The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on July 26, 2012, 11:26:26 AM
Oh, give it a break, Karl. So he likes "cheap" recordings. So what?

His part of the conversation is (partly) a matter of making no distinction among recordings based on quality of performance.  Esteemed Nav, you'll forgive me if I do not see how your deliberately flat-lining my objections, to a matter of his liking cheap recordings, advances the conversation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bigshot

Quote from: Sammy on July 26, 2012, 11:45:38 AM
Being one of the older members here, I sure hope and expect that CDs will keep a high profile until I croak.

I'm no spring chicken! I remember saying exactly the same thing about LPs in the early 80s.

bigshot

Quote from: karlhenning on July 26, 2012, 11:59:37 AMHis part of the conversation is (partly) a matter of making no distinction among recordings based on quality of performance.

And I don't understand how it's a good performance when it's full price on BIS, and a poor one when it costs pennies in one of these sets...

KeithW

Quote from: stingo on July 26, 2012, 11:46:38 AM
What about this?

[asin]B007QZ0LMO[/asin]

11 discs for approx $25 from the Amazon US marketplace.

I picked this up when it came out - haven't given it a proper listen yet, but a sample suggested good quality recordings. Great artists as well.

kishnevi

Quote from: stingo on July 26, 2012, 11:11:20 AM
True - the question then is which provides the most pleasure.

Thread duty: Well I was/am pretty annoyed to see Noriko Ogawa's Debussy solo piano set in the RotM Debussy set. I got the Debussy piano works download for 7.99. All that said, it seems that at least two CDs aren't present in either, and one of those is only in the boxed set from BIS.

Which makes me feel much better, since I have the box set. 

About the Electrola One Act Opera set--check Prestoclassical before you order from Amazon MP, or you may be very upset.  A word to the wise....

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on July 26, 2012, 11:12:11 AMAnd there it is: the big clue that for this member, quality of content means nothing.

Karl, we get it. You think cheap music = bad music. Enough already.

stingo

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 26, 2012, 05:51:27 PM
Which makes me feel much better, since I have the box set. 

About the Electrola One Act Opera set--check Prestoclassical before you order from Amazon MP, or you may be very upset.  A word to the wise....

From what I can see they're roughly the same - around 24 or 25 USD shipped. Presto = 25.12, and Amazon MP = 24.72.

bigshot

listener

FWIW:  the original LP's were SQ (4-track), but I never saw or heard a system that could play that.   The discs had some notes and a synopsis, but no text / translation so I doubt there would be any with the CD sets.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

mc ukrneal

Quote from: stingo on July 26, 2012, 06:09:50 PM
From what I can see they're roughly the same - around 24 or 25 USD shipped. Presto = 25.12, and Amazon MP = 24.72.
While I agree they are around the same price if you only buy this, Presto will be cheaper if you buy at least one more item. Instead of 25.02 (not 25.12), it will be 24 or so. If you buy 4 other items (which is my usual average with them), it will be 23.30 or so. True, it's only aout $1.4 difference, but I take every dollar I can get.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

gilfachphil

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B005NNMM6Y/ref=ox_ya_os_product

The complete Shostakovich symphonies, Beethoven Orchestra Bonn, Roman Kofman, 37 euros for the 11 SACD boxed set seems a good deal.  I have a couple of the individual discs and have much enjoyed them.

Amazon Spain send to the UK for 6-99 euros for however many discs you order it seems so some very good deals to be had.

bigshot

I like the cover with Dmitri gazing fondly at a swarm of logos!

stingo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 26, 2012, 09:58:02 PM
While I agree they are around the same price if you only buy this, Presto will be cheaper if you buy at least one more item. Instead of 25.02 (not 25.12), it will be 24 or so. If you buy 4 other items (which is my usual average with them), it will be 23.30 or so. True, it's only aout $1.4 difference, but I take every dollar I can get.

Very true, but my budget at this time only permits the purchase of the opera set. I will keep them in mind though because they have some really good prices for their sales.

Rinaldo

Papy Oli

Olivier

Que

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 28, 2012, 12:38:06 AM
Not back down to 36 Euros as yet , but down to 51 euros today.

For that set, I'm keeping my eye firmly on Pricenoia right now! :D

But I very much appreciate you all watching out for me. :) :-*

Q

Conor71

I was able to get a used copy of this 6 Disc set for 2 pounds today - I thought it was a one-off but it looks like there are a couple more copies at this price if anyone is interested :)
Note: The Sleeping Beauty in this set has been cut to fit on 2 Discs afaik the other Ballets are complete.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000026D4M/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

bigshot

Previn is an nderrated conductor. His Schehehrezade is my absolute favorite version.

Conor71

Quote from: bigshot on Today at 11:10:49 AM
Previn is an nderrated conductor. His Schehehrezade is my absolute favorite version.

Yes, I like his work with the LSO - I am expecting to enjoy the Ballet set :)

jut1972

His Grieg piano concerto with soloist Mr Eric Morecambe is unsurpassed