The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

It would be cruel of me to say what I paid for the Vernet set. But with shipping it was under $25 ... new.
Anyway, the Leonhardt 15 CD box is going for about 25 on Amazon US at the moment, and the DG complete Debussy is down to about 45.
And this http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Stoltzman-Clarinet-Concertos-Sonatas/dp/B008CG1HRE/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1379096891&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=stolzman+box is going for about $17!

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on September 13, 2013, 10:59:37 AM
Membran has a 10 cd digital box of British symphonic music going for $12
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VRXEXI/sr=1-9/qid=1379098430/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1379098430&seller=&sr=1-9

That is, by the way, the set I was referring to in this post:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,22200.msg740211
Let me take a stab at this; and I'll try to limit myself, with one exception, to composers active in the 20th-21th centuries.

Alan Bush: Symphony No. 1 in C Major, Op. 21
H. Villa-Lobos:  Choros.   Any and all of them.
N. Gade: Symphony No. 4 (that's the exception)
E. Meyer: Quintet for two violins, viola, 'cello, and double bass
Penderecki: Sextet

The Bush I have as part of a set from Membran,  "The British Music Collection".The only recording of the Meyer which I know of is on DG, with Emerson SQ and the composer performing; it's paired with the Emersons playing a quartet by Rorem.
Penderecki I have on a Naxos CD of his (wind oriented) chamber music, but I'm sure there's at least one other recording available.
The Villa Lobos is available as a box set from BIS, and the Gade I have as part of another BIS set.

I would have in fact made an entry for Atterberg's symphonies (another case of any and all of them, as far as I'm concerned) but obviously he's got advocates already on this thread.

ETA:  This being GMG,  Bush is of course a known quantity, with his own thread and all,  starting here:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,10535.msg261350.html#msg261350

The Elgar CD is, IMO, mediocre, and the Delius CD is tedious (there's a melodrama with a really annoying speaker), but the rest ranges from good to outstandingly excellent (the Bush symphony), and at this price, it's worth getting for the Bush symphony alone.

Ken B

Archiv's terrific Baroque Box is available new for under $90 http://www.amazon.com/The-All-Baroque-Box-Monteverdi/dp/B008BP1LS6/ref=pd_cp_m_1 It's superb, but standard rep mostly.

Finally Sony is releasing a complete Fritz Reiner set, 63 discs, but I haven't seen any good prices yet.

Que

Quote from: Ken B on September 13, 2013, 11:16:10 AM
Archiv's terrific Baroque Box is available new for under $90 http://www.amazon.com/The-All-Baroque-Box-Monteverdi/dp/B008BP1LS6/ref=pd_cp_m_1 It's superb, but standard rep mostly.

Finally Sony is releasing a complete Fritz Reiner set, 63 discs, but I haven't seen any good prices yet.

Good grief!!! :o :o I missed about that one - there is a real deluge of box sets these days.... ::)

Q

DavidW

Thanks Ken I ordered that along with their Zemlinsky set. 8)

Octave

For those in North America, you might find a good deal at Barnes and Noble.  They seem to be having a wideranging "40% off classical music" sale (I cannot see when it ends), to which you can add this coupon taking off an additional 15% (off one item only), which expires Sept 22 (no idea what time).  I think you can get the coupon at the BN site; a link was sent to me by email...I am not sure if it's a unique coupon code or not.

Even after sales tax, I can get a significantly cheaper deal on a couple things I want.  The new Britten/Decca COMPLETE WORKS looks like it would come to ~$221 all-in, which is cheaper than anywhere I have seen, including several Euro Amazons.

BN has been sending out these little 15% coupons every week or two for some time now.  I think I get them because I subscribed to their sales/coupons newsletter.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Octave on September 19, 2013, 12:14:58 AM
For those in North America, you might find a good deal at Barnes and Noble.  They seem to be having a wideranging "40% off classical music" sale (I cannot see when it ends), to which you can add this coupon taking off an additional 15% (off one item only), which expires Sept 22 (no idea what time).  I think you can get the coupon at the BN site; a link was sent to me by email...I am not sure if it's a unique coupon code or not.

Even after sales tax, I can get a significantly cheaper deal on a couple things I want.  The new Britten/Decca COMPLETE WORKS looks like it would come to ~$221 all-in, which is cheaper than anywhere I have seen, including several Euro Amazons.

BN has been sending out these little 15% coupons every week or two for some time now.  I think I get them because I subscribed to their sales/coupons newsletter.
These can be a good deal - for example the Haydn/Angeles box, Raff/Symphonies, Haydn/Dorati Operas, etc.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

kishnevi

Quote from: Octave on September 19, 2013, 12:14:58 AM

And if you belong to the BN member program, you get a coupon in the email for 20 percent off instead of 15.  (The prime attraction is free shipping when ordering from BN.com and 10 percent off purchases from their brick and mortar sight.)  They do not apparently work for pre-ordering upcoming releases. 
Usually they arrive in my email box on Thursday  and are good for in store purchases up to the close of business on Sunday/on line orders through 3 AM (New York time, so that would be midnight California time) Monday morning.  They come most weeks, but not always.  The code is a unique, one time use.

I clicked mine into the email trash bin a few minutes ago, but I didn't know about that 40 percent off sale....I wanted to avoid temptation--several big bills coming up next month.  Of course, that didn't keep me from making another order at Presto day before yesterday.....

listener

Three of the 14-disc Concertgebouw anthologies at
at http://www.amazon.de/Anthology-Vol-4-Haitink-Harnoncourt-Kondrashin/dp/B000MV93V4/ref=sr_1_533?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1380165471&sr=1-533&keywords=concertgebouw+orchestra
13.51 and 19.62 EUROS ¸each
Look  in presto for the complete listings
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/RCO%2BLive/RCO12004
and amazon.de have confirmed the order, deducting the VAT (or its German equivalent) which will cover about half the postage cost to Canada.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Opus106

Quote from: listener on September 25, 2013, 07:34:07 PMamazon.de have confirmed the order, deducting the VAT (or its German equivalent) which will cover about half the postage cost to Canada.

Have they simply acknowledged the order or confirmed shipping, too? I ask, because it's been in that 1-3/2-4 weeks away state for almost ten days, and I haven't received any mails regarding shipping since then.

Oh, and I also managed to order Vol. 4 for £14 (shipping included) from UK, but it was listed as 'Temporarily out of stock' then, and now not listed at all. I don't have much hope for that one.
Regards,
Navneeth

listener

Quote from: Opus106 on September 25, 2013, 09:38:34 PM
Have they simply acknowledged the order or confirmed shipping, too? I ask, because it's been in that 1-3/2-4 weeks away state for almost ten days, and I haven't received any mails regarding shipping since then.
Mein Deutsch ist her wenig, aber es ist genug für Tpuristen sein - seems adequate when trying to help tourists here, I did get a shipping date
Lieferung voraussichtlich:
Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2013 -
Donnerstag, 14. November 2013

which shows some potential or delivery in time for Christmas.  I navigate the German site rather blindly and if I get a confirmation feel relieved.    3 of each set are still available at this time
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Opus106

Quote from: listener on September 25, 2013, 10:13:20 PM
Mein Deutsch ist her wenig, aber es ist genug für Tpuristen sein - seems adequate when trying to help tourists here, I did get a shipping date
Lieferung voraussichtlich:
Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2013 -
Donnerstag, 14. November 2013

which shows some potential or delivery in time for Christmas.  I navigate the German site rather blindly and if I get a confirmation feel relieved.    3 of each set are still available at this time

Okay, thanks. :) Except for the dates, that's pretty much what I have received so far.
Regards,
Navneeth

niknala

Quote from: listener on September 25, 2013, 07:34:07 PM
Three of the 14-disc Concertgebouw anthologies at
at http://www.amazon.de/Anthology-Vol-4-Haitink-Harnoncourt-Kondrashin/dp/B000MV93V4/ref=sr_1_533?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1380165471&sr=1-533&keywords=concertgebouw+orchestra
13.51 and 19.62 EUROS ¸each
Look  in presto for the complete listings
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/RCO%2BLive/RCO12004
and amazon.de have confirmed the order, deducting the VAT (or its German equivalent) which will cover about half the postage cost to Canada.

Looks like around three sets are in print now.  What do people think of these sets?

marvinbrown

Heads up: the Krauss Ring can be had for £11.99 on amazon.co.uk........ To hear Hans Hotter, in his prime for that price is an absolute STEAL!!!!!

[asin]B0000X6G46[/asin]

And that's for the CDs NOT mp3!!!!!

Grab it and run.........

marvin

springrite

Quote from: marvinbrown on September 29, 2013, 08:02:16 AM
  Heads up: the Krauss Ring can be had for £11.99 on amazon.co.uk........ To hear Hans Hotter, in his prime for that price is an absolute STEAL!!!!!

[asin]B0000X6G46[/asin]

And that's for the CDs NOT mp3!!!!!

Grab it and run.........

marvin
Where?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

KeithW

Quote from: niknala on September 26, 2013, 06:46:58 PM
Looks like around three sets are in print now.  What do people think of these sets?

I think they are great - I have sets 2 through 6 - and have just ordered #7 from amazon.de

The recordings are of fine quality, and there is a blend of standard repertoire with great artists, and some less frequently performed pieces.