The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

In case someone is interested in the Helmut Rilling cycle of Bach's cantatas (modern instruments), Amazon MP/US has a couple MP sellers with copies ~US$54 including free shipping, ~$0.76/disc.  I'm not sure this is exactly a super deal, but it's at least $20 cheaper than the best price I'd seen a year ago or so.  This cycle seems to receive less love than some of the other series/cycles, but such fine singing!  I listen to about one disc a week, and I have found lots to love in it.

[asin]B004K583KA[/asin]
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

AnthonyAthletic

Anything from £4.50 to £7 delivered for one of the discs, then Symphonies 1, 2 and the Payne realization for 3 appears a nice little bargain for such marvellous interpretations. 

£2.99 & £1.26 shipping from Naxos Direct.  All three Symphonies, jeweled in the commemorative slipcase.  £1.50 per disc delivered ain't bad.

Three superb recordings, Hurst and Downes especially.  Very high up in interpretation at any price, let alone budget price.

Naxos Direct Elgar Symphonic Box Set - under the 10 new tab

I got mine many years ago when they came out and probably divvied out £15 or so.  Makes you sick when you see them reduced in price!!  ;D  I remember paying £50 for the Abbado Mahler Chicago set, then it sky rocketed to £89 and stayed that price for years.  The very same Abbado Mahler set is going on Amazon now for £29 or so...which is an amazing bargain...dang it.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Ken B

FabulousCD is Abeille, but sometimes the selection or prices vary. I have found some very good deals from them on Amazon, and excellent service (immediate replacement) when one delivery never arrived.

Coopmv

Quote from: Ken B on January 24, 2013, 11:24:35 AM
FabulousCD is Abeille, but sometimes the selection or prices vary. I have found some very good deals from them on Amazon, and excellent service (immediate replacement) when one delivery never arrived.

Then I have definitely bought from Abeille a number of time unknowingly since my Amazon MP seller was FabuoousCD ...

jut1972

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on January 24, 2013, 07:34:52 AM
Anything from £4.50 to £7 delivered for one of the discs, then Symphonies 1, 2 and the Payne realization for 3 appears a nice little bargain for such marvellous interpretations. 

£2.99 & £1.26 shipping from Naxos Direct.  All three Symphonies, jeweled in the commemorative slipcase.  £1.50 per disc delivered ain't bad.

Three superb recordings, Hurst and Downes especially.  Very high up in interpretation at any price, let alone budget price.

Naxos Direct Elgar Symphonic Box Set - under the 10 new tab

I got mine many years ago when they came out and probably divvied out £15 or so.  Makes you sick when you see them reduced in price!!  ;D  I remember paying £50 for the Abbado Mahler Chicago set, then it sky rocketed to £89 and stayed that price for years.  The very same Abbado Mahler set is going on Amazon now for £29 or so...which is an amazing bargain...dang it.

Thanks for this I've ordered a copy, also ordered the accentus North disc mentioned in the purchases thread recently.

jut1972

Harmonia mundi are selling some of their catalogue cheap on amazon
the lumieres box is 15 plus shipping - GET THIS!!! GET THIS!!!
Isabelle Faust 2fer 4 plus shipping
Baroque HM Gold box 14 plus shipping

The new erato

jut1972

Sorry amazon UK but probably the same sort of discount at the others

Wakefield

jpc.de

Orgelwerke auf Silbermann-Orgeln
15 CDs
EUR 17.99

Das Beethoven-Projekt (Symphonien & Dokumentation)
4 DVDs
EUR 19.99

8)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jut1972 on January 25, 2013, 11:56:33 AM
Sorry amazon UK but probably the same sort of discount at the others

No, at Amazon US "Lumiere" is still $85.... (although as low as $62 in the AMP)  :-\

[asin]B005BZBY1I[/asin]

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

KeithW

Quote from: jut1972 on January 25, 2013, 11:15:04 AM
Harmonia mundi are selling some of their catalogue cheap on amazon
the lumieres box is 15 plus shipping - GET THIS!!! GET THIS!!!
Isabelle Faust 2fer 4 plus shipping
Baroque HM Gold box 14 plus shipping

Definitely Amazon UK - HM occasionally sell surplus stock at very reduced prices on the UK AMP.  I've bought a few things form them over the past couple of years (the Manze box for example).  I already have the Lumieres - paid much more than GBP15 but it was worth it.  A bargain at this price.  I suspect most who would be interested in the Faust will have these recordings in their original releases.  If not, this would be a bargain for the Beethoven alone.  Note that it is the earlier of her two recordings of the work.

bigshot

Amazon.de has Sony's Vivarte 60 CD collection on preorder for 75 euro. Lots of amazing HIP performances in that box.

http://www.amazon.de/Vivarte-Collection-Various/dp/B00AOTZ156/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359175929

http://www.amazon.com/Vivarte-Collection/dp/B004FTOU6W

mc ukrneal

There is a Wagner sale at Presto. The complete Karajan Ring can be had for $53. Haitink is quite cheap too at $20. Of course, for $57, you can get SOlti's Ring PLUS 6 more operas. Not bad prices if you are looking for one of these well known sets.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

kishnevi

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 25, 2013, 08:10:41 PM
There is a Wagner sale at Presto. The complete Karajan Ring can be had for $53. Haitink is quite cheap too at $20. Of course, for $57, you can get SOlti's Ring PLUS 6 more operas. Not bad prices if you are looking for one of these well known sets.

And I thought I was getting a great deal on the Karajan when I got it for under $70!

Off to investigate the Solti, which doubtless I will get and let it sit on my shelf for several months.  Ironic, given the response I gave you in the Mahler thread.

--and I see they have a Britten sale and a Verdi sale too!

Octave

No!  No!  No!  This is madness!

Papy Oli

Thank you for this great heads-up, Neal. I have ordered the Solti boxset to discover Wagner. what a bargain !!  :D ;D :D
Olivier

gilfachphil

This has just arrived:-

The Musical Treasure of Leufsta Bruk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FA55S2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

£4-99 + postage from Naxos Direct on MP

It could add to your total tally of composers.  In my collection it has certainly added Christoph Schaffrath and Conrad Friedrich Hurlebusch.  It also sounds rather splendid.

Phil.

Coopmv

Quote from: bigshot on January 25, 2013, 07:49:43 PM
Amazon.de has Sony's Vivarte 60 CD collection on preorder for 75 euro. Lots of amazing HIP performances in that box.

http://www.amazon.de/Vivarte-Collection-Various/dp/B00AOTZ156/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359175929

http://www.amazon.com/Vivarte-Collection/dp/B004FTOU6W

I probably already have half of the recordings in that box in my collection ...

Coopmv

I wonder if the Karajan Ring has been repackaged to be sold at this price point.  I paid just under $100 two years ago but that was the best price I could find at the time. 

Octave

Those of you with itchy trigger-fingers for purchasing are probably the ones who can gloat today, as it looks for the moment like those totally amazing Wagner bargains at Presto were a mistake.  The Karajan RING is back to ~US$89, the Solti collected operas is back to ~$US96.  *sigh*  Helas.