The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Octave on January 09, 2014, 10:16:10 PM
Jeje, it's nice to know there is at least one other categorical Box Freak on the premises.  I know I will need Haitink's Mahler #9, but fortunately I can purchase that separately.  Otherwise, your reasoning is mine, with no deprecation meant towards the maestro.
Late thanks btw for your generous description of the huge DG/Sony Giulini set over in the Purchases thread.  That is useful!

What a relief, to know I am not alone in my box-buying mania...a freak no more ;D

And about the box info, it was my pleasure. I've read so much useful information in these forums, its nice to be able to give back a little something. 
It's all good...

hafod

Gergiev's Mahler cycle (10 hybrid SACDs) with the LSO on LSO Live, can be had for £20 from AmazonUk.

Ken B

"Box buying freak"
You realize we're all just enablers of each other.

I swear off boxes for a while, I have well over a hundred unheard discs in my new acquistions pile. And then ...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on January 13, 2014, 03:31:48 PM

I swear off boxes for a while, I have well over a hundred unheard discs in my new acquistions pile. And then ...

I swear off boxes all the time...but so far I haven't been able to lay off for more than a week or two.  But you are right, it's the responsible thing to do.
  BTW,
     Have you seen the new Westminster Legacy Box? It's beautiful....
It's all good...

betty

Ken B

An Amazon US vendor has the emi Poulenc box, 20 cds, for under $50

Even better, for those who missed the DHM 50 box, half of it, 25 cd, at Amazon Canada for $30
http://www.amazon.ca/Perfect-Deutsche-Harmonia-Mundi/dp/B00CA6Y7RO/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389758748&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=Dhm+box+discotheque
If you dont have the bigger box get this!

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

betty

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 13, 2014, 08:07:53 PM
BTW,
     Have you seen the new Westminster Legacy Box? It's beautiful....

This seems to be a remake of some sort - I bought the Westminster Chamber set last year, which I think came from Universal Korea, but found the sound too thin and returned it. An Orchestral box was also available. This new release is from Deutsche Grammophon, with revised packaging. I wonder about the relationship between these sets, and if the sound has been improved. 

NLK1971

32cd box of Ansermet's recordings of French music.  Currently around £45 at Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Music-Ansermet/dp/B00DT2322E/

[asin]B00DT2322E[/asin]

Amazon crush my resistance yet again... しょうがない。

Mookalafalas

Quote from: betty on January 15, 2014, 04:40:23 PM
This seems to be a remake of some sort - I bought the Westminster Chamber set last year, which I think came from Universal Korea, but found the sound too thin and returned it. An Orchestral box was also available. This new release is from Deutsche Grammophon, with revised packaging. I wonder about the relationship between these sets, and if the sound has been improved.

Betty, the original Korean version of the orechestral box had 65 cds, and the new version through DG has only 40. I know a lot of them are the same, but didn't do a disc by disc comparison. 
  I have the Universal Korea Westminster chamber box as well. It was almost all recorded in the 1950s, some in 1949, so the sound isn't as good as more recent recordings.  There is background hiss in some discs, so could see why you might not be satisfied with the sound, although for that era it's considered pretty good (compare it to the Furtwangler and Toscanini stuff out there, for example, and it sounds pretty awesome, recording-wise!).  The packaging and book are NOT as good as the Korean version, unfortunately.   
It's all good...

Harry

At JPC de, there is a big sale of Hyperion discs, for 5,99 euro's. Go to their page, click Neuheiten ( New) and 190 of them appear.  top of the page on the right.
Enjoy. Bought a ton of them already.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

betty

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 16, 2014, 02:48:21 AM
  Betty, the original Korean version of the orechestral box had 65 cds, and the new version through DG has only 40. I know a lot of them are the same, but didn't do a disc by disc comparison. 
  I have the Universal Korea Westminster chamber box as well. It was almost all recorded in the 1950s, some in 1949, so the sound isn't as good as more recent recordings.  There is background hiss in some discs, so could see why you might not be satisfied with the sound, although for that era it's considered pretty good (compare it to the Furtwangler and Toscanini stuff out there, for example, and it sounds pretty awesome, recording-wise!).  The packaging and book are NOT as good as the Korean version, unfortunately.

Thanks Baklavaboy. I should have mentioned that part of my thinking about the thin sound was with regard to HIP - I much prefer the more recent HIP/original instruments style of playing, and these Westminster recordings, which are not HIP, sounded 'thin' in that regard also. 

Mookalafalas

The original Living Stereo 60 CD box is $61 at import CDs.  They loaded up the discs with lots of extras (often a whole other album), and they are name performers, too. (Lots of Reiner, Heiffetz, Rubinstein, Munch, etc).
It's all good...

jut1972

The rubinstein, Perahia and Vivarte boxes are all cheap too.

Ken B

Ah dammit Baklavaboy, I didn't have that box. So now I do. At that price it would insulting not to buy it!

stingo

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 23, 2014, 04:54:38 AM
The original Living Stereo 60 CD box is $61 at import CDs.  They loaded up the discs with lots of extras (often a whole other album), and they are name performers, too. (Lots of Reiner, Heiffetz, Rubinstein, Munch, etc).

Mine's backordered - order placed on Jan 16.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: stingo on January 25, 2014, 04:49:00 PM
Mine's backordered - order placed on Jan 16.
They can be really slow! I have two things I ordered a month ago that haven't even been shipped yet.

Quote from: Ken B on January 25, 2014, 04:29:17 PM
Ah dammit Baklavaboy, I didn't have that box. So now I do. At that price it would insulting not to buy it!
$1 a disc, for stuff at this quality level, it's silly to not get it.  And they even add bonus tracks!
It's all good...

hafod

The 152cd RCO Radio Legacy set is available for £84.98 new from a marketplace seller on Amazon.uk. The ASIN is B00G6N4GLO. Four copies at time of posting.

jut1972

Hi Hafod,
I saw your post on the r3 forum for this one so thanks for highlighting it  ;D
Have you had a shipping notice yet?