The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A1_DAN

The Living Stereo Collection Vol 2 which was available for preorder at under £50stg is now unavailable on Amazon.co.uk
Has anyone who preordered been advised of any delays.
Sorry I can't link to t at the moment.

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 06, 2014, 03:08:29 AM
The Rubenstein is weird. It went down below $100 and now it is up to $275.  Weird stuff going on over there...
I'd have bought had I seen it under 100. But at the current price it has no appeal.
I bought Perahia when he fell to a silly price, and really like.

AnthonyAthletic

Anyone in the UK confirm that Amazon have currently taken the RCA Living Stereo Vol II off their sales?

Has the release date been delayed?  Its up on the JPC site for this Month End, but all we have on UK Amazon is "Sign up to be notified when this is to be released" etc.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: A1_DAN on March 06, 2014, 06:10:41 AM
The Living Stereo Collection Vol 2 which was available for preorder at under £50stg is now unavailable on Amazon.co.uk
Has anyone who preordered been advised of any delays.
Sorry I can't link to t at the moment.

:D Didn't see your post A1...same question from myself.

I can't find the pre order page for Vol II

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Ken B

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 06, 2014, 06:43:59 AM
:D Didn't see your post A1...same question from myself.

I can't find the pre order page for Vol II
Mr Reliable, Prestoclassical.co.uk , has it for under $100 delivered to the USA.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on March 06, 2014, 06:16:22 AM
I bought Perahia when he fell to a silly price
This week in out-of-context quotes!

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on March 06, 2014, 06:49:31 AM
This week in out-of-context quotes!
Not only does he play while I dine, but he makes a mean Beef Wellington, and does the vacuuming. Everybody should own one.

hafod

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 06, 2014, 06:42:34 AM
Anyone in the UK confirm that Amazon have currently taken the RCA Living Stereo Vol II off their sales?

Has the release date been delayed?  Its up on the JPC site for this Month End, but all we have on UK Amazon is "Sign up to be notified when this is to be released" etc.

I have had this on pre-order since 10 February, and have had an email this morning saying that the release date has been put back by the supplier and delivery estimate now 3-5 April. No question of the order being rescinded.

Mookalafalas

Yeah, the living stereo has been delayed twice--they say by the supplier.  Be waiting another month, I guess.  I'd cancel it if it weren't so darned cheap :-\
It's all good...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 06, 2014, 07:19:06 AM
I'd cancel it if it weren't so darned cheap :-\
Because you have nothing to listen to in the meantime?!?!?! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: hafod on March 06, 2014, 07:14:20 AM
I have had this on pre-order since 10 February, and have had an email this morning saying that the release date has been put back by the supplier and delivery estimate now 3-5 April. No question of the order being rescinded.

Was it appx £44?  I didn't order it then (mistake) and it jumped up to £53, went down on Tuesday to £48 and got its unavailable till later pull yesterday.

I knew I should have dropped in at the £44 stage  ???

Just bought two sets; the Maazel Strauss and the mixed 7cd orchestral Strauss issue both recently issued on Sony Masters....good deal, from a Canada MP Seller whom I've used before.  Got the Reiner Strauss off them too.  Beaches Music Canada.

hafod

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 06, 2014, 07:19:06 AMI'd cancel it if it weren't so darned cheap :-\

'Face' and 'nose' springs to mind if you do that. Anyway, think of it as an opportunity to make a small inroad into clearing a litle of the backlog of yet to be listened to purchases.   ;D

Pat B

Quote from: hafod on March 06, 2014, 08:00:13 AM
'Face' and 'nose' springs to mind if you do that. Anyway, think of it as an opportunity to make a small inroad into clearing a litle of the backlog of yet to be listened to purchases.   ;D

...and also the backlog-to-be of things that he hasn't purchased yet.

hafod

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 06, 2014, 07:58:54 AM
Was it appx £44?  I didn't order it then (mistake) and it jumped up to £53, went down on Tuesday to £48 and got its unavailable till later pull yesterday.

I knew I should have dropped in at the £44 stage  ???

Just bought two sets; the Maazel Strauss and the mixed 7cd orchestral Strauss issue both recently issued on Sony Masters....good deal, from a Canada MP Seller whom I've used before.  Got the Reiner Strauss off them too.  Beaches Music Canada.

£48 on 10 February - I was unaware that it dropped to £44 subsequently. The Amazon price guarantee should mean (I think), that I get charged the lowest price since ordering.

I agree about Beaches Music - all my transactions with them have been very positive.

hafod

Here's one if a door-stop is needed:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Zauber-der-Operette-100CD-Box/hnum/1841767

On the other hand if operetta floats your boat, then the 100cds for €50 may be of interest, in which case further info below:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=777843

jut1972

Quote from: hafod on March 06, 2014, 08:06:59 AM
£48 on 10 February - I was unaware that it dropped to £44 subsequently. The Amazon price guarantee should mean (I think), that I get charged the lowest price since ordering.

I agree about Beaches Music - all my transactions with them have been very positive.

I don't think it's ever been £44?  I pre ordered 11th Dec and it's showing £48.62 for me.  Delivery estimate at 3rd to 5th April.  Hopefully I'm wrong!
If there is a price drop it can take up to 48 hours to show on a pre order.

AnthonyAthletic

You must have missed it, it was priced at £43.86 before the £48.62 mark.

Then it went up into the £53 bracket and back down to £48 before being hiked off.

Ken B

Has Naxos bought Sony?

Something akin to what happened to the second living stereo box is just happened to nearly every Sony box on Amazon. And while the labeling on the box says Sony if you look in the listing it says Naxos of America.
Ordered couple of boxes sometime ago, and I looked in my order list in Amazon. It shows boxes that were delivered months ago as being pre-ordered and scheduled for release on 25 March.

This would be very bad of course vastly reducing the amount of competition.

Ken B

That Levine Mahler box for instance, in stock yesterday and available from MP vendors is shown as available on 25 March, and no longer available from any MP.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on March 06, 2014, 06:16:22 AM
I'd have bought had I seen it under 100. But at the current price it has no appeal.
I bought Perahia when he fell to a silly price, and really like.

Artur and Murray both fell to silly prices at the same time,  which is why Brian and I (and others?) got them both.  But unlike Murray, the silly price was available only from your favorite vendor (NOT!) so maybe that's why you didn't see it.  (Although at that time they were not yet your favorite vendor.)

That was the order which I had chase after the UPS truck because it just drove past my house, and apparently had no intention of stopping to check for the house number....good thing I knew it was due for delivery that day and was home instead of at work!

Quote from: Ken B on March 06, 2014, 05:41:23 PM
Has Naxos bought Sony?

Something akin to what happened to the second living stereo box is just happened to nearly every Sony box on Amazon. And while the labeling on the box says Sony if you look in the listing it says Naxos of America.
Ordered couple of boxes sometime ago, and I looked in my order list in Amazon. It shows boxes that were delivered months ago as being pre-ordered and scheduled for release on 25 March.

This would be very bad of course vastly reducing the amount of competition.

I don't think Naxos is big enough to actually buy Sony;  perhaps they took over distribution?
[ETA: Or perhaps bought their classical catalogue, again not necessarily a bad thing]

Although I'm not sure Naxos taking over Sony and using Sony's resources to produce its current range of offerings is a bad thing.