The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: betty on July 02, 2012, 10:00:49 PM
Hi Folks,

Looks like a great new bargain here:

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Masterworks-Various-Artists/dp/B008BP1OEW/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1341294984&sr=1-2&keywords=classical+masterworks

30 CDs from Sony for only US$37.51.

Well, at least if you are a beginner and don't have any CD's in your collection, it could be a nice way to start. Most people have a good performance of all those works (that they are interested in) after their first year in the hobby. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 03, 2012, 06:04:05 AM
Well, at least if you are a beginner and don't have any CD's in your collection, it could be a nice way to start. Most people have a good performance of all those works (that they are interested in) after their first year in the hobby. :)

8)
I had the same reaction to the Lumieres disc that was posted here recently. Granted, it had a more narrow range, but still had a lot of popular works, and a lot of people here bought that one.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 03, 2012, 06:39:17 AM
I had the same reaction to the Lumieres disc that was posted here recently. Granted, it had a more narrow range, but still had a lot of popular works, and a lot of people here bought that one.

Yes, but it was much more specialized, as you say. A lot of that music was rarely recorded. This box (not even available until August, BTW) is pretty much commonly recorded items, no rarities. It appears to me to be a 'greatest hits' compilation. :)

8)

PS - Anyway, I would be surprised if "Betty" was anything but a shill for Sony. Just sayin'.

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 03, 2012, 06:39:17 AM

Exactly! The narrow range and a greater 'resolution'. Between Bach and Beethoven, there were more, much more than just Mozart and Haydn. Gurn's correct in that the set to which Betty linked is likely to appeal more to someone unfamiliar with even most of the popular works.
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on June 27, 2012, 11:27:01 AM
Sarge will go overboard!

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I can't decide) I have most of the contents already, and most everything I want.
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: eyeresist on June 27, 2012, 05:33:31 PM
Wow, another one for the Planets thread!

Maazel's Planets is worth hearing for the orchestra alone (like hearing a HIP performance is basically how M forever described it).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

eyeresist

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 03, 2012, 07:00:19 AMMaazel's Planets is worth hearing for the orchestra alone (like hearing a HIP performance is basically how M forever described it).

As opposed to the Norrington recording? ???

Brian

Quote from: eyeresist on July 04, 2012, 06:20:55 PM
As opposed to the Norrington recording? ???
I remember really liking the SWR Norrington Planets.

betty

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 03, 2012, 06:04:05 AM

8)

Actually, I have around a thousand CDs, but I'm a sucker for a good box set, and at that price it's hard to go wrong.

And Gurnatron5500, a shill for Sony? No... but if Altia Vox offered to flick a few discs my way for a mention or two, I'd have BIG trouble saying no to Jordi...

jut1972

Hi,
Does anyone have a track listing of this one?

P.S. for us europeans its cheap <25 euro plus postage at amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/Classical-Masterworks-Various-Artists/dp/B008BP1OEW/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1341294984&sr=1-2&keywords=classical+masterworks

Thanks
Jut

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: betty on July 04, 2012, 08:25:40 PM
Actually, I have around a thousand CDs, but I'm a sucker for a good box set, and at that price it's hard to go wrong.

And Gurnatron5500, a shill for Sony? No... but if Altia Vox offered to flick a few discs my way for a mention or two, I'd have BIG trouble saying no to Jordi...

Well, if you are/were, you certainly wouldn't be the first. It's a pity that you can't get them to tell us what's on it.... :-\

8)

stingo

Maybe not super cheap, but a pretty good bargain in my opinion... 9 discs for approx $25 from Amazon marketplace US.

[asin]B000W4E3OS[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: stingo on July 06, 2012, 12:53:16 PM
Maybe not super cheap, but a pretty good bargain in my opinion... 9 discs for approx $25 from Amazon marketplace US.

[asin]B000W4E3OS[/asin]

Thank you, I just ordered it.  I've been thinking of getting that set, and $25 including s/h is good enough for me. 

bumtz

Quote from: stingo on July 06, 2012, 12:53:16 PM

[asin]B000W4E3OS[/asin]

I got this one recently, and was very disappointed by it. Colorless playing and pretty muddy recording quality. I listened it back to back with Sofronitsky - no comparison.   

Ken B

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MyronM

Hi all,

Yesterday I came across a couple of box bargains from the French retailer fnac.com.  www.fnac.fr  The Brilliant Rachmaninoff Edition is selling for 18 euros (60% off).  They are also selling a 50-CD EMI box of operatic highlights, "Les Chefs d'Oeuvre de l'Opéra",  for only 12,90 euros (80% off).  I was able to get both of them for $55, including shipping.

Ken B

Fnac has wised up :( They want 17 E shipping for just the Opera to the US, and the Rach is no longer at that price.

Ken B

Presto www.prestoclassical.co.uk is having a clearance on DVD, mostly opera, while supplies last.
I have found Presto excellent in all ways. Shipping to the US is cheap and usually quick.