The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Elgarian on March 31, 2013, 07:45:19 AM
Good to hear, Daniel. I think you're bound to enjoy it, and even if you don't you've hardly lost anything. My Tchaikovsky box has arrived too. 60 CDs for £14. Absurd. I've never been particularly drawn to Tchaikovsky, but this new box provides a great stimulus to give him another go.

Thanks, Alan! I'm sure I will!

That really is a massive bargain - hope you enjoy all of those!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: hafod on March 30, 2013, 10:37:08 AM
Berg, Schoenberg, Webern - Staatskapelle Dresden, Giuseppe Sinopoli [8 CD] at Amazon UK for £3.66.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001HAWUKA/sr=1-1/qid=1364668271/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1364668271&seller=&sr=1-1

Another exceedingly good spot Hafod.

Duly ordered.

My thanks...Tony

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: hafod on March 31, 2013, 01:59:40 AM
I ordered this box for exactly the same reasons.

Similar reasons too.  I've only heard Boulez and Dohnanyi doing combined works by these composers.

Really looking forward to the set.  How can anyone complain at £3.66p delivered for 8 CDs?  45 pennies each  :laugh:

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

jut1972

After posting the Tchaikovsky deal I received a mail saying it was a mis price and my order was cancelled, you can imagine my disappointment when others ordered after me were dispatched.   :(

I duly rang Amazon and pointed out if it was a mis price how come some orders made after mine were honoured after mine was ordered first?  They relented and honoured the price.  I then pointed out I had waited a fair while already and had been messed around a bit so got first class post chucked in..  I also had made use of an NUS discount and so got another 5% off  :laugh:

So good on Amazon on honouring their initial price, but the fact they claimed this was a mis price when some orders were honoured seems fishy.  I think the lesson is if we see a good deal like the Schoenberg, Berg, Webern box go for a quick delivery to get the best chance of it being dispatched.

I've gone for this and ignored my own advice  ::) I don't get this music and have bought this as it is stupid cheap, but wont be that fussed if it isn't honoured.  With my good luck on the Tchaikovsky box, I'm not going to push it!

The new erato

Quote from: jut1972 on March 31, 2013, 09:06:25 AM
After posting the Tchaikovsky deal I received a mail saying it was a mis price and my order was cancelled, you can imagine my disappointment when others ordered after me were dispatched.   :(

I duly rang Amazon and pointed out if it was a mis price how come some orders made after mine were honoured after mine was ordered first?  They relented and honoured the price.  I then pointed out I had waited a fair while already and had been messed around a bit so got first class post chucked in..  I also had made use of an NUS discount and so got another 5% off  :laugh:

So good on Amazon on honouring their initial price, but the fact they claimed this was a mis price when some orders were honoured seems fishy.  I think the lesson is if we see a good deal like the Schoenberg, Berg, Webern box go for a quick delivery to get the best chance of it being dispatched.

I've gone for this and ignored my own advice  ::) I don't get this music and have bought this as it is stupid cheap, but wont be that fussed if it isn't honoured.  With my good luck on the Tchaikovsky box, I'm not going to push it!
Mine were cancelled too, claiming it was a mispricing, which distinctly seem fishy considering many sets were shipped at the price. So the price definitely were real, and not a mispricing. Had they said they had only a limited number of sets at the discount price, I wouldn't have thought any of it, but this seems really fishy. Since it's only Tchaikovsky, I didn't bother to mak a fuss about it  ;)

jut1972

That's exactly it, if they honoured them in order received, no one would bat an eyelid, but obviously their stock control / ordering isn't as as slick as I thought it was.

kishnevi

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 31, 2013, 08:08:10 AM
Similar reasons too.  I've only heard Boulez and Dohnanyi doing combined works by these composers.

Really looking forward to the set.  How can anyone complain at £3.66p delivered for 8 CDs?  45 pennies each  :laugh:

Just ordered this too, on almost exactly the same logic.  However, being late to the thread (had a long day's work last night) it had already gone to "delivery in 6 to 9 days", so I'm probably on the bubble of "may or may not actually get this one".  And Monday is a holiday in the UK, isn't it?  Which adds one day. 
However, for less than ten dollars,  I can't complain.  The shipping to the US was actually a tad more than the price of the item itself (3.05 GBP for the price after VAT was deducted;  3.08 GBP for the shipping).

ammar

To 'compare and contrast', I ordered both the Rimsky-Korsakov/Svetlanov and Tchaikovsky sets when the deals were initially posted here (both were listed as being 'in stock' on Amazon.co.uk at the time) and chose the super-saver delivery method during check-out. After a few days, both went directly from showing 'not yet dispatched' to 'dispatched' on the 'my account' page (having skipped the usual intermediate 'too late to cancel' stage) and duly arrived yesterday.

I've also ordered the Second Viennese School/Sinopoli set, but I'm not holding out much hope that Amazon will honour the deal - in my experience, any of these ultra-deals that aren't in stock at the moment of purchase are usually cancelled at some later, arbitrary date >:( - although I still have the Sony Baroque Masters 60CD on back order/in limbo with Amazon from last October  ::)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on March 31, 2013, 07:45:19 AM
. . . My Tchaikovsky box has arrived too. 60 CDs for £14. Absurd. I've never been particularly drawn to Tchaikovsky, but this new box provides a great stimulus to give him another go.

Wonderful! And, Alan, at the very least I think you will become agreeably infatuated with Pikovaya Dama & Yevgeny Onegin.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on March 31, 2013, 11:32:14 AM
Wonderful! And, Alan, at the very least I think you will become agreeably infatuated with Pikovaya Dama & Yevgeny Onegin.

I'm all in favour of agreeable infatuations, Karl.

Generally it seems that these bargains are likely to continue to be dispatched while the stock lasts, but then are likely to collapse when stock is all gone and the need to reorder arises - if it's a mistake, I suppose it's only noticed then?

Opus106

It's the height of ridiculousness: if I understand the translated French correctly, DG is about to release its entire catalogue (or at least most of it) in a single box!

http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.in/2013/04/dg-complete-edition-en-precommande-70.html
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Quote from: Opus106 on March 31, 2013, 11:32:15 PM
It's the height of ridiculousness: if I understand the translated French correctly, DG is about to release its entire catalogue (or at least most of it) in a single box!

http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.in/2013/04/dg-complete-edition-en-precommande-70.html
blank blank blank...

Opus106

Quote from: The new erato on March 31, 2013, 11:33:35 PM
blank blank blank...

Nothing to see here; move on.
Regards,
Navneeth

Octave

Oh dear that was funny.  For a veeeery brief moment my heart started skipping in my chest.  </sick></dumb>

I didn't realize Discophage had a blog!  He seems like a very nice guy; at least, he's been rather helpful to me in the comments to several of his Amazon review/discographies.  Actually, not very helpful at all, because his method of helping is pretty overwhelming (recordings and recommendations always come in batches)....but in friendship, you take the good with the bad.   8)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Opus106

Quote from: Octave on March 31, 2013, 11:41:29 PM
I didn't realize Discophage had a blog!  He seems like a very nice guy; at least, he's been rather helpful to me in the comments to several of his Amazon review/discographies.  Actually, not very helpful at all, because his method of helping is pretty overwhelming (recordings and recommendations always come in batches)....but in friendship, you take the good with the bad.   8)

He was very briefly a member here too, and the one who started (revived?) the 'blind listening' threads.
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

He is very helpful in emptying one's bank account.

Que

Quote from: Opus106 on March 31, 2013, 11:44:53 PM
He was very briefly a member here too, and the one who started (revived?) the 'blind listening' threads.

A great pity he left!  :-\ (Another new member (who soon left after that as well) said something bad about the French...)

Hopefully he will return some day...to empty out our pockets... ;D

Q

Octave

If you guys don't know him better than I do, or have not kept in touch, I might message him via a comment at Amazon and encourage him to visit GMG again if he has not.  I like his taste and find that I am drawn to some things because of some shared points of reference.  (I've asked him about the Schubert String Quintet, but I see his most recent review is a Kagel/Widmer disc!)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Opus106 on March 31, 2013, 11:32:15 PM

Hilarious   ;D
Olivier

The new erato