The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyronM

Quote from: listener on September 25, 2013, 07:34:07 PM
Three of the 14-disc Concertgebouw anthologies at
at http://www.amazon.de/Anthology-Vol-4-Haitink-Harnoncourt-Kondrashin/dp/B000MV93V4/ref=sr_1_533?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1380165471&sr=1-533&keywords=concertgebouw+orchestra
13.51 and 19.62 EUROS ¸each
Look  in presto for the complete listings
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/RCO%2BLive/RCO12004
and amazon.de have confirmed the order, deducting the VAT (or its German equivalent) which will cover about half the postage cost to Canada.

Ordered Vol. 7 to complete my set.  They originally sent a confirmation with a delivery date of October 29, but today I received an e-mail from them with a new delivery date of October 9.  Made my day....

Todd

$101, shipping included in the US, for the 144 CD Rubinstein Edition when ordered directly from ImportCDs.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Opus106

Quote from: MyronM on September 30, 2013, 10:39:43 AM
Ordered Vol. 7 to complete my set.  They originally sent a confirmation with a delivery date of October 29, but today I received an e-mail from them with a new delivery date of October 9.  Made my day....

All three boxes have been shipped today and are expected to be delivered on the 8th. For some reason, they split it 2-1. :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Todd on September 30, 2013, 10:53:41 AM
$101, shipping included in the US, for the 144 CD Rubinstein Edition when ordered directly from ImportCDs.

Link por favor? Their website's search is not revealing it.

Dennis Russell Davies' Haydn symphony box is on ImportCDs for a whopping $20.

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on September 30, 2013, 11:51:29 AM
Link por favor? Their website's search is not revealing it.

http://www.importcds.com/music/2358603/arthur-rubinstein-the-complete-album-collection
("Rubinstein"->Filter items between $50 and $100)

Quote from: Brian on September 30, 2013, 11:51:29 AM
Dennis Russell Davies' Haydn symphony box is on ImportCDs for a whopping $20.

It's interesting that their list price is $29.97, when a few weeks ago we, or at least I thought that was a super bargain to be had from Amazon.
Regards,
Navneeth

Todd

Quote from: Brian on September 30, 2013, 11:51:29 AMDennis Russell Davies' Haydn symphony box is on ImportCDs for a whopping $20.

I'm half-tempted to buy 3-4 copies to hold and resell later.  That price is obscenely low.  I remember when I bought mine for around $75; I thought that was a good price for 37 new CDs.

Parsifal

Quote from: Todd on September 30, 2013, 12:12:02 PMI'm half-tempted to buy 3-4 copies to hold and resell later.  That price is obscenely low.  I remember when I bought mine for around $75; I thought that was a good price for 37 new CDs.

Looking up my old order, I paid $67, and felt very smug.

trung224

Quote from: listener on September 25, 2013, 07:34:07 PM
Three of the 14-disc Concertgebouw anthologies at
at http://www.amazon.de/Anthology-Vol-4-Haitink-Harnoncourt-Kondrashin/dp/B000MV93V4/ref=sr_1_533?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1380165471&sr=1-533&keywords=concertgebouw+orchestra
13.51 and 19.62 EUROS ¸each
Look  in presto for the complete listings
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/RCO%2BLive/RCO12004
and amazon.de have confirmed the order, deducting the VAT (or its German equivalent) which will cover about half the postage cost to Canada.
Look like I will be the first one to receive these set when they come on 04 October. :D

Thank again ,listener, for your wonderful post here.

jut1972

Quote from: Opus106 on September 30, 2013, 12:03:00 PM
http://www.importcds.com/music/2358603/arthur-rubinstein-the-complete-album-collection
("Rubinstein"->Filter items between $50 and $100)

It's interesting that their list price is $29.97, when a few weeks ago we, or at least I thought that was a super bargain to be had from Amazon.

All your music are offering this <20 from amazon uk so the $30 price may be right

Ken B

Has anyone heard the DRD Haydn? I read about engineering problems. But I'd trust reviews here more.

. I have the Fischer Haydn, which is excellent, and the Hogwood, which is the best orchestral Haydn I have ever heard, plus Weill, and various stray bits in HIP. I got Hogwood cheap at Amazon UK recently and Fischer is dirt cheap im MP3. Hard to justify a third set even at $20 ...

Octave

Quote from: Ken B on October 02, 2013, 07:56:09 AM
Has anyone heard the DRD Haydn? I read about engineering problems. But I'd trust reviews here more.

. I have the Fischer Haydn, which is excellent, and the Hogwood, which is the best orchestral Haydn I have ever heard, plus Weill, and various stray bits in HIP. I got Hogwood cheap at Amazon UK recently and Fischer is dirt cheap im MP3. Hard to justify a third set even at $20 ...

I know what you mean.  When the price dropped that low, I finally caved and bought the thing.  Here is an extensive review of the Davies set by Antony Hodgson, which Gurn shared with me:
http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_features.php?id=7862
It gets rather technical but is temperate and complimentary of some symphonies.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Parsifal

I can't imagine what the "engineering problems" are.  I'd say it is above-average sound quality.

The applause is the only gripe I have.  The fact that they seem to be real live recordings gives them a sense of occasion, rather than the polish of a studio recording where multiple takes are made of every passage to get it "perfect."

Todd

Quote from: Scarpia on October 02, 2013, 08:56:43 AMI can't imagine what the "engineering problems" are.  I'd say it is above-average sound quality.

I've seen critiques about some bad edits, which I can't recall, and I believe some phase issues, which I did not hear.  Overall, for a big box of live recordings, the sound is superb, and generally better than the Adam Fischer set, especially in the London Symphonies. 

Ken B

Tempting to get the DRD Haydn as a gift. But then I need to figure out who for?
Here is a link to a single movement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5SzEKbe-uk Well played but a bit slow, and the harpsichord is pretty forward.
I suspect I am gonna pass, which makes me think they'll never sell it as I buy everything. Well, except for Darmstadt stuff!

DavidW

I've heard several recordings from Naxos, the Fischer, and the Hogwood and consider the Davies to offer the best sound quality.  I just wish they didn't have applause at the end of each work.

DavidW

Quote from: Scarpia on October 02, 2013, 08:56:43 AM
I can't imagine what the "engineering problems" are.  I'd say it is above-average sound quality.

The applause is the only gripe I have.  The fact that they seem to be real live recordings gives them a sense of occasion, rather than the polish of a studio recording where multiple takes are made of every passage to get it "perfect."

Yes I hate the applause.  I can't seem to get used to it.

Parsifal

Quote from: DavidW on October 02, 2013, 10:49:41 AM

If you transfer the to computer it's relatively easy to clip off the applause. 

Mirror Image

Great news!!! It appears that Amazon.de has shipped my three sets of RCO Anthologies (Vols. 5-7)! Yes! I wonder if listener's sets have been shipped too? What an unbelievable deal for these three sets.

kishnevi

Quote from: DavidW on October 02, 2013, 10:49:41 AM

I don't mind applause, so I ordered it.   

BTW,  Import CDs tacks on a shipping charge of $5 (for US delivery, at least), so it's really $25.05