The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarlattiglenross

Quote from: Lethevich on April 08, 2012, 08:57:08 PM
A great choice! At that price I would urge the curious to try. A few of the performances are not in state of the art sound, but all of the music is wonderful and there are many discoveries to be made.

Sprung for this set a year or so back - it doesn't disappoint!
http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Orpheus on April 11, 2012, 09:01:57 AM
For Schubert aficionados only   ;)

[asin]B0010B5BMU[/asin]

Not necessarily . . . looks good to me, too . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Orpheus on April 11, 2012, 09:01:57 AM
For Schubert aficionados only   ;)

[asin]B0010B5BMU[/asin]

look here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Complete-Secular-Choral-Works/dp/B0010B5BMU/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334163583&sr=1-2

Orpheus  8)
I have it. I like it. The performances are excellent. (and that is a great deal - 8 pounds).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Coopmv

Quote from: cws on April 08, 2012, 08:50:01 PM
On Amazon.com right now EMI's Ralph Vaughan Williams 30cd box set is available for $35:

I've been waiting to find an opportunity to explore RVW. It looks like this is it.

For those wanting a review of these works, see: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Nov10/RVW_collector_2066362.htm

I have listened through 4 or 5 CD's so far but have owned the set for quite a few months ...

kishnevi

Quote from: Coopmv on April 14, 2012, 01:35:14 PM
I have listened through 4 or 5 CD's so far but have owned the set for quite a few months ...

I can say even worse than that of more than a few of my purchases--as in, not listened to any of the music in them yet!

Meanwhile, in related news,  when I ordered the RVW box, Amazon promised shipping in about a week and a half.  Today I got an email saying it's been shipped--for once actually a couple of days ahead of schedule.

Coopmv

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 14, 2012, 05:33:20 PM
I can say even worse than that of more than a few of my purchases--as in, not listened to any of the music in them yet!

Meanwhile, in related news,  when I ordered the RVW box, Amazon promised shipping in about a week and a half.  Today I got an email saying it's been shipped--for once actually a couple of days ahead of schedule.

You are not alone.  This Shosty set I bought almost a year ago is still in its cellophane, as is the third JS Bach Organ Works cycle by Marie Claire Alain and quite a few others ...

I also have a few mega boxes each with at least 30 CD's that I have rarely scratched the surface .  3 Wagner Ring Cycles (2 CD and 1 DVD sets) are still awaiting me to open them ...

kishnevi

Quote from: Coopmv on April 14, 2012, 06:25:37 PM
You are not alone.  This Shosty set I bought almost a year ago is still in its cellophane, as is the third JS Bach Organ Works cycle by Marie Claire Alain and quite a few others ...

I also have a few mega boxes each with at least 30 CD's that I have rarely scratched the surface .  3 Wagner Ring Cycles (2 CD and 1 DVD sets) are still awaiting me to open them ...

Well,  I take off the cellophane as soon as I get them.  But otherwise--and don't talk about DVDs.  I have DVDS of Tristan and Lohengrin still unwatched which I bought close to two years ago, and of the Levine/MET DVD set I bought about a year ago, I've only played Rheingold.  It's simply much harder for me to sit down and watch  a DVD, even one act at a time, than it is to simply listen to a CD.

I'm on vacation this coming week, and I've  made myself a promise to cut down on the backlog to some degree.

Will Sheard

A very good deal on the EMI Oistrakh 17cd boxset: $31.49 at Amazon.com

Snap it up.

[asin]B001ASVXSE[/asin]

Whoso would be a man must be a non-conformist - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coopmv

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 14, 2012, 07:39:26 PM
Well,  I take off the cellophane as soon as I get them.  But otherwise--and don't talk about DVDs.  I have DVDS of Tristan and Lohengrin still unwatched which I bought close to two years ago, and of the Levine/MET DVD set I bought about a year ago, I've only played Rheingold.  It's simply much harder for me to sit down and watch  a DVD, even one act at a time, than it is to simply listen to a CD.

I'm on vacation this coming week, and I've  made myself a promise to cut down on the backlog to some degree.

Then another 20 new CD's arrive ...    ;D

Opus106

Currently 'out of stock', but 15.5 Pounds (ex. VAT) for 17 CDs. I guess Amazon wants to clear its old stock, to make way for the new print of the same box.

[asin]B000V9P4YM[/asin]

Amazon UK Link
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Amazon Italy has also been running a 3-for-2 offer for a few days (weeks?) [you will not be charged for the cheapest item, if I read the online translation correctly]. Probably not the greatest of selections, but you might find a thing or two (three!) to beef up the order in case you're planning to order a batch of the bargains.

Link to il musica classica section of the offer
Regards,
Navneeth

spooky

Thinking this may be a pricing mistake @ £19.49

[asin]B007OYFCVC[/asin]

Most other places its $90 to $100

-- not familiar with the artist at all

- can feel the CDCDCD kicking in "must try & resist"
"...when the night came, tortured by the usual melancholy of my thoughts, taking a vihuela,
I went out by a back door to the fields, to put aside my worries, and to enjoy the fresh wind
that was blowing..." Rojas, 1603

spooky

Sweelinck - Complete Psalms, Gesualdo Consort Amsterdam

[asin]B007IJKKV0[/asin]

The CDCDCD is far to strong or I'm to weak - what the hell  :o :o :o :o

for $23.81 for 12 discs, I almost feel like offering to come & pick up at the door !!!!
"...when the night came, tortured by the usual melancholy of my thoughts, taking a vihuela,
I went out by a back door to the fields, to put aside my worries, and to enjoy the fresh wind
that was blowing..." Rojas, 1603

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: spooky on April 17, 2012, 08:29:39 AM
Sweelinck - Complete Psalms, Gesualdo Consort Amsterdam

[asin]B007IJKKV0[/asin]

The CDCDCD is to strong far to strong or I'm to weak - what the hell  :o :o :o :o

for $23.81 for 12 discs, I almost feel like offering to come & pick up at the door !!!!

Great deal!

Todd

Quote from: spooky on April 17, 2012, 08:22:32 AM-- not familiar with the artist [HJ Lim] at all

The first volume of her LvB cycle was not particularly inspiring, at least for me.

It's kind of odd to see a complete cycle issued already given that the first volume was just released.  Now I face a conundrum: To buy the complete cycle or not.  Oh, who am I kidding?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

springrite

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2012, 08:45:24 AM

The first volume of her LvB cycle was not particularly inspiring, at least for me.

It's kind of odd to see a complete cycle issued already given that the first volume was just released.  Now I face a conundrum: To buy the complete cycle or not.  Oh, who am I kidding?

Todd is the official Guinea Pig of GMG.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: spooky on April 17, 2012, 08:22:32 AM
Thinking this may be a pricing mistake @ £19.49

[asin]B007OYFCVC[/asin]

That's an insane price for a new release. Surely it's a mistake. But I'm going to order it just in case Amazon honors the price.

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2012, 08:45:24 AM
The first volume of her LvB cycle was not particularly inspiring, at least for me.[/url]

I remember reading your review. Since I love oddball interpretations of overly familiar music this purchase is a no-brainer (at the quoted price at Amazon UK). Her Moonlight (heard in clips) is nuttier than Gould's  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"