The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay F

Quote from: karlhenning on July 12, 2013, 09:22:52 AM
Probably you need to be a Schoenberg enthusiast to appreciate this, but $17.98 for an mp3 edition of the 5-CD set of the complete string quartets, plus is nigh unto a steal.

You're doing this on purpose, Karl.

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 12, 2013, 09:22:52 AM
Probably you need to be a Schoenberg enthusiast to appreciate this, but $17.98 for an mp3 edition of the 5-CD set of the complete string quartets, plus is nigh unto a steal.
The United States suddenly feels so much more attractive.  >:(
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Geo Dude

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 12, 2013, 11:03:11 AM
And I also just downloaded it (I hope it's in the format I need).  Interestingly, when you originally posted it,  the link skipped the instruction page, leaving me flummoxed about how to get the "free" part.

The same happened to me.  Glad to see that it's been corrected now.

Elgarian

Quote from: Opus106 on July 12, 2013, 11:04:48 AM
I noticed my mistake only today and corrected it at both places immediately.

And see how many people you pleased by doing so. I too had assumed the offer had expired, but have now taken advantage of it. Thanks Nav. Could you now please find us a Superestissimus-Duperestissimus Bargain which offers to pay us for downloading it?

Opus106

Quote from: Elgarian on July 13, 2013, 12:17:11 AM
Could you now please find us a Superestissimus-Duperestissimus Bargain which offers to pay us for downloading it?

You can find those at your nearest parallel universe.
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Thanks, O Nav! You remain Da Man!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AnthonyAthletic

Many thanks for this Nav.

I downloaded the music as FLAC, ripped to cd and listening now.

Brilliant, uplifting music!!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

flyingdutchman

Split the thread.  Make this one about physical disks.  I have no need for MP3s and don't download.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 12, 2013, 08:35:18 AM
May I make a suggestion to help the resolve the question of posting MP3s

If you're posting an MP3 bargain, add (MP3) at the end of the subject line.
If you're posting a CD bargain add (CD) at the end of the subject line.

The result will appear similar to how I added (Suggestion) to the subject line of this post.   
That way,  the posts can easily sort themselves out, and those of us who don't want MP3s will know which posts to skip over.  Those who are purely interested in MP3 will similarly know which posts to skip over. 

I suppose the time to start a distinct thread for download bargains will come, and we'll know it's the right time when MP3 downloaders start to complain about all the posts regarding CD bargains which are cluttering up this thread  :P

This thread was hijacked by downloaders unfortunately.

Karl Henning

Bargains are bargains. We who download have not "hijacked" the thread, thank you very much.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

flyingdutchman

This thread was started and for most of the pages was about physical discs.  Pages and pages about physical discs.  Only until recently has it devolved into being about MP3s.  It has been hijacked and that's unfortunate because when I come here I want to know what physical discs are on sale, not some cheap, low-rez version of a recording.

The new erato

It was started in 2007 when downloads weren't much of an issue, but there has never been specification by the OP of media, so all talk of hiijacking is an gross overreaction. I am not interested in downloads, but have never found their mention here to be much of a nuisance.

DavidW

As someone who is format agnostic, my experience with classical music is that there are far more bargains in the cd realm than there are in the downloads realm.  This naturally implies that most of the posts on this thread will be about cds... and they are.

I'm not interested in some of the bargains that people go gaga, like random asian I haven't heard of plays Beethoven for a nickel.  But I don't throw a fit if someone posts.  What is so hard about ignoring posts regarding bargains you don't care for?

Opus106

Not that this wasn't a bargain to begin with, but with the recent Chandos offers going on at the UK stores, this has truly reached SDCB status.

Lydia Mordkovitch and Gerhard Oppitz play the violin sonatas of Schubert, Schumann, Brahms (no F-A-E), Fauré and Prokofiev.

Depending on where you want it to be shipped, it might be cheaper to get it through either MDT or Europdisc, or the latter's MP store.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006ANZT/?tag=goodmusicguideco-21

Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on July 13, 2013, 11:36:45 AM
I'm not interested in some of the bargains that people go gaga, like random asian I haven't heard of plays Beethoven for a nickel.

Actually, it should be of interest, considering that it's a performer you haven't heard (and therefore, don't wish to spend a lot of money on) and it's inexpensive. Makes good sense, don't you think?
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on July 13, 2013, 11:36:45 AMI don't throw a fit if someone posts.  What is so hard about ignoring posts regarding bargains you don't care for?

Exactly. This. I'm not much interested in Bach bargains, so should I complain when people post those? The purpose of this thread is not to make every bargain posted exactly suited to your personal tastes. It's to post all the cheapest bargains we can find, so that if you want to buy them you can, and if you don't, you don't.

Elgarian

Quote from: Opus106 on July 13, 2013, 12:49:42 AM
You can find those at your nearest parallel universe.

I tried that, but they charge you to use the entry portal - so it ends up costing more than Amazon.

Karl Henning

I don't find anything about this thread unfortunate at all.

Well, maybe that I cannot (or, should not) buy all the bargains which are suggested....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Parsifal

Personally, I find it an inconvenience that MP3 and CD bargains are now mixed together because in most cases there is nothing to distinguish between the two until you follow the link and wait for Amazon to load the bargain in question.  It takes some amount of time find out whether a CD or MP3 is involved.  I've found myself not paying attention to the thread because it isn't worth the time it takes up, given that most of the bargains now turn out to be irrelevant to me.  (Actually, the last three pages seems to mainly be concerned with whether MP3 bargains should have their own thread.)

Having a thread for each media type seems sensible to me, since the relevant one would pop to the top of the listen whenever the corresponding bargain was posted.  However, that doesn't seem to be an option, since in the past MP3 bargain threads have been merged into the existing bargains thread.

Que

Quote from: Scarpia on July 13, 2013, 05:26:28 PM
Personally, I find it an inconvenience that MP3 and CD bargains are now mixed together because in most cases there is nothing to distinguish between the two until you follow the link and wait for Amazon to load the bargain in question.  It takes some amount of time find out whether a CD or MP3 is involved.  I've found myself not paying attention to the thread because it isn't worth the time it takes up, given that most of the bargains now turn out to be irrelevant to me.  (Actually, the last three pages seems to mainly be concerned with whether MP3 bargains should have their own thread.) Having a thread for each media type seems sensible to me, since the relevant one would pop to the top of the listen whenever the corresponding bargain was posted.

Finally, we're discussing the real issue at hand. And you've been able to come up with the first argument in favour of separate threads that actually makes sense.
(Full disclosure: I personally don't use downloads as a format.)

QuoteHowever, that doesn't seem to be an option, since in the past MP3 bargain threads have been merged into the existing bargains thread.

Oops, we're back to square one again.... I do not see the point of your persistent insinuations about the moderating. Please stick to what you know instead of making biased assumptions.

FYI there was only the one, small, defunct, MP3 bargains thread. There has never been a policy the eliminate such threads - it's rather the mirror image: the general thread was never restricted to CDs, so any posts on MP3s were not eliminated. It is only when someone pointed the small defunct thread out as the appropriate thread to post MP3 bargains and thereby declaring this thread off limits, that IMO a confusing situation arose about the fact whether MP3 posts were allowed or not, hence the merger. To maintain the status quo, I might ad.

But I'll take the argument of recognizability into consideration, if others members feel the same. It could mean that this thread would have to be policed to move posts about MP3s.

Q