "a one off", they get reasonably well paid for it. The selling figures show that there is profit for everybody involved. Its in the quantity Que.

Que

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on May 07, 2011, 03:17:54 AM
Rather than lying around they sell the release permit for a certain amount of pressings, "a one off", they get reasonably well paid for it. The selling figures show that there is profit for everybody involved. Its in the quantity Que.

So, you did have inside information - thanks for the explanation! :)

Q

prémont

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on May 07, 2011, 02:16:45 AM
So far dear Que all documents recordings use the same masters as  the original, so in the question of sound there was no difference at all.

I may be slow cerebrated, but it is a tad unclear to me what you consider the original in this context. What about old 78 RPM shellac recordings, and what about the Walcha Bach organ mono set. Did Documents get access to the original mastertapes or did they use the first LP releases as their source material, or did they maybe use DGs about five years old CD mastering as a source? Owning many of the original vinyl releases as well as DG´s CD release and the Documents release of course, my ears tell me, that Documents used the old vinyl releases, but maybe you can clear up the problem?

However a lot of Documents releases are licensed from Vox and Danish Classico and others, and this is always written on the cover of the CDs. The sound quality of some of these are better than the mother labels latest CD  release, but some are worse - especially the licensed Vox releases. But in the case of Walcha´s Bach set, nothing is wirtten on the cover about licensing, and this is for me another sign that Documents probably used vinyl releases as their source material. If this is the case it is of course legal too.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Shrunk

Quote from: Orpheus on May 07, 2011, 07:20:06 AM
For Brendel's fans

http://www.amazon.ca/Comp-Sons-Ctos-Ludwig-Beethoven/dp/B0043UOQ26/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

http://www.amazon.ca/Pno-1822-1828-Franz-Peter-Schubert/dp/B0042LJTQO/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

Orpheus  ;)

I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it.  Those prices are in the "Is that a misprint?" category, since they're about half of what they go for on the US site.  I picked up the Schubert, but since I already have Brendel/Beethoven III, I passed on the other.  Shelf space is becoming more valuable than money.

Brian

That price is really enticing - just 14 GBP including shipping - but the international standard shipping estimate is "30 to 40 weeks"!! The estimated arrival date is March 2012.  ???

DavidW

Brendel's recordings on the Philips are being reissued on brilliant classics, in particular Gulda is getting the boot in the Beethoven edition... so Decca's bargain priced rerelease of their own Brendel recordings seems timely.  Brendel fans will have plenty of bargain priced offerings to choose from. :)

Opus106

Quote from: haydnfan on May 08, 2011, 04:32:25 AM
Brendel's recordings on the Philips are being reissued on brilliant classics, in particular Gulda is getting the boot in the Beethoven edition... so Decca's bargain priced rerelease of their own Brendel recordings seems timely.  Brendel fans will have plenty of bargain priced offerings to choose from. :)

I think it's his Vox cycle that is being sold by Brilliant.
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on May 08, 2011, 06:29:39 AM
I think it's his Vox cycle that is being sold by Brilliant.

That is true, but I heard that the upcoming reissue of the Beethoven edition will have the Philips cycle though.  That could be wrong, Brilliant Classics seems to be pretty closed mouth about that set.

Opus106

Quote from: haydnfan on May 08, 2011, 07:03:53 AM
Brilliant Classics seems to be pretty closed mouth about that set.

You tried to fool them by telling your name was Harry, didn't you? ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Quote from: Shrunk on May 08, 2011, 03:47:11 AM
I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it.  Those prices are in the "Is that a misprint?" category, since they're about half of what they go for on the US site.

It's being offered on the US site for $22, vs $15 Canadian.  The contrast isn't that large, and from the US it is cheaper to order from US Amazon because the shipping from Canada to the US is expensive (more expansive than from England, which seems odd).