Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

DavidW

Quote from: Coopmv on June 12, 2011, 12:42:33 PM
Any good deals at JPC?    ;D

Bump.  After I added the Schiff set that Antonio linked I also added

and

Opinions on these recordings and opinions on other good sets available at jpc that I should consider? :)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Quote from: Opus106 on June 13, 2011, 08:48:32 AM
for a Pound and 34 pennies.

Thank you! Bought it in a heartbeat - very kind of you to point that out :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 13, 2011, 09:56:24 AM

My pleasure. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

hafod

Quote from: Coopmv on June 12, 2011, 12:42:33 PM
Any good deals at JPC?    ;D

Herewith the current deals at jpc by popularity (I came across this by chance). The first half dozen pages seem to contain most of the best and saves scrolling through the lot.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/offers/-/lang/en/currency/EUR/flush/1?page=1

Scarpia

Quote from: hafod on June 13, 2011, 10:04:08 AM
Herewith the current deals at jpc by popularity (I came across this by chance). The first half dozen pages seem to contain most of the best and saves scrolling through the lot.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/offers/-/lang/en/currency/EUR/flush/1?page=1

That Hanson set is a great deal (already have the recordings).

prémont

Quote from: DavidW on June 13, 2011, 07:29:32 AM

and

Opinions on these recordings and opinions on other good sets available at jpc that I should consider? :)

Got these two recently. Have not heard the Mass yet, but I am not that keen on the Koopman Sinfonia set. Fast playing is not necessarily synonymous with superficiality, but in this case I think Koopman surfs above most of the music, and the instrumentalists sound like a group of routiniers. Leusinks instrumentalists play with more engagement  And why we get the same recording of that Sinfonia which is a variant of the first movement of the first Brandenburg concerto twice on the first CD is beyond me. And the four page text in the booklet reads only in Dutch. So definitely a disappointment.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DavidW

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 13, 2011, 02:12:00 PM
Got these two recently. Have not heard the Mass yet, but I am not that keen on the Koopman Sinfonia set. Fast playing is not necessarily synonymous with superficiality, but in this case I think Koopman surfs above most of the music, and the instrumentalists sound like a group of routiniers. Leusinks instrumentalists play with more engagement  And why we get the same recording of that Sinfonia which is a variant of the first movement of the first Brandenburg concerto twice on the first CD is beyond me. And the four page text in the booklet reads only in Dutch. So definitely a disappointment.

Thanks for the feedback.  My cart is now overflowing so I'll just remove that Koopman set. :)

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on June 13, 2011, 07:29:32 AM
Bump.  After I added the Schiff set that Antonio linked I also added

and

I got the Virgin set from Presto Classical or MDT at a great price last year ...

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 13, 2011, 02:12:00 PM
[....] I am not that keen on the Koopman Sinfonia set. Fast playing is not necessarily synonymous with superficiality, but in this case I think Koopman surfs above most of the music, and the instrumentalists sound like a group of routiniers. Leusinks instrumentalists play with more engagement  And why we get the same recording of that Sinfonia which is a variant of the first movement of the first Brandenburg concerto twice on the first CD is beyond me. And the four page text in the booklet reads only in Dutch. So definitely a disappointment.

If I'm not mistaken, this set was at first only available for the readers of the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf. The selection was made by their music journalist Thiemo Wind, with Koopman's permission. After that, I guess the remaining stock lots were thrown into the 'whole wide world' (= www).

gilfachphil

Quote from: gilfachphil on June 12, 2011, 08:30:38 AM
Amozon UK has offered a pre-release deal on a set of Mozart Operas conducted by John Eliot Gardiner for £33-99 which seems quite a lot less than other places at the moment.

Woops it has gone down to £30-47!

Opus106

Quote from: gilfachphil on June 16, 2011, 03:21:42 AM
Woops it has gone down to £30-47!

29.47! I've been having my eyes on it daily for a few weeks now, and the fact that it's decreasing in price like this makes me wait even further. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

Quote from: Opus106 on June 16, 2011, 06:05:27 AM
29.47! I've been having my eyes on it daily for a few weeks now, and the fact that it's decreasing in my price like this makes me wait even further. ;D

I went to order it at the 29.47 price because the UK price is a significant difference from the pre release price on Amazon US ($64.14 US) and the price dropped while I was ordering it.  It's now 25.xx.  Now I need to go back and complete the order, if you'll excuse me.

Opus106

Quote from: kishnevi on June 16, 2011, 06:44:52 AM
I went to order it at the 29.47 price because the UK price is a significant difference from the pre release price on Amazon US ($64.14 US) and the price dropped while I was ordering it.  It's now 25.xx.  Now I need to go back and complete the order, if you'll excuse me.

Did the price go up again -- it shows up as 29.47 for me?

Oh, and looking at the Market Place, I find it rather strange that someone would be buy the thing and then offer it as 'used' within 3 days of release for virtually the same price.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on June 16, 2011, 06:50:24 AM

Oh, and looking at the Market Place, I find it rather strange that someone would be buy the thing and then offer it as 'used' within 3 days of release for virtually the same price.

They bought it to copy. Now they're dumping while the dumping is good. ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on June 16, 2011, 06:57:22 AM
They bought it to copy. Now they're dumping while the dumping is good. ::)

8)

Oh, then I'd rather not complain about those socially responsible beings. 0:) >:D
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

Quote from: Opus106 on June 16, 2011, 06:50:24 AM

And now the server just lets me hang without letting me complete the purchase...will try with another browser, and will eventually report back.

Lethevich

Quote from: Opus106 on June 13, 2011, 08:48:32 AM
GiftDVDs, a UK AMP seller, is offering (as of 16:48 GMT)

for a Pound and 34 pennies.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000BW9GTI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1307983503&sr=1-7&condition=new

And here's the Amazon-GMG link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BW9GTI/?tag=goodmusicguideco-21
Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 13, 2011, 09:56:24 AM

Giftdvds just canceled this one - booo! Even worse - I am almost considering buying it at a higher price... but not yet.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Shrunk

Arkiv has the Complete Haydn Keyboard Music set by Ronald Brautigam (BIS) on sale for $39.99 this weekend.  I'm glad I waited on this one.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=204302