The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: The new erato on April 01, 2013, 12:34:58 AM
Free shipping from amazon I guess.

Free Amazon Prime, valid from today until April 1, next year.
Regards,
Navneeth

Elgarian

Quote from: Opus106 on March 31, 2013, 11:32:15 PM
It's the height of ridiculousness: if I understand the translated French correctly, DG is about to release its entire catalogue (or at least most of it) in a single box!

http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.in/2013/04/dg-complete-edition-en-precommande-70.html

I'm wondering if it's possible to get this without all the Tchaikovsky?

The new erato

Quote from: Elgarian on April 01, 2013, 12:47:24 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible to get this without all the Tchaikovsky?
I'm sensing "the one without the Robin" here.

http://mzonline.com/bin/view/Python/BookshopSketch/

DaveF

Quote from: Opus106 on March 31, 2013, 11:32:15 PM
It's the height of ridiculousness: if I understand the translated French correctly, DG is about to release its entire catalogue (or at least most of it) in a single box!

http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.in/2013/04/dg-complete-edition-en-precommande-70.html

Do they do April Fool jokes in France?  (And btw did any UK listeners hear the piece on the Today programme this morning about railway locomotives with giant barcodes so that trainspotters can scan them with their smartphones?  I'm suspicious...)

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Karl Henning

Quote from: hafod on March 30, 2013, 10:37:08 AM
Berg, Schoenberg, Webern - Staatskapelle Dresden, Giuseppe Sinopoli [8 CD] at Amazon UK for £3.66.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001HAWUKA/sr=1-1/qid=1364668271/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1364668271&seller=&sr=1-1

Thanks for this! Even allowing for the fact that I have got a Sinopoli/Webern disc already . . . <$10 for this set is Super Duper Cheap.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

If they'd said it was EMI releasing a complete edition box set, I would've actually believed it.

AnthonyAthletic

60 cd Tchaikovsky set delivered today, yep today....Easter Monday by Courier.  Could hardly believe it myself!  No postal service on bank hols, Amazon used a courier for a free service, its gratifying.

Not had confirmation of the Svetlanov, the Sinopoli set is on order....fingers crossed, would really love the Berg, Schoenberg, Webern set....contents seem knock out.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Karl Henning

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on April 01, 2013, 07:00:10 AM
60 cd Tchaikovsky set delivered today, yep today....Easter Monday by Courier.  Could hardly believe it myself!  No postal service on bank hols, Amazon used a courier for a free service is gratifying.

Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: karlhenning on April 01, 2013, 07:00:45 AM
Sweet!

Knowing where to start, I'll probably be a boring old fart and do the violin concerto or the Pathetique!

Remember those other sets, Brahms box on Brilliant £14 took me a year to listen, the BMG Beethoven set another £14 took almost a year to do, just after doing those I won this about a year ago in a BBC Music Magazine competition, IIRC the answer was Salzburg, so how hard was the question?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[asin]B0042KWLLA[/asin]
170 CDs, haven't even opened this behemoth yet ???

Got that much to listen to, set wise, I'm slow turning into Kwoon (he of the new and sealed) variety....but that's an old joke our young uns won't understand.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Parsifal

Quote from: karlhenning on April 01, 2013, 04:00:01 AM
Thanks for this! Even allowing for the fact that I have got a Sinopoli/Webern disc already . . . <$10 for this set is Super Duper Cheap.

I have half of the contents of that box (superb, without exception) and have decided to spring for it.   Since it seems to be listed on back-order it is not clear that I will get it, but one can hope.

I also spent years deciding whether it is worth ~$100 to get the 19 disc Hogwood Mozart Symphony cycle, but the Italian version turned up on amazon.it for 22.85 Euros (no VAT).  That one did ship. 

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Opus106 on April 02, 2013, 12:41:59 AM
After having gone up for a while, it's back down -- further down (3.96).

Bought it, I still had a gift certicate, so I paid only 2 pounds ;D
Thanks Nav!

Opus106

Quote from: Harry on April 02, 2013, 12:51:54 AM
Bought it, I still had a gift certicate, so I paid only 2 pounds ;D
Thanks Nav!

You're wecome, Harry. My copy is still waiting to shipped along with the elusive Svetlanov. I think I'll save a couple of quids by cancelling part of the previous order and getting this along with the Sinopoli box. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Opus106 on April 02, 2013, 12:41:59 AM
After having gone up for a while, it's back down -- further down (3.96).

Many thanks for this Nav,

I don't own much Haydn bar the symphonies, choral religious works & his cello concerti.  These works do sound rather interesting.

I've had no confirmation yet but I can't see me getting a Svetlanov.  I now see the Sinopoli has risen to full price so this could be an indication of another no.  The Haydn, from browsing at the drop down menu still appears to have 30+ sets in stock, which doesn't mean they may let the thirty go for £4...I'll just wait for the magic word...Dispatched  ;D

Cheers again.

jut1972

The Sinopoli actually dropped a penny more at one point before going back up so if amazon claim a mis price they mispriced twice!

My Tchaikovsky box arrived today along with the Svetlanov Rimski set, these deals really are a lottery.

Papy Oli

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on April 02, 2013, 09:51:16 AM
I've had no confirmation yet but I can't see me getting a Svetlanov.  I now see the Sinopoli has risen to full price so this could be an indication of another no. 

I ordered the Rimsky/Svetlanov at £ 4.03 on the 25/03 for delivery between 11th and 26th April. Just got an email tonight that the delivery date will despatch sooner than expected for delivery between 9th and 11th April... there's hope, Tony, hang in there  ;D
Olivier

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 03, 2013, 10:07:02 AM
I ordered the Rimsky/Svetlanov at £ 4.03 on the 25/03 for delivery between 11th and 26th April. Just got an email tonight that the delivery date will despatch sooner than expected for delivery between 9th and 11th April... there's hope, Tony, hang in there  ;D

I ordered mine the day after yours, the 26th it was £4.26p at the time.  Super saver still not dispatched. I just added the £1.26p postage to see what happens for a laugh LOL. It's now at £5.52p...you never know, it's worth a shot.  Added postage payment on the Sinopoli and Haydn too  :laugh:

Fingers crossed Oli

Papy Oli

Just got the same message for the Sinopoli one as well  ;)
Olivier

Papy Oli

either that or Amazon UK is a cruel devilish bastard...  >:D
Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 03, 2013, 10:33:15 AM
either that or Amazon UK is a cruel devilish bastard...  >:D

Unlikely.

But rule nothing out
; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA