The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrunk

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 08, 2011, 07:15:15 AM
It's being offered on the US site for $22, vs $15 Canadian.  The contrast isn't that large, and from the US it is cheaper to order from US Amazon because the shipping from Canada to the US is expensive (more expansive than from England, which seems odd).

Right now Amazon US has the Schubert set at US$31.18, while the Canadian site has it at CAN$14.49.  The prices on the Beethoven set are $47.48 and $19.49 respectively.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-Piano-Sonatas-Concertos/dp/B0043UOQ26/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1304868277&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Musicaux-Impromptus-Wanderer-Fantasia/dp/B0042LJTQO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1304868504&sr=1-1

Scarpia

Quote from: Shrunk on May 08, 2011, 07:28:38 AM
Right now Amazon US has the Schubert set at US$31.18, while the Canadian site has it at CAN$14.49.

Amazon Marketplace sellers have offered new copies for $22.62 on Amazon.com, which makes it less expensive the Amazon.ca for shipment to the US.  The big mystery for me is why amazon.ca charges more to ship to the us than amazon.co.uk.  Maybe Amazon wants to discourage US customers from using the Canadian site.

not edward

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 08, 2011, 07:38:25 AM
Amazon Marketplace sellers have offered new copies for $22.62 on Amazon.com, which makes it less expensive the Amazon.ca for shipment to the US.  The big mystery for me is why amazon.ca charges more to ship to the us than amazon.co.uk.  Maybe Amazon wants to discourage US customers from using the Canadian site.
CanadaPost mail to the US may well be more expensive than UK mail to the US.

Oddly enough, something of the same is true in reverse: for people in Canada it's usually cheaper to buy from amazon.co.uk than amazon.com.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on May 08, 2011, 07:11:00 AM
You tried to fool them by telling your name was Harry, didn't you? ;)

haha ;D  Wait that's what we need... Harry, help us out here... :)

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: haydnfan on May 08, 2011, 09:16:21 AM
haha ;D  Wait that's what we need... Harry, help us out here... :)

Will dive into the matter, and report back when I find out:)

Scarpia

Quote from: edward on May 08, 2011, 09:03:58 AM

I've mailed things to Canada and it is not particularly expensive.  I suspect Amazon has some reason for wanting to keep the US and Canada markets relatively distinct.

Coopmv

Oddly enough, something of the same is true in reverse: for people in Canada it's usually cheaper to buy from amazon.co.uk than amazon.com.

Is Amazon CA a relatively new Amazon website?  I thought I heard one of our Canadian members once said there was no Amazon Canadian website ...

Brahmsian

So much for NAFTA, eh?  ;D

not edward

Quote from: Coopmv on May 08, 2011, 10:30:21 AM
Is Amazon CA a relatively new Amazon website?  I thought I heard one of our Canadian members once said there was no Amazon Canadian website ...
It opened in 2002.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Antoine Marchand

Coopmv

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 08, 2011, 03:36:53 PM
So much for NAFTA, eh?  ;D

That giant sucking sound from one country that should never have been included in NAFTA ...

Lethevich

A Canadian friend of mine is constantly raging over how expensive and unintuitive in terms of weight threshold pricing Canada's postal service is - at least half of the blame must lay with them rather than Amazon pricing policy.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DaveF

I stumbled across a rather good ongoing offer from Hyperion.  I expect lots of others already know about it, but it's here anyway: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1016

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

mgendron

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 14, 2011, 11:29:15 AM
A Canadian friend of mine is constantly raging over how expensive and unintuitive in terms of weight threshold pricing Canada's postal service is - at least half of the blame must lay with them rather than Amazon pricing policy.

I'm from Québec and let me tell you that Canada post is unbeleivable. Sending something Canada-to-Canada is almost the same as to worldwide. I sent a lot of cd worldwide and everyone is complaining about cost until they see the real cost.  A lot of canadian go to USA for mailing boxes.

Lethevich

Quote from: mgendron on May 14, 2011, 02:59:36 PM
A lot of canadian go to USA for mailing boxes.

It's a very strange situation - my friend lives in BC, right on the border, and he uses a US mailbox as well.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

gilfachphil

Quote from: DaveF on May 14, 2011, 12:26:24 PM
I stumbled across a rather good ongoing offer from Hyperion.  I expect lots of others already know about it, but it's here anyway: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1016

DF

Thanks Dave,

gave it a try.

Phil.

Coopmv

Quote from: mgendron on May 14, 2011, 02:59:36 PM
I'm from Québec and let me tell you that Canada post is unbeleivable. Sending something Canada-to-Canada is almost the same as to worldwide. I sent a lot of cd worldwide and everyone is complaining about cost until they see the real cost.  A lot of canadian go to USA for mailing boxes.

What return addresses do they use?  I doubt USPO accepts any package with a Canadian return address ...

scarlattiglenross

http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

The new erato

A crossposting here.

This 5 CD set is available for £ 9.85 (8.21 VATfree) on mdt:

10 Years of Zig-Zag Territoires

CD 1 - Rebel - Sonatas for Violins and Bass - Amandine Beyer
CD 2 - Rameau - Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin (1728) – Blandine Rannou
CD 3 - Mozart - Concertos - Jos van Immerseel & Anima Eterna
CD 4 - Bononcini - Serenata La Nemica d'Amore - Chiara Banchini & Ensemble 415
CD 5 - Monteverdi - Les Vêpres solennelles à St Jean-Baptiste - Francoise Lasserre & Akademia