The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on April 14, 2013, 03:09:49 AM
My Rimsky set has a delayed dispatch date until early May due to "delivery problems". At least they haven't cancelled as they did the Tchaikovsky (and I want the Rimsky far more).

And you'll have Майская ночь to listen to, to celebrate!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

Quote from: karlhenning on April 16, 2013, 09:43:31 AM
And you'll have Майская ночь to listen to, to celebrate!
That will be fitting. May (!) pull out the Gergiev set in April.

kishnevi

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 03, 2013, 07:05:24 PM
Just checked my Amazon UK account and it showed this for the Sinopoli

Dispatch Estimate Monday 8 April 2013 - Thursday 11 April 2013
Delivery Estimate: Monday 15 April 2013 - Tuesday 23 April 2013 by 9:00 pm

This finally moved into the "dispatched" column today.  Delivery estimate is given (over optimistically?) for Thursday 25 April.

niknala

Berkshire Record Outlet has the 30 CD Harmonia Mundi set 'Lumieres: The Unprecedented Expansion of Music in the Age of Enlightenment' for $44.70  -- http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/search.php?row=0&brocode=153608&stocknum=&text=&filter=all&submit=Search

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 18, 2013, 05:46:53 PM
This finally moved into the "dispatched" column today.  Delivery estimate is given (over optimistically?) for Thursday 25 April.

Jeffrey,

I'd hopefully expect the Sinopoli soon if I were you.  Mine was on order for ages, since the original poster posted it on the forum.  Yesterday morning mine went to "Dispatching Soon" at 8am, then "Dispatched" at 2pm.  So its finally on the way and worth the wait.

I can't complain as I got the Tchaikovsky set, The Haydn Divertimenti set and now the Sinopoli set. 

The Svetlanov/Rimsky set is still in "Waiting Dispatch" mode on my Amazon; but does have an estimated date of delivery of 24th April.

Hope it comes through for you!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Opus106

Quote from: Opus106 on April 11, 2013, 07:06:04 AM
Well, my card has been charged and the status has changed to "Dispatching Soon" (still with a dispatch estimate of 5th :D)!

Got the NRK-Svetlanov box today! Dispatched on the 12th and received one business day before the estimated date. Not bad at all (despite the fact that it might have been sent a day earlier, as my card was charged then).

5 CDs in a large plastic casing. I shudder to imagine the size of the Myaskovsky set (unless of course he wrote very short symphonies).
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on April 19, 2013, 04:48:28 AM
Jeffrey,

I'd hopefully expect the Sinopoli soon if I were you.  Mine was on order for ages, since the original poster posted it on the forum.  Yesterday morning mine went to "Dispatching Soon" at 8am, then "Dispatched" at 2pm.  So its finally on the way and worth the wait.

I can't complain as I got the Tchaikovsky set, The Haydn Divertimenti set and now the Sinopoli set. 

The Svetlanov/Rimsky set is still in "Waiting Dispatch" mode on my Amazon; but does have an estimated date of delivery of 24th April.

Hope it comes through for you!

I'm sure it's on the way.  I'm just cautious about the delivery date:  one week is unusually swift in my experience for transatlantic mail.   I only remember that speed twice, once from Amazon France and once from an Amazon MP vendor located in Austria.  Ten days to two weeks is more normal, and in some cases up to a full month.   Amazon UK seems to fall into the two weeks category; Prestoclassical into the ten days....

Parsifal

My Sinopoli set is also reported shipped from Amazon.co.uk!  That's ~3 pounds, or a total of ~6 pounds including shipping.  I guess I've ordered enough stuff from them that they don't want to put me off by canceling.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

CPK

I'm too late. It's already gone up to £25... :(

The classic Python made up for it though!

Brian

Quote from: CPK on April 23, 2013, 11:33:47 AM

You're certainly not too late. Look underneath the big price tag: "24 new from £12.13"

Opus106

Quote from: CPK on April 23, 2013, 11:33:47 AM

Quote from: Brian on April 23, 2013, 11:45:31 AM
You're certainly not too late. Look underneath the big price tag: "24 new from £12.13"

Well, I must say, having checked Amazon just now, that the bargain has ceased to be. It's an ex-bargain.
Regards,
Navneeth

DaveF

This looks rather tempting for £13.95:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MXN29E/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

It's slightly puzzling that in this set Webern's Opp.1-31 take up 3 discs, while Boulez's complete Webern edition needs 6 - do the WoOs really need 3 discs to themselves, or is there some other corner-cutting involved?  (I know that Déserts is done minus the electronics, but you surely can't leave out any comparable chunks of a Webern piece.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 04, 2013, 06:38:49 AM
Just got the advice that my Sinopoli has dispatched  :)

Word just came in for mine! Huzzah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

listener

Quote from: DaveF on April 23, 2013, 11:56:52 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MXN29E/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

It's slightly puzzling that in this set Webern's Opp.1-31 take up 3 discs, while Boulez's complete Webern edition needs 6 - do the WoOs really need 3 discs to themselves, or is there some other corner-cutting involved?  (I know that Déserts is done minus the electronics, but you surely can't leave out any comparable chunks of a Webern piece.)
Discs 4-5-6 are Carter, Berio and Varese.  found a way to hold the page...
Disc 5: VARESE: ionisation – Amériques – Density 21.5 – Offrandes – Arcana – Octandre- Intégrales // Déserts – Hyperprism – Ecuatorial  (on disc 4 with CARTER: a Symphony of Three Orchestras
Disc 6: BERIO: Ritorno degli snovidenia – Chemins II & IV – Corale – Points on the Curve to find...
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Parsifal

Quote from: DaveF on April 23, 2013, 11:56:52 PM

The webern part of that set is the same as this

http://www.amazon.com/Anton-Webern-Complete-Works-Opp/dp/B000002707/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366823139&sr=8-2&keywords=boulez+webern

where you can see the track list in the mp3 section.  There really are 3 discs of WoO Webern.  That includes Im Somerwind.  I got the Boulez/Webern set from Sony rather than DG, because I like the audio better on the Sony recordings and I think Boulez was in his prime in the days when he was recording for Columbia/Sony.

DaveF

Thanks to both for Webern information.  I could have found it out myself, but it's usually quicker to GMG it than Google it.  It's on its way, not via Amazon but from the same Marketplace seller's eBay outlet, so I could use my currently large PayPal balance.  Looking forward to having alternative Varèse recordings too - I shall probably edit the electronic sections from the Chailly into the offending Déserts.

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

The new erato

My Rimsky set fraom amazon UK finally dispatched!

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: The new erato on April 26, 2013, 05:32:32 AM
My Rimsky set fraom amazon UK finally dispatched!

Good news, glad you got it  ;)

I got this news about an hour ago in my Amazonian Inbox.

Hello,

We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than
originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay
obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on March 27 2013.

Evgeny Svetlanov "Rimsky-Korsakov : Sheherazade, Symphonies, Oeuvres
Orchestrales"

We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon
as we receive this information.

At least they said Hello.....  :laugh:

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

niknala

I'm sad that I didn't see this in time to get it for a good price, but I'm kind of glad I won't have to stare at the CD cover.  It seems a little creepy to me with the giant conductor attacking the little ones.   Not exactly a 1950s Atlas Comics monster splash page, but still...