The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on March 22, 2013, 03:44:05 AM
Through our SDCB-scouting friend Discophage comes that news of the complete (as in "all 9 CDs boxed up") set of Schubert sonatas by Badura-Skoda.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BWUXJ1O/?tag=goodmusicgu0a-21

Pre-order price of €25.22

Man, I want that! I have it as downloads, always wanted the physical media. I suppose the odds of it being released in the States is somewhere between slim and none, and slim just left town. Or it'll be $200 instead of €26...  :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 26, 2013, 05:51:23 AM
Man, I want that! I have it as downloads, always wanted the physical media. I suppose the odds of it being released in the States is somewhere between slim and none, and slim just left town. Or it'll be $200 instead of €26...  :-\

8)

Let's see... where can we find someone who could get the box for you at French rates? ;D ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on March 26, 2013, 06:06:01 AM
Let's see... where can we find someone who could get the box for you at French rates? ;D ;)

:D  Then it would cost me €100 to get it here from Norway.   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 26, 2013, 06:11:47 AM
:D  Then it would cost me €100 to get it here from Norway.   :)

8)

Huh? ??? Or is "Norway" a euphemism for the snow-hit east coast? ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on March 26, 2013, 06:17:29 AM
Huh? ??? Or is "Norway" a euphemism for the snow-hit east coast? ;D

That could well be, but the post you linked me to was from Erato, who I thought was a denizen of Norway. Well, Norway, Massachusetts; tough to tell them apart these days. :D

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 26, 2013, 05:51:23 AM
Man, I want that! I have it as downloads, always wanted the physical media. I suppose the odds of it being released in the States is somewhere between slim and none, and slim just left town. Or it'll be $200 instead of €26... :-\

8)

I don't think so. I guess Allegro Music will distribute this set in USA, as they usually do with the Arcana catalogue.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on March 26, 2013, 06:31:23 AM
I don't think so. I guess Allegro Music will distribute this set in USA, as they usually do with the Arcana catalogue.  :)

Yes, I would think so too. Sometimes I've had good luck with that, other times I just had to go to MDT or one of the other Brits for it. When something gets labeled an "Import" over here, the price immediately skyrockets. >:(

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 26, 2013, 06:28:45 AM
That could well be, but the post you linked me to was from Erato...

8)

Hm... that's weird. It's supposed to go to that the top of the 'Paris' thread, and it works fine for me.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on March 26, 2013, 06:40:50 AM
Hm... that's weird. It's supposed to go to that the top of the 'Paris' thread, and it works fine for me.

I read my posts backwards (newest first) and so sometimes those links have unintended results. :)

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 26, 2013, 06:42:06 AM
I read my posts backwards (newest first) and so sometimes those links have unintended results. :)

8)

Oh. Will keep that in mind. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on March 26, 2013, 06:44:19 AM
Oh. Will keep that in mind. :)

Don't know what you can do different. It's a software glitch, IMO. Maybe if you link to just a specific post it will find it anyway. ???

8)

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: jut1972 on March 26, 2013, 04:03:28 AM
Tchaikovsky brilliant edition <£15 plus shipping at amazon uk!!

[asin]B005DL9O5S[/asin]

>£15 delivered free with super saver delivery...WOW what a spot!!

Hope its not too good to be true...it is Amazon so shouldn't be a pricing glitch....just a 'Clear out'  ;)

Had to order one, you never know...there may be a "GMG Lets listen to Tchaikovsky Month" on the cards?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

jut1972

its in their top 20 box sets now.. so they must have sold a fair few, but still marked as in stock.

The new erato

I ordered it. Mostly for the operas I admit.

listener

Order confirmed, and shipping cost to Canada of EUR 3.08 is covered almost by the removal of VAT.  And I still haven't opened the Haydn box bought last year!
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Elgarian

Not in the same league as the Tchaikovsky bargain, but if you're a Scheherazade enthusiast, this box contains a dazzling performance of that work, and is unmissable at Amazon UK - £4 for 5 CDs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rimsky-Korsakov-Sheherazade-Symphonies-Oeuvres-Orchestrales/dp/B000PFT1Y6/ref=zg_bs_382534011_43

madaboutmahler

Was listening to Rimsky's 2nd symphony for the first time the other day and looked up recordings and saw that very box for just £4 and ordered it within seconds! What a bargain, looking forward to it! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Elgarian on March 26, 2013, 01:34:29 PM
Not in the same league as the Tchaikovsky bargain, but if you're a Scheherazade enthusiast, this box contains a dazzling performance of that work, and is unmissable at Amazon UK - £4 for 5 CDs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rimsky-Korsakov-Sheherazade-Symphonies-Oeuvres-Orchestrales/dp/B000PFT1Y6/ref=zg_bs_382534011_43

Another fine bargain, ordered one.  Upto 4 weeks delivery.

Report back whomever gets theirs first  ;)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Octave

I hope no one minds an OT jazz digression, but this is a crazy good deal, assuming the discs sound good (Brian should know, as he owns this):

[asin]B005ELZNH0[/asin]

20 Miles Davis albums on 22 discs for £5.07 via Amazon UK.  Looks like there is already an order backlog.
I'm not a huge jazz fan anymore, but a lot of these albums are unique, key records that probably don't require a big personal investment in "jazz" as such to enjoy.  Also a wide array of remarkably disparate styles, potentially disconcerting.*  (Listen to SKETCHES OF SPAIN then ON THE CORNER, back to back.)

* I think it's bad-ass.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Opus106

Something's afoot at Amazon UK. They seem to be teasing us with these offers.
Regards,
Navneeth