The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: cws on February 01, 2012, 08:20:19 PM
Charles Munch - Late Romantic Masterpieces (RCA - 7CD)

This seven disc set is available at present on Amazon for $12.57.

[asin]B0056K4UV4[/asin]

Now down to an amazing $11.95. And this:

[asin]B0056K4VZO[/asin]

is a mere $9.78!

stingo

There is also

[asin]B0042GNDTI[/asin]

from the Amazon marketplace from $13.02 + S&H

Brian

The highlight of MDT's new clearance offer must be the Guarneri Trio Prague's recording, on the Praga label, of all Beethoven's piano trios across 5 CDs - for a mere £12.65 (US $19.95) including VAT. US $16.65 without VAT.

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on February 10, 2012, 03:25:32 PM
The highlight of MDT's new clearance offer must be the Guarneri Trio Prague's recording, on the Praga label, of all Beethoven's piano trios across 5 CDs - for a mere £12.65 (US $19.95) including VAT. US $16.65 without VAT.
They're that good?

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on February 10, 2012, 09:44:59 PM
They're that good?

At any rate, I have their Dvorak piano trios and absolutely love them. I guess I haven't seen the Beethoven reviewed, but I'm assuming it's good.

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on February 11, 2012, 05:25:39 AM
At any rate, I have their Dvorak piano trios and absolutely love them. I guess I haven't seen the Beethoven reviewed, but I'm assuming it's good.

Many thanks for this tip-off, Brian. I wasn't able to find any reviews either, but did manage to hear a few samples at JPC. I liked what I heard enough to persuade me to order a box.

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on February 10, 2012, 03:25:32 PM
The highlight of MDT's new clearance offer...

Also, this one. Not really a super-duper kind of bargain, as per thread's suggestion, but a significant reduction from initial price; and the recital - both repertoire- and performance-wise -  is highly recommended.

stingo

How does it compare to the Brilliant set?

stingo

Rostropovich on Decca, $12.69 for 5 discs from Amazon US preorder. Releases March 13th.

[asin]B00690LYWS[/asin]

Wanderer

Quote from: stingo on February 14, 2012, 01:48:38 PM
How does it compare to the Brilliant set?

The programs for the most part don't coincide; in the pieces that do (Skazki), Berezovsky gives more energetic readings.

listener

Quote from: stingo on February 16, 2012, 07:27:34 PM
Rostropovich on Decca, $12.69 for 5 discs from Amazon US preorder. Releases March 13th.

jpc give the titles ( their price EUR 27.99):
Schubert: Arpeggione-Sonate D. 821
+Schumann: 5 Stücke im Volkston op. 102
+Haydn: Cellokonzert C-Dur H7b: 1
+Britten: Suiten Nr. 1 & 2 für Cello;Symphonie op. 68 für
Cello & Orchester
+Debussy: Cellosonate d-moll
+Beethoven: Cellosonaten Nr. 1-5
+Bridge: Cellosonate
Schubert: Arpeggione-Sonate D. 821
+Schumann: 5 Stücke im Volkston op. 102
+Haydn: Cellokonzert C-Dur H7b: 1
+Britten: Suiten Nr. 1 & 2 für Cello;Symphonie op. 68 für
Cello & Orchester
+Debussy: Cellosonate d-moll
+Beethoven: Cellosonaten Nr. 1-5
+Bridge: Cellosonate
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Coopmv

What are the latest bargains for this weekend?

listener

I still haven't played through the Levine Ring set, and am faced with the Janowski at $23.11 for 14 discs at amazon.ca
(use the link at the bottom of the site to transfer to the Canadian one)
[asin]B006XOBFJC[/asin]
and the Perahia Mozart piano concertos at $18.65 seems not a bad deal.  If I order both sets, amazon pays the postage.
[asin]B006XOBFB0[/asin]
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Opus106

Quote from: listener on February 28, 2012, 02:17:03 AM
I still haven't played through the Levine Ring set, and am faced with the Janowski at $23.11 for 14 discs at amazon.ca
(use the link at the bottom of the site to transfer to the Canadian one)

Or you could directly link to Amazon CA's product page with http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/<asin goes here>/?tag=goodmusicguideco-20 (without an image, of course).

More link formats listed here.
Regards,
Navneeth

Geo Dude

Amazon is offering the Brilliant Brahms Chamber Music box for $16.60.  If and when they get it back in stock this will be one hell of a deal!

[asin]B00008GQ6Z[/asin]

nico1616

Quote from: listener on February 28, 2012, 02:17:03 AM
and the Perahia Mozart piano concertos at $18.65 seems not a bad deal.  If I order both sets, amazon pays the postage.
[asin]B006XOBFB0[/asin]

Perahia made a lot of my favorite versions of Mozart piano concertos: n°15, 19, 23 & 25 are the first that come to mind. But I love them all, and paid 18 euros for each cd when they came out.
Now you can have all for the price of one  :o
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

The new erato

This one, 8 discs,  £ 19:

[asin]B0077DDWEE[/asin]

Any good?

Lethevich

Neat, finally it has been liberated from those nasty double-thick CD cased volumes :) This is my favourite Dvořák symphony cycle, with the caveat that it will not, nor does it try to "excite" the listener - it is a genial, immaculately crafted approach that works superbly well. I wonder why they did not include Neumann's Slavonic Dances, however.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: The new erato on March 04, 2012, 02:19:12 AM
This one, 8 discs,  £ 19:

[asin]B0077DDWEE[/asin]

Any good?

Link doesn't work

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr