The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

I won't be getting a Miles box either. Just that little too late!

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Octave

Quote from: Elgarian on March 28, 2013, 06:27:35 AM
I won't be getting a Miles box either. Just that little too late!

Quote from: Opus106 on March 28, 2013, 06:29:18 AM
Close, but Miles away.

You guys are killing me!   :P
Teo!  Teeeeeeoohhhh!
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

MyronM

I guess I won't be getting the Tchaikovsky Box.  My order is no longer showing up on the Amazon UK website.  Have not gotten a message from Amazon cancelling the order.  Oh well....

stingo

While I didn't get my Tchaikovsky box at such a nice price, I feel the need to delve into it again based on the recent interest in it on this thread.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Elgarian on March 28, 2013, 12:54:50 AM
Call me Speedy, but I just understood for the first time why Amazon do this sort of thing. Those three boxes (Tchaikovsky, Svetlanov, and Miles Davis) are now in the top ten list of best selling box sets on Amazon - but now that the price has gone back to normal, there's no evidence that they got there because they were being almost given away for a day or two. So anyone who consults the best sellers list now will think 'Ooh, these must be good', and becomes that much more likely to assist Amazon in clearing surplus boxes at the normal price. Fiendish, eh.

And what better PR than CD-hungry GMGers with multiple hookups to Amazon? :D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Elgarian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on March 28, 2013, 10:34:58 AM
And what better PR than CD-hungry GMGers with multiple hookups to Amazon? :D

Yup. They pull the bumper bargain strings and we dance to their tunes (Swan Lake in my case).

Octave

Can someone help me with the Arkiv "deal of the day"?  I wonder if sometimes it is not listed on the "splash-down" page of Arkiv's website?  I was surprised that John-MI mentioned that Boulez Debussy/Ravel from a couple days ago, because that is a set I've been wanting, and I didn't remember seeing it.  Now I am wondering if sometimes the DoD doesn't display on that first page.  As of ~4:30pm CST Thurs, I see no deal on their page, and and no special listing under their sale tab.  When I do see it, it's pictured in the right-hand column of that page.

Just curious!
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mirror Image

Octave, the 'Deal of the Day' isn't displayed on their website right now for some reason. I can't even find it. ??? Have they stopped doing this? I'll keep my eye on their site. I don't know what's going on with them.

kishnevi

I don't actually recall seeing "Deal of the Day" on Arkiv's site....

BTW, although this is rather late notice,  Arkiv is having a one day sale today (meaning it ends at midnight, 58 minutes from now).  I ordered Callas's Lucia and Roussel's Padmavati, along with some of the stuff already in my shopping cart there.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2013, 06:20:15 PM
Octave, the 'Deal of the Day' isn't displayed on their website right now for some reason. I can't even find it. ??? Have they stopped doing this? I'll keep my eye on their site. I don't know what's going on with them.

Just clicked there on Arkiv Music site and I do see it now, on the right hand side.

Brian

This is the first I'd ever heard of their Deal of the Day. Oops!

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2013, 06:55:41 AM
Just clicked there on Arkiv Music site and I do see it now, on the right hand side.

Me too. :)

hafod

Opus106

Quote from: hafod on March 30, 2013, 10:37:08 AM
Berg, Schoenberg, Webern - Staatskapelle Dresden, Giuseppe Sinopoli [8 CD] at Amazon UK for £3.66.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001HAWUKA/sr=1-1/qid=1364668271/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1364668271&seller=&sr=1-1

Nice find and thanks, I may get that. It helps to keep an eye on Warner releases. I checked a few others (after the fact) from the label had also fallen to similar prices in the last week.
Regards,
Navneeth

bogdan101

Berg, Schoenberg, Webern - Staatskapelle Dresden, Giuseppe Sinopoli [8 CD] at Amazon UK for £3.66.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001HAWUKA/sr=1-1/qid=1364668271/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1364668271&seller=&sr=1-1

Thanks, ordered. It got to the point where it's hard to tell if some of these are pricing errors or not..

Papy Oli

Thank you for this heads-up, hafod, ordered it as well. I struggle with those works/composers so not a huge gamble cost-wise to spend some time on them.
Olivier

hafod

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 31, 2013, 01:28:39 AM
..........I struggle with those works/composers so not a huge gamble cost-wise to spend some time on them.

I ordered this box for exactly the same reasons.

madaboutmahler

My Svetlanov RK arrived yesterday, just in time for me to listen to the Russian Easter Overture today! :D I see it's back to it's normal price on amazon now, so happy I got this bargain, and looking forward to listening to the rest!! Hope everyone else gets their ones OK too! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Elgarian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 31, 2013, 05:21:33 AM
My Svetlanov RK arrived yesterday, just in time for me to listen to the Russian Easter Overture today! :D I see it's back to it's normal price on amazon now, so happy I got this bargain, and looking forward to listening to the rest!! Hope everyone else gets their ones OK too! :)

Good to hear, Daniel. I think you're bound to enjoy it, and even if you don't you've hardly lost anything. My Tchaikovsky box has arrived too. 60 CDs for £14. Absurd. I've never been particularly drawn to Tchaikovsky, but this new box provides a great stimulus to give him another go.