The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Sadly, I see the Svetlanov/Rimsky box has climbed up to £22 now. It's worth every penny of that, but of course there's no need to rush any longer.

Thanks to Octave for the Miles Davis box tip-off - I placed an order immediately, but Amazon no longer have stock at the moment, so I'll have to wait and see whether it'll materialise.

Fafner

Quote from: Octave on March 26, 2013, 05:53:24 PM
I hope no one minds an OT jazz digression, but this is a crazy good deal, assuming the discs sound good (Brian should know, as he owns this):
[asin]B005ELZNH0[/asin]

Alas, not any more.  :(
The Tchaikovsky bargain is now gone as well.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

AnthonyAthletic

I put the Miles Davis set in my basket about 2 hours ago, just after it went up in price I checked the basket and it still said £5.07p delivered.  So I went through with it and bought it, it cleared for the five pounds although Amazon said £20+.  Its either gone through or I'll get the "so sorry...its a mistake" email later.

My Tchaikovsky set is in dispatch mode, the Rimsky set is 'to be dispatched'.

Expecting both these to be cancelled  :( ......but one never knows :)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

North Star

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 27, 2013, 03:31:54 AM
I put the Miles Davis set in my basket about 2 hours ago, just after it went up in price I checked the basket and it still said £5.07p delivered.  So I went through with it and bought it, it cleared for the five pounds although Amazon said £20+.  Its either gone through or I'll get the "so sorry...its a mistake" email later.

My Tchaikovsky set is in dispatch mode, the Rimsky set is 'to be dispatched'.

Expecting both these to be cancelled  :( ......but one never knows :)
My Svetlanov's Rimsky set order from Amazon UK says:
Order placed 24 Mar 2013
Dispatched; Delivery Estimate: Tuesday 2 April 2013
I'm pretty sure they're not lying, so I can't imagine that Rimsky order being canceled.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

MyronM

I was able to get the Tchaikovsky Brilliant and the Svetlanov Rimsky box at the sale prices.  So far the orders are still valid on Amazon.co.uk.  Crossing my fingers.....

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

jut1972

My rimsky has been dispatched, so no pricing error.   ;D 

Elgarian

And my Tchaikovsky box has been dispatched now, too.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Elgarian on March 27, 2013, 02:23:00 PM
And my Tchaikovsky box has been dispatched now, too.
I just realized that this box has the ballet suites conducted by Mravinsky. Those are great!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Octave

Very non-urgent semi-deal notice:
For those in N. America (others probably wouldn't get a good deal) not on the Arkiv Music mailing teat, they are having a "one day sale" (on a double-clutch of items, not everything) ending Thurs at midnight (EST?).  I don't see much to get excited about, though they did mark down that still-apparently-prereleased Wagner/Krauss box to $40.  Good to decent prices on other things, only about a page of items:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/listPage.jsp?list_id=3118&page_size=100&page_type=4&site_id=E1099

</shill>
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mirror Image

I usually pay more attention to Arkivmusic's 'Deal of the Day' sales. The other day they had a $100 Zubin Mehta 12-CD set on the Helicon label on sale for $19 so I jumped on it. I believe they still have this particular set for same price. Yesterday they had the Boulez Ravel/Debussy DG set on sale for a great price, if I didn't already own those recordings, I would have definitely took advantage of that deal.

Octave

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2013, 09:06:46 PM
I usually pay more attention to Arkivmusic's 'Deal of the Day' sales. The other day they had a $100 Zubin Mehta 12-CD set on the Helicon label on sale for $19 so I jumped on it. I believe they still have this particular set for same price. Yesterday they had the Boulez Ravel/Debussy DG set on sale for a great price, if I didn't already own those recordings, I would have definitely took advantage of that deal.

Indeed!  Bartok/Solti box for $20!

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 27, 2013, 04:24:43 PM
I just realized that this box has the ballet suites conducted by Mravinsky. Those are great!

Oh good! Another reason to be pleased with the package.

Call me Speedy, but I just understood for the first time why Amazon do this sort of thing. Those three boxes (Tchaikovsky, Svetlanov, and Miles Davis) are now in the top ten list of best selling box sets on Amazon - but now that the price has gone back to normal, there's no evidence that they got there because they were being almost given away for a day or two. So anyone who consults the best sellers list now will think 'Ooh, these must be good', and becomes that much more likely to assist Amazon in clearing surplus boxes at the normal price. Fiendish, eh.

AnthonyAthletic

Nice one gentlemen  :)

My Tchaikovsy has just been dispatched.  Still keeping an eye out for the Rimsky and Miles  8)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

jut1972

mine hasnt yet :( did you choose free super saver delivery?  wishing I had paid for delivery now, in theory it should make no difference stock should be reserved in the order of the orders, not the delivery mechanism.

Octave

It looks like I'm getting my Rimsky-Korsakov, but not my Tchaikovsky:
QuoteWe're writing to let you know that the price for the following item(s) was displayed incorrectly when you placed your order:

'Tchaikovsky Edition (60 CD + CD Rom Box Set)' (ASIN: B005DL9O5S)

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Conditions of Use and Sale, we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, cancel the order and notify you of that cancellation.

Your order has now been cancelled.  [...]

Alas, I bet if I'd ordered a day earlier, things might have panned out.  Exciting while it lasted!

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: jut1972 on March 28, 2013, 03:39:27 AM
mine hasnt yet :( did you choose free super saver delivery?  wishing I had paid for delivery now, in theory it should make no difference stock should be reserved in the order of the orders, not the delivery mechanism.

Tchaikovsky: Yes I did chose super saver delivery and its dispatched. 

Not yet on the Svetlanov, but it's waiting to be dispatched.

The Miles Davis just vanished from my orders! Wiped off by Amazon.  ???

Octave

Anyone who wants a still-great deal on the Brilliant Tchaikovsky Edition can find a Marketplace seller at Amazon Canada seller with the item for ~$32 Canadian; but apparently they don't ship to the USA (I tried).  I estimated the thing might come to ~US$36 or so.

scarlattiglenross

My Miles box cancelled too. Happy Easter!
http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)