The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveF

This is one of the odder sites I've noticed recently: http://www.selections.com/.  Looks like garden furniture at first sight, but the 3rd tab along the top, Music, has lots of reasonably priced stuff - seems to be especially good for single/double Regis and Brilliant discs.  Very cheap shipping rates, too.

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

jwinter

Quote from: André on August 14, 2012, 03:48:46 PM
Complete Furtwängler records - 107 discs: 79.99$, 86.88$ delivered. From Amazon.

Does it actually seem to be complete?  For example, does it have all umpteen recorded versions of each Beethoven symphony?
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

jwinter

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

DaveF

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on August 15, 2012, 11:17:17 AM
Only thing I will say is that I've found the shipping [from www.selections.com] to be very slow.  I mean weeks.  But it always gets here eventually.  :)

I notice that some items claim to be "in stock" while others say "available in 14-28 days" - I wonder whether your orders all came from the latter category?

Best current bargain I can see on there, BTW, is Messiaen's complete organ (Tanke) and piano music (Hill), plus songs (Kappelle/Austbø) - 17 discs for £19.99.

Also what I said previously about cheap shipping is not necessarily true - I was reading the overseas surcharge rates (oops).

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

kishnevi

Quote from: stingo on July 26, 2012, 11:46:38 AM
What about this?

[asin]B007QZ0LMO[/asin]

11 discs for approx $25 from the Amazon US marketplace.

Currently 12.53 Euros on Amazon Spain.

Ken B

Has selections.com been hacked? I get taken to a site 'Elite' that is unrelated.  >:(

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on August 16, 2012, 10:41:06 AM
Has selections.com been hacked? I get taken to a site 'Elite' that is unrelated.  >:(

I hope that YOU haven't been hacked!  Try this link;

http://www.selections.com/music/classical/

Works for me, anyway.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

jut1972

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 16, 2012, 10:55:53 AM
I hope that YOU haven't been hacked!  Try this link;

http://www.selections.com/music/classical/

Works for me, anyway.

8)

Works fine for me too, sounds like a browser hijack...  >:(

hafod

jut1972

Thanks for that picked up the Rattle Mahler and Beethoven sets. 

Matoupaschat

Hello, this is my first message. I apologize for my english. I would draw your attention on a very good boys solist's version of Bach's St-Matheuw
http://www.amazon.de/Matth%C3%A4us-Passion-BWV-244-Limitierte-Sonderauflage/dp/B008NVR6DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345580636&sr=8-1
disponible at Amazon.de . :)

Lilas Pastia

Thanks for this, Matou. It does look quite interesting. The Thomanerchor is a great ensemble and so of course is the Leipzig Gewandhausorchester. And at the price  :o one could do much worse.

Merci beaucoup pour cette très intéressante suggestion! ;)

kishnevi

Quote from: hafod on August 21, 2012, 06:33:55 AM
MDT is having an EMI clearance sale - some astonishing reductions.
http://www.mdt.co.uk/special-offers/emi-clearance-sale.html?dir=desc&order=price

Quite astonishing and tempting.  Until I saw the shipping charges (to the US at least), when they became far less astonishing and tempting.....For instance, the complete Ciccolini EMI box seems a steal at just under 30 GBP (36 if you need to pay VAT).  But the shipping charge is just under 20 GBP; add in bank fees and it's about 80 USD.  Not sure what the going price is on other sites, but my interest in Aldo is not strong enough to get me to spend 80 USD....

Presto has the two Rattle boxes I'm interested in, and although their listed price is higher,  the shipping charges make it more or less even to MDT.

The new erato

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 21, 2012, 05:55:49 PM
Quite astonishing and tempting.  Until I saw the shipping charges (to the US at least), when they became far less astonishing and tempting.....For instance, the complete Ciccolini EMI box seems a steal at just under 30 GBP (36 if you need to pay VAT).  But the shipping charge is just under 20 GBP; add in bank fees and it's about 80 USD.  Not sure what the going price is on other sites, but my interest in Aldo is not strong enough to get me to spend 80 USD....

Presto has the two Rattle boxes I'm interested in, and although their listed price is higher,  the shipping charges make it more or less even to MDT.
mdt har more or less lost me as a regular customer due to their shipping charges, though less exorbitant to Norway than to the US. In this case a few offers was so tempting that the low price made the shipping seem worthwhile, I will report in the Purchases thread when stuff is actually confirmed sent.

Coopmv

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 21, 2012, 05:55:49 PM

I hear you.  Those trans-Atlantic shipping charges are often deal breakers ...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Coopmv on August 22, 2012, 08:22:20 AM
I hear you.  Those trans-Atlantic shipping charges are often deal breakers ...
Yes, mdt has to be cheaper on a per disc price to be worth it (and often are for some brands, like Opera Rara when on sale).

For those in the US and have a Saks credit card, I heard that Capital One bought them (or is now the bank behind the card), which would mean the Saks card would probably not charge a foreign transaction fee. Worth checking out if you already have a card...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Coopmv

I have only shopped at jpc twice so far due to its shipping charge (13 Euro to the US) and I generally cannot find enough good prices to make paying that one-price shipping worthwhile.  On balance, Presto has the best shipping charge.  The MDT's shipping charge calculation is not that straightforward to figure out, as I have on a few occasions paid well over £10 shipping for my orders ...