The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Olivier

scarlattiglenross

Look out for the DG Debussy Edition and Decca Ravel Edition on Amazon UK too: cheapest I've ever seen them.
http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: hafod on January 31, 2013, 12:41:39 PM
Virtually the same price (£12.18) at AmazonUK so no delivery charge if UK based.

Just ordered both Celibidache sets.

(£12.18) delivered for the French & Russian Music Set
&
(£11.88) delivered for the Sacred Music & Opera Set

I got his Bruckner set for Christmas and will more likely than not get the Symphony set to complete, after I have heard the above two.

Good link, cheers.
Tony

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 01, 2013, 06:55:28 AM
The Britten Collector's Edition has dropped from £43 to £33.47 on Amazon UK.

2 of them left.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EOOC3W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

That's still only a few dollars less than I paid. I paid $56 and this was the final cost with shipping. What does Amazon UK charge for shipping? I can't remember.

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Opus106

Quote from: listener on February 01, 2013, 12:41:09 PM
book and 6 cd/sacd Jordi Savall Alia Vox set:
Music from the time of Erasmus   EUR 20.65

It was 10 or 11 a few days ago.
Regards,
Navneeth

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 01, 2013, 07:24:45 AM
That's still only a few dollars less than I paid. I paid $56 and this was the final cost with shipping. What does Amazon UK charge for shipping? I can't remember.

AmazonUK charges a lot to ship to the US. Not as much as AmazonDe but still enough to offset any topical savings.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kishnevi

Quote from: Opus106 on February 01, 2013, 10:11:55 PM
It was 10 or 11 a few days ago.

If my admittedly limited Spanish is correct, Amazon Spain says this version requires a SACD player.

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on February 02, 2013, 08:01:48 PM
AmazonUK charges a lot to ship to the US. Not as much as AmazonDe but still enough to offset any topical savings

From the shipping confirmation on my order of the Decca Ravel Complete Edition
Item Subtotal:     £28.45
Delivery & Handling:     £3.08
Promotion Applied:     -£0.00
Total before VAT:     £31.53
Total:    £31.53
      USD 51.97

Coopmv

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 03, 2013, 04:51:38 PM
If my admittedly limited Spanish is correct, Amazon Spain says this version requires a SACD player.

From the shipping confirmation on my order of the Decca Ravel Complete Edition
Item Subtotal:     £28.45
Delivery & Handling:     £3.08
Promotion Applied:     -£0.00
Total before VAT:     £31.53
Total:    £31.53
      USD 51.97

Quite often, a somewhat better CD price from across the pond is offset by the much higher shipping cost.  It makes sense to decide where to buy based on the total cost - price of the CD, shipping cost plus sale tax if applicable.  The argument that sale tax helps protect the B&M stores just does not wash anymore, just look at how many B&M CD stores can you find in your neck of the wood.

listener

The cost to sent an international letter out of Canada is about £1.2, so a charge of  £3. or more for a package which will weigh at least double the letter seems quite reasonable.   Prices do rise, I remember when LifeSavers were 5 cents and in a particularly well-off suburb where a couple would split a package at the theatre there was a great to-do when the price rose to 6 cents.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Octave

A little redundant chatter about shipping costs. 
Shipping is what's prevented me from using Amazon Spain, at least for the items I've checked; but I'm not sure I agree with a recent comment about Amazon UK's shipping being especially high for delivery to the United States: a recent order of five items, not terribly expensive overall, yielded exactly US$2.20 per item, for box sets.  (A little advance shopping indicated significant savings even after factoring the shipping in.)  I've found that my Presto orders end up averaging a bit less per item (~$1.00-1.30) for medium-sized orders.  Importcds is a USA-domestic option I've used many times with good results and reasonably good deals, but shipping for box sets is almost always $3.50 per item, plus a one-time $1.50 surcharge per order (of any size). Berkshire Record Outlet (also USA-domestic) seems to usually end up being ~$0.60-$1.00/per item for medium-to-large orders, depending on how many individual discs are ordered.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Octave on February 03, 2013, 09:36:05 PM......but I'm not sure I agree with a recent comment about Amazon UK's shipping being especially high for delivery to the United States: a recent order of five items, not terribly expensive overall, yielded exactly US$2.20 per item, for box sets.  (A little advance shopping indicated significant savings even after factoring the shipping in.)

I wish I my luck were as good as yours, Octave. My latest AmazonUK purchase - from the UKMarketplace - netted me a tidy $5 shipping charge. And I only ordered a single CD. :(

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

The new erato

Marketplace vendors are significantly more expensive than amazon itself. It usually prevents me from buying from them.

Octave

Quote from: The new erato on February 03, 2013, 10:01:29 PM
Marketplace vendors are significantly more expensive than amazon itself. It usually prevents me from buying from them.

It's such a surprise to hear this.  For Amazon USA, I always compare the price of Amazon direct (free shipping, albeit a bit of tax, where I live) to the MP price, and I routinely save a chunk of change.  A recent 5-item order from Amazon MP saved me over $30, not even considering Amazon tax.  But maybe you mean Amazon Europe MP vendors delivering to the USA?  I definitely have not used those due to the expense, aside from that excellent LUMIERES box deal via Amazon UK (Harmonia Mundi).
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

The new erato

There's no amazon.no, so all my amazon aquisitions are cross border. US MP vendor routinely charge around 10 USD for sending single discs to Norway, and often multiply that by number of discs..... If I can find a UK vendor it's better than that, but still expensive. In 90% of cases it is better to take the higher amazon price.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: The new erato on February 03, 2013, 11:11:02 PM
There's no amazon.no, so all my amazon aquisitions are cross border. US MP vendor routinely charge around 10 USD for sending single discs to Norway, and often multiply that by number of discs..... If I can find a UK vendor it's better than that, but still expensive. In 90% of cases it is better to take the higher amazon price.

$10!!!! Wow!!! That's insane! No wonder you said that! At the least the UK and other EU countries are nearby so that you can have them delivered to a hotel or something?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Opus106

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 03, 2013, 04:51:38 PM

It's a set of 6 Hybrid SACDs, notice the logo at bottom right of the cover and at bottom left on the reverse.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 03, 2013, 11:26:18 PM
$10!!!! Wow!!! That's insane! No wonder you said that! At the least the UK and other EU countries are nearby so that you can have them delivered to a hotel or something?

Don't pity him: he gets free shipping (over 25 Pounds) at Amazon UK, and 7 Euros flat from both Amazon ES (and perhaps other Eurozone stores as well)  and JPC. :P ;D

Thread duty: Walcha's second set for under 15 Pounds at Amazon UK. Should I? Should I?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SAAX/?tag=goodmusicguideco-21
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Quote from: Opus106 on February 04, 2013, 04:58:29 AM
Don't pity him: he gets free shipping (over 25 Pounds) at Amazon UK, and 7 Euros flat from both Amazon ES (and perhaps other Eurozone stores as well)  and JPC. :P ;D

Yes, that's why even cheap MP vend offerings usually cannot compete. But of course for orders over Euro 27 Norwegian VAT tax kicks in heavily, so I keep orders small.

KeithW

Quote from: The new erato on February 03, 2013, 10:01:29 PM

I think its worth noting a broad element here: Amazon MP vendors often charge higher shipping than Amazon itself.  But VAT is only deducted from orders placed with Amazon directly, in my experience, and not with MP vendors (I am not sure of the rationale here for new items from the MP - of course, no VAT can be levied on used items).  So, in many cases, the best deals for overseas orders will be those placed with Amazon.